[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #300 on: September 15, 2011, 13:37:44 »
Haha, the newest verb: knytting!

Not that new, actually. It was invented by the_Jack (who, sadly, seems to have disappeared after a short and promising stay on the forum).

Also, keep at it! We're all still here to support you!

Awwwww. (Group hug!) ;-)

No, seriously. I'm grateful. And I wish I could work on this a bit faster than I am. Or at least give you more screenshots. But I've become too aware of the risk of oversaturating the forum with those...

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 15, 2011, 16:09:32 »
This thread always cheers me up :) Glad to hear you're still working on this!
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2011, 00:29:44 »
This thread always cheers me up :)

Hearing that cheers *me* up! :)

Oh, and: two new screens. Again, one of them is the beginning of a new area, and at the moment that new area almost makes me choke with a kind of baffled gratefulness at its beauty. (Yeah, I know, self-praise... but, for what it's worth, a lot of the time when I'm working on my level it doesn't even feel like it's me doing the work. I just kind of go into a sort of trance and when I re-emerge something new, and sometimes quite beautiful, is there on the screen, and I'm amazed. That happened today, and I lovelovelove the result.)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2011, 00:29:07 »
Two new screens. Nearing the completion of one of the last few larger areas in this part of the level.

I'm currently leaning towards publishing the rest of the level in three instead of in two parts again - which would mean releasing the "right" side of the world separately from the "left" side of it (and then the "top" later on). All the work I've done recently happened to be on the "right" side of the world, which means that - at least in terms of the building itself - that part is now fairly close to completion. (Still needs cats, knytts, dialogue, shifts and the like, of course.) The "left" side is rather more unfinished - maybe two thirds of that already exist, as compared to perhaps five sixths of the "right" part. (And the "top" part, for that matter, I haven't even started building yet - that was always supposed to be released as a separate part.)

The main problem with this plan is that I've grown uncertain about the cosmology/history behind my world, and that makes it difficult, at this point, to write any of the dialogue, especially the cat dialogue.

Hm.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2011, 13:56:05 »
Then again, if I released the left and right side of the world in one, I could hide the remaining keys and abilities in a less linear way, and the players would get a more far-ranging exploring experience out of it all. That's probably more fun than exploring two smaller, more linear parts of the world separately.

And, oh damn, I just realised I also still need to find music before I can even think of releasing even just one part. Lots of music. Arrgh.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #305 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:47 »
Finding a lot of music that works together is tough. Good luck with that.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:26 »
I have made some tracks myself, most of which can be found in the development sub. If you like it, you can PM me for some more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2011, 03:09:53 »
4 more.

So tired....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:04:16 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2011, 01:12:52 »
Just one.

Pretty. Purple.

Zydragazum

« Reply #309 on: January 04, 2012, 18:42:37 »
You still have all of our support. :) Keep going, Hmpf.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2012, 15:39:45 »
Seconded! Keep working hard in the new year!

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2012, 07:35:53 »
Is this still in progress? I'd love to see some new previews or any kind of news! :)

Offline Oft99

• Known elsewhere as "EgoNaut"
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 19, 2012, 01:57:59 »
I don't know why I've only decided to post just now, but I want you to know that I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a long time and I am very excited to see the results of your work, Hmpf. At one point a while back, some of the preview screenshots you posted were what inspired me to carry on with my current level project again at a time when I had paused it.
A random bit of advice; make sure you are backing up the file for this level that you are putting so much work in to, preferably on an external piece of hardware like a memory stick. You wouldn't want to lose it accidentaly one day whilst sweeping your computer's hard drive or something!
Sorry if the advice is a little redundant, it's just the sort of thing I would worry about.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:12:37 by Oft99 »
My tilesets (fresh uploads as of September 2020):
https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=1407.0

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 23, 2012, 20:46:48 »
Hey guys. This is still alive, believe it or not. I've stopped counting the screens though. It's not *that* much larger than the last time I posted here - a few dozen new screens, maybe. I had a huge life crisis that took up all my mindspace for a (long) while, so I didn't do much knytting. I've been easing myself back into it over the past few months, though. It feels like the actual building for part two is approaching completion (unless I decide to add another area or two). What's left is mostly the writing and "programming" (shifts and stuff). Unfortunately I'm currently kind of lost regarding the writing, lol.

Oh f***, and I just remembered I still need to take care of the music, too. Arrgh.

I've begun to learn playing the guitar... Hmm... Maybe I can record a minimalist guitar "soundtrack" of my own. :D

Oh, and don't worry, I keep several backups on different drives. ;-)

ETA: @OFT99: It makes me happy to hear that I have inspired you! :-)

Hmmm... I just went back through the last two pages of the thread; seems like I was just under 430 screens before I stopped counting. I'd say I'm probably in the 450s now, or possibly already beyond that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 20:51:58 by Hmpf »

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 24, 2012, 13:28:37 »
Oh yay, this exists! I'd all but forgotten about this, but it's very nice to see you're still continuing this.
Oh, and I could lend a hand for some music; just PM me if you're interested.