[Hard/Challenge/Epic Length] I Dreamed of the Sky

• 73 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: [Hard/Challenge/Epic Length] I Dreamed of the Sky
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 18:37:18 »
Wow!  Played it beginning to end.  Just terrific!  And, I got a special thanks in the credits. :O I wonder what I did?  The story was great, and the way you revealed surprises in the reverse narrative was inspired. *gives star*
Well, I didn't use the flag advice you gave me for level seven (three doors, three switches, two realities) because I'm incompetent with flags, but I appreciated it just the same.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sorry the pipes were a bit awkward. Juni moves out a little when she jumps though, so just jumping straight up will get you over them.
As for the lasers, I designed that little puzzle ages ago, with the intention that a player would go up the closest passage, which is safe, and find out which way to go, but it didn't work very well and I wouldn't use it again.
I must also thank you, B-Man, for the lesson in giving players time to react. Monocromatica Grotta is one of my favourite levels, and I confess that level 5 is a little bit of a homage.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone; it's really great to hear.

I'll try out your suggestion, Sergio.
EDIT: That looks great, though I might change the images some time. I can dispense with the single-word descriptions since I have pictures - I just didn't like giving only the name. Thanks! (Also, impressive research!)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 18:50:49 by Talps »

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 00:30:39 »
Ah... This is finally out.
I shall play this level and see how amazing it is...

Oh my... This level was great. Although the gameplay wasn't that difficult, The Storyline was so amazing...
You did a Fantastic Job here, Talps!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:30:56 by PeppyHare4000 »

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 01:15:33 »
Two words: SUPER AMAZING! No, that's not enough. I need more: SUPER MEGA FANTASTIC AMAZING!!!

You really did a nice job here. I actually just signed up to comment on this post and to leave a big "Thank You" here for you.
I played a lot knytt levels and ok, it could have been a bit more difficult, but I think, that it was a really nice mix between some challenges and exploration/puzzle. And the story... just fantastic. It's one of the best stories of all the levels I played.

Thanks again and I really hope there will be a sequel  :D

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 13:32:38 »
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeach! 8) I'm downloading now!
PS: Ha, that's my face now:  :crazy:.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 13:39:52 »
Ha, that's my face now:  :crazy:.
This isn't a normal reaction in human beings, you should see a doctor asap.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 08:48:18 »
This was a very good level. Some parts were really hard for me (harder than the supposed hard part you took out) but I managed through it barely. The custom objects and tilesets were great. And if this was too much text for people I shudder to think what they'll think of me. Some of the ways you used shifts and custom objects I really enjoyed and wish I could lay claim to thinking of myself. Good job.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 14:15:17 »
Thanks for the feedback all! Glad the story was so well received, and that for the most part so were the challenges!
Plural, I look forward to reading it all!
Some of the ways you used shifts and custom objects I really enjoyed and wish I could lay claim to thinking of myself. Good job.

Oh? Care to be specific?

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 15:51:57 »
And if this was too much text for people I shudder to think what they'll think of me.
Speaking for myself, I only dislike too much text when you force the player to go through it all, or when it feels like it just isn't necessary. IDotS (ooh, such a nice acronym you got yourself, Talps!) balances it well and what is told through all the text is always interesting. The text that is forced on us is essential for the progression of the plot, and everything else is optional.
But when the first thing a level shows me is a huge boring introduction, I tend to just skip the whole thing after the first few screens, because the level maker didn't try to make me interested first.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 19:16:19 »
Was their too much text in my introduction? I think splitting it into several scenes with one or two sentences is a lot better than one long screen of text.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 07:55:54 »
Some of the ways you used shifts and custom objects I really enjoyed and wish I could lay claim to thinking of myself. Good job.

Oh? Care to be specific?
When you did the shifts into the pipes that seamlessly changed from an outside view to an inside view, I was like "Damn, I wish I had done that."

Offline BeamishBoy

• And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    • View Profile
    • Ball With Hat
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 16:34:54 »
Was their too much text in my introduction? I think splitting it into several scenes with one or two sentences is a lot better than one long screen of text.

I think the amount of text wasn't bad at all - although some of it overlapped with what you learned from the communications, about the opinions of the leaders and all. Creative text placement helped to break it up a little.

By the way, AMAZING LEVEL. I played a little while ago, but haven't posted yet. I thought the variety of challenges was the best part, how each level had a distinct feel to it. I second plural's comment about the shifts, and cite the opening and closing doors. My biggest complaint really isn't a complaint, but an admission of laziness on my part - I found it hard to keep track of the different characters in the past who were writing the logs. A symbol to go with each, or even a different colored font for each person, would have done a lot to help out players there.

Belated congratulations on achieving such a great accomplishment! So what's NEXT...? :P
BeamishBoy

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 16:53:56 »
*Chortles in joy*

What's next is probably an epic-length level I started work on before this, and then gave up on. now this is done, I'd like to get it done and out there, though it's going to take some doing to bring what's made up to standard, not to mention overcoming all the issues that halted it in the first place. I believe there's a very old preview thread for it several pages back.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 23:31:43 »
*Chortles in joy*

What's next is probably an epic-length level I started work on before this, and then gave up on. now this is done, I'd like to get it done and out there, though it's going to take some doing to bring what's made up to standard, not to mention overcoming all the issues that halted it in the first place. I believe there's a very old preview thread for it several pages back.

I wish you luck. Its always good to resurrect an abandoned project that had potential!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:52:54 by PeppyHare4000 »

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 15:50:45 »
I've lost interest in KS due to the fact, that no more great levels were released. I've came back after a while, and I must say that this one brings me new hope. Great job! I really enjoyed playing this level. Too bad it wasn't a little harder, but I guess it's kind of hard to make a difficulty which satisfies all of the people.

It truly deserves a high note, so I'd give 7/10. Really, really nice level :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 17:23:30 »
I've lost interest in KS due to the fact, that no more great levels were released. I've came back after a while, and I must say that this one brings me new hope. Great job! I really enjoyed playing this level. Too bad it wasn't a little harder, but I guess it's kind of hard to make a difficulty which satisfies all of the people.

It truly deserves a high note, so I'd give 7/10. Really, really nice level :)

Initially it was harder, but that would exceed the "hard" difficulty that talps was after. I'm a hard skilled player and I liked the difficulty as it is. I had a bit of trouble with the first version where it touched extra hard in some areas and one in particular I gave up on. Talps has fixed it so I have been able to beat the entire game now. He made a few areas easier just because he saw me fail at them. I bet he just got bored of watching me fail and was like... I better make it easier, hoping that magically this video changes and I can see the rest. :P
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex