[Environmental] Falling Water

• 401 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Falling Water
« Reply #390 on: August 02, 2023, 11:14:32 »
@everybody who weighed in re: the tileset. Wow, you guys are amazing, it was, indeed, the Mashu Prapa tileset that you guessed! I hadn't even mentioned it was green, I don't think? But maybe it's the only tileset that is that rude, haha.

Good to know it's free to use now, and yeah, that bulk release thing fits what I vaguely remember as to why it might be in my collection despite its rude admonition.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2023, 12:08:37 »
NP, no you didn't mention that, but I stared at those tilesets for a good couple of months for a level. That's the only tileset of his that says that, and I thought it was kinda funny.  :P
Good to know that it's him too as he asks for credit but rarely signs his tilesets...

Interestingly, Mashu Prapa tilesets don't seem to be on Comhon's archive yet, and the links are dead.

I have all those tilesets on my computer I think, many of them at least. Should I put them somewhere?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 12:12:09 by bulbapuck »
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 02, 2023, 17:04:20 »
I checked out the thread and it said that there is a bug that makes it sometimes insert code into the world file, so I shied back from it, for now.
No, it's the opposite.
As VG said in that post:
"Just to be completely clear, this is not something caused by this tool. :P2
If you get an incorrect (and absurdly high) number of screens when using the program on a level, it means the Map.bin file already had this issue from the start."

It can only check the Map.bin, it won't modify it.

Anyway, to use it, I usually copy-paste the Map.bin into the ksmapsize folder, and drag and drop it on the exe.
Because it doesn't need to be the original Map.bin, it could be a copy of course.

I have all those tilesets on my computer I think, many of them at least. Should I put them somewhere?
You should tell Comhon about it.
But they should be among Hmpf's 500+ tilesets, so you might not need to add them if she adds those.
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2023, 00:11:31 »
I checked out the thread and it said that there is a bug that makes it sometimes insert code into the world file, so I shied back from it, for now.
No, it's the opposite.
As VG said in that post:
"Just to be completely clear, this is not something caused by this tool. :P2
If you get an incorrect (and absurdly high) number of screens when using the program on a level, it means the Map.bin file already had this issue from the start."

It can only check the Map.bin, it won't modify it.

Anyway, to use it, I usually copy-paste the Map.bin into the ksmapsize folder, and drag and drop it on the exe.
Because it doesn't need to be the original Map.bin, it could be a copy of course.

Ahhh, thanks for clarifying. I read that thread somewhat cursorily, I'm afraid. The tool still won't be much use to me immediately, as I'd have to clean up my map considerably first (too many "sketch"/experimental areas - I have a bad habit of trying out stuff on random screens on the edges of the map, often in many many different variations, so if I auto-counted the map now the screencount would be inflated considerably).

Also, general question, not just about that tool: When counting screens, do "duplicate" screens (for warp/shift-powered dialogue or other stuff like that) count as separate screens? Or do only unique screens count?

You should tell Comhon about it.
But they should be among Hmpf's 500+ tilesets, so you might not need to add them if she adds those.

Yeah, they are. I'll upload that stuff soon, but probably only after my vacation because our internet connection here is extremely slow and keeps cutting out. So, in another week and a half, probably.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 07, 2023, 13:01:02 »
Did a manual count yesterday because I was too tired to do anything that required actual awareness, and the number of screens was 557 (hand-built, accessible, non-repeating). +1 now since I just made another.

Note that that number does include a few screens containing nothing but the upper part of some background feature like mountains, trees, roofs. And a few screens that have very little built stuff on them, just the corner or the top of some climbable feature. But mostly it's properly "walkable" screens.

A number that may be even more interesting than the screencount: FW pt. 2 currently has around 35 distinct areas. I say "around" because "distinct" is actually a tricky concept here - lots of internal variation, lots of transitional areas, etc. Kinda hard to draw boundaries around areas in this thing.

There's three or four major gaps to fill in the lower part of the world (4-5 areas, I'd say), plus the top layer of the world (5-8 areas, probably).

I'm currently mostly filling in small gaps and am looking forward to getting started on actual new areas soon(ish).

As you can see I've grown rather careful with screenshots, haha. I'm kinda glad most of the links to the screenshots in this thread are broken nowadays. Would ppl like more screenshots here again? I could oblige, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 13:08:22 by Hmpf »

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 07, 2023, 21:35:36 »
558 screens is so crazy to me, exciting :D

I love seeing screenshots, but I also see the value in holding off on posting.
Ultimately it's what you feel is best. If you're hesitating on posting I think it's perfectly reasonable to hold off on it. Happy to get just updates on this too :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2023, 00:28:04 »
Quick last-day-of-my-vacation screencount update: 566 total. Not a very productive week because it was filled with visiting family I rarely see.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 19, 2023, 01:35:34 »
No new screens today; spent several hours today producing a hand-drawn map of the "problem areas" of the level. Not sure it will help. I feel like there should be some sense of... direction/progression, to the level, even if it's a free-roaming environmental level; but the world I built is far too interconnected and open for that. And I'm discovering that I don't know how to change this after the fact. Maybe I'll just have to accept it. But I'll keep staring at this map for a few more days. Maybe I'll find a way yet. Maybe not.

Total screencount is currently 579 because in this exercise I found a few screens I'd forgotten to count. (But I also built a few new ones, since my last update here - about ten, I think. So that's ten new screens and three "overlooked" ones.)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 01:46:12 by Hmpf »

Offline bulbapuck

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 19, 2023, 20:55:37 »
I've thought about that problem a lot with my level too, of course yours is on a completely different level, but still.

I plan to try and solve it using the detector (and some cutscenes I think). I have a story-related reason why that would work, but either way I think the key is to guide the player by catching their attention.
Maybe tease an area that they can't get to yet, and once they get the required upgrade hope that they remembered it. Things like that.

Though with this level in particular I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm personally looking forward to exploring everything and don't think I'll mind terribly if I lack direction for a moment :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 02, 2023, 14:15:03 »
I've thought about that problem a lot with my level too, of course yours is on a completely different level, but still.

I plan to try and solve it using the detector (and some cutscenes I think). I have a story-related reason why that would work, but either way I think the key is to guide the player by catching their attention.
Maybe tease an area that they can't get to yet, and once they get the required upgrade hope that they remembered it. Things like that.

Yeah, I just don't see any way how I can retrofit my level to anything like that at this stage.

Though with this level in particular I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm personally looking forward to exploring everything and don't think I'll mind terribly if I lack direction for a moment :)

I guess I kinda have to bank on that, haha.

(Sorry about the late reply, I took a week off from knytting to focus on writing instead, because I'm also in the middle of writing the longest, most ridiculous story I've ever written, and that writing week was then followed by an extraordinarily busy "real life" week.)

Latest screen count is 581 and it's not likely to grow very quickly from here on out, for the next few weeks at least, because I'm in a more conceptual phase now - I have to think about what to do with the remaining larger unbuilt spaces on the map. And also think a bit more on ways to maybe redesign what's already built, at least in minor ways, to fix at least some of the gameplay issues.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 29, 2023, 19:35:11 »
Have started working on this again, after (mostly) finishing Between the Seas.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 17, 2023, 17:02:44 »
Still working on this one, too, although I do have to admit I got pretty sidetracked by making two entire, new, small levels in the past few months, and starting to conceptualise my next big project, too.

Five new screens since last count; unfortunately still having major issues with the actual level design. I don't think this will ever be anything but an (interesting? hopefully?) mess.