• View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
Re: [Hard/Challenge/Epic Length] I Dreamed of the Sky
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 19:17:26 »
Alternate mirror as well if you want.

Also played through your level:
Part 1
Part 2 (No Audio)

Just a quick comment. I really loved your concept of having multiple levels and each having their own unique design. All round an amazing level with some amazing puzzles.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 00:27:39 »
Thanks, guys! Glad you enjoyed it, Will! I'll be watching your videos soon.

EDIT: Is there gonna be a version of part 2 with sound?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:08:42 by Talps »

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 01:20:42 »
xSplit kinda died on me soundwise for that one vid (no idea why). I'll be re-recording the 2nd part as soon as I get there again (don't want to cheat my way there hehe). Should be up soon, but got school atm. So we'll see.

In other news, thanks for watching.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2013, 04:33:08 »
Having replayed this for the competition, I have to stand my ground and say that this is my second favorite level of all time, with Eurydice being the first. This is a truly epic story with hints at a much larger world that begs revisiting and further expansion. The levels are detailed and rich with intricacies, and polished to perfection. It's got clever, unique puzzles perfect for my personal skill level; they're difficult, but never frustrating. If anyone is on the fence as to whether they should play it, for Knytt's sake, play it, it is well worth it.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 13:15:54 »
I've replayed this because of competition and I can't believe that I have not written it before, so: It is one of the best levels I've ever played. When Juni found the message from surface, I was actually scared what is going to happen, so the story really taken me in.
There is something about sequel at the end. Are you really going to make one? I wonder, if there are other Knytts on the surface.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 15:15:06 by Polana »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 15:11:16 »
<3 <3 <3

Thanks guys! It's great hearing you like it!

The sequel to this level will be called 'A Recorded Message' and it is one of the KS projects that I'm hoping to work on when time allows. Currently waiting to hear from someone about a tileset.

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 23:43:29 »
Just played through this and it is absolutely fantastic. The kind of level I love. Lacking nothing. Having everything. Thank you.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2013, 22:44:50 »
This is definitely one of the best ks levels (or games for that matter) I've played in awhile.  Very epic story, very well done.  Congratulations on rocking.  ;)

Offline dow

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2013, 15:15:51 »
I've just finished playing all of your stories one by one  :) Enjoyed all of them, thanks. The best one, imho, was I Dreamed of the Sky. I'm waiting for more, do you work currently on new one?  :)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 00:41:34 »
I'm currently work on 2 projects. I have two others that are partially done to a greater or lesser degree but that I'm not working on at the moment - both because of tileset issues :(.

Thanks for the reply, though. Great to hear the positive comments from you all!

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 12:34:39 »
To rectify my earlier criminal activity on the contest thread you just won, I'll say it here as well: I really enjoyed I Dreamed of the Sky. A good story is one of the things that I look out for in game playing and this reminded me of reading Hugh Howey's WOOL series, so I got what I wanted. Nice challenges, just a really tidy effort all round.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 14:00:10 »
This was absolutely amazing. It's probably my favorite hard level ever.

Not only does the level have a very intresting graphical style, but the design of the challenges is amazing.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2013, 00:34:15 »
Thanks! :D Glad you like the scenery; I'm not always happy with the graphics I produce but there were some areas of this that I was really happy with. Level 4 (the pipes area) was originally going to have a background made with the grey version of the tileset used in Levels 6 and 2, but I was using the gradient I settled on while building tilesets and decided that it suited much better; I like how the lightness of the area contrasts with the darkness of the previous areas, which suits the mood of the area well; I wanted that level to feel safer, to give a chance to get your breath back after the intensity of the previous few sequences.

I really loved the tangled vegetation I used in Level 3, especially where it grows over robots, doors and consoles. The screen with the overgrown ball-spewer (I think it's the second screen of the area) is, in my opinion, one of the best screens I've ever produced.
I think Level 2 looked great too; the very detailed background, with the greyish vegetation, was a good contrast with the featureless foreground, which gave more of a feel of desolation and abandonment than I personally could have achieved with detail.
Those two are my personal favourite levels in terms of graphics alone. My very favourite area was the place between Levels 6 and 5, with the atmosphere and very... delicate story-telling.

As for the chaser area, I originally paced it very tensely. Then, just before I sent it to be tested, I challenged myself to play through it and pause for about 1 second as I entered each screen. I had to move a lot of enemies to do it. :P Lesson learnt!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 00:35:17 by Talps »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2013, 00:26:49 »
Good to read your thoughts on different areas Talps.  Yeah, Level 3 is my fav.