• 119 Replies

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Night Game announcement!
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2009, 22:52:38 »
EarthBound was published by Nintendo. Nintendo is big enough that they can ignore petitions and such without any ill effects. Nicalis is young and small enough that they can't afford to ignore fan sentiment if they want to stay respected by the community.

I think people are angry at Nicalis for not doing their job- that is, working to satisfy the indie gaming community that will probably make up a good portion of their potential consumer base.

I don't think that anyone who understands the situation could be reasonably mad at Nifflas. (Disappointed, maybe, but actual anger would be going too far.)
good bye

Offline bokabeed

• I don't even use Firefox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2009, 23:02:30 »
Nifflas has every right to be successful, and if you can't support him, then you are just another louzy critic. Yeah I said it. You are all being total asses aboiut this. Be a fan or a critic, but if you are a critic, don't come to his own forum to complain. Thats just low.

It amazes me how when his games are free you worship him. But he tries to make a living and suddenly he is a sell out crook.
I have been banned because I threatened LPChip the wrong way.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2009, 23:06:23 »
Nifflas has every right to be successful, and if you can't support him, then you are just another louzy critic. Yeah I said it. You are all being total asses aboiut this. Be a fan or a critic, but if you are a critic, don't come to his own forum to complain. Thats just low.

It amazes me how when his games are free you worship him. But he tries to make a living and suddenly he is a sell out crook.

Who says they don't want Nifflas to be successful? Everyone on this forum does, or they wouldn't be here. No one has said Nifflas doesn't deserve to make money from his games. No one is calling Nifflas a crook. What's happening is attention is being drawn to potentially exploitative business circumstances, and I think it's supportive of Nifflas to want him to, y'know, not be exploited. (Regardless of whether that's even the case here.)
good bye

Offline bokabeed

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2009, 23:10:13 »
What if its not? You need to get over it anyway. Nifflas said he agrees with the decision. How can he be exploited if he agrees?

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2009, 23:13:24 »
I am not mad at Nifflas. I never EVER said anything against Nifflas. He is awesome and I even find it touching that he is trying to make it up for us with a PC game, as if it were his obligation.

I just don't like Nicalis. They made that decision, I know, business is business, but that does give me the right to be angry at them.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2009, 23:14:11 »
We're blasting Nicalis here, not Nifflas.  (Though, in doing so, we're probably unintentionally hurting Nifflas.)

And this isn't about it being free or not.  This is about it being WiiWare exclusive.  And Nifflas himself said he wanted it to be released on PC as well.

Did you read the first post?

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2009, 23:14:44 »
What if its not? You need to get over it anyway. Nifflas said he agrees with the decision. How can he be exploited if he agrees?

You have to agree to be exploited artistically/financially.
good bye

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2009, 23:16:13 »
On another note.  How about we stop all this for real?  People are blaming Nifflas for something that isn't his fault, people are also hating Nicalis for doing their job.  As Niff said, he left it up to them, and this is their choice, nothing more.  Niff feels bad enough with out having to read/hear about all this bull crap.  Take it for what it is m'friends, business, be it bad business on their part, it is still business.
I agree that this discussion is coming to a close, but on this specific point let's be clear.  The point is not that they made a decision that is good for business but bad on some other level.  The point that some of us are making (googoogjoob for example) is that even as a business decision they made a poor decision.  That's why some of us are frustrated not just on behalf of the fans who don't have a Wii, but also on Nifflas's behalf, because we believe that in the long run this decision is also bad for the success of Night Game.  So we're not saying they shouldn't have thought about what is good for business--we're saying they should have thought more carefully about what is good for business.  Just because Nicalis is a business doesn't mean they automatically make wise business decisions.  Bad business decisions are made by business-people all the time.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2009, 23:17:29 »

That's either brilliant, obvious, or stupid, depending on how exactly you mean it.  Hoping for the first one.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2009, 23:18:11 »

That's either brilliant, obvious, or stupid, depending on how exactly you mean it.  Hoping for the first one.

All of them, actually.
good bye

Offline bokabeed

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2009, 23:18:46 »
At this point, I just want this stupid argument to stop. You all apparently don't see that you could be making things very tense between Nifflas and Nicalis with all this.

Nifflas said he is sorry, but he also said it already a decision. Any whinning done now is probably futile.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2009, 23:20:21 »
At this point, I just want this stupid argument to stop. You all apparently don't see that you could be making things very tense between Nifflas and Nicalis with all this.

Nifflas said he is sorry, but he also said it already a decision. Any whinning done now is probably futile.

Nicalis might not even know this argument is happening. And if Nicalis can't tell Nifflas's sentiments from those of his fans, they have a severe problem.
good bye

Offline bokabeed

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2009, 23:23:49 »
What makes you think they will be simpathetic? What if they just take offence? then what? You screwed him over if that is the case.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2009, 23:25:09 »
What makes you think they will be simpathetic? What if they just take offence? then what? You screwed him over if that is the case.

Like I said, if Nicalis says "Oh, hey, Nifflas, we noticed your fanbase doesn't like us, so now we're going to screw you over.", then Nicalis has some severe problems.
good bye

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2009, 23:26:03 »
And it's doubtful Nifflas would want to be with a company like that anyway.