fullscreen?

• 42 Replies
Re: fullscreen?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 06:52:42 »
Nifflas, I sympathize with how hard you're working, and I feel the need to say one more time (and then I'll shut up), that I'm not complaining or saying you should have done anything differently, as the other poster before me was.  I was only commenting, for the sake of discussion, on the nature and purpose of demos and beta tests as they are perceived by gamers.  I'm sorry if discussions like this are annoying when you're just released a game and are working very hard.  I hope I've made it clear that the points I was trying to make above are not directed at the way NightSky has been handled.  (And with that I will stop talking again!  :oops:)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 07:07:13 »
Okey, I think I got the point. People look at demos as something that shows what the game is like, not if it work or not. I don't know what else to do than the recommendation though. I guess I have to add it to the website.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see the results of the tests of the three executables I posted on the last page. The more results I get, the better I can pick which version to use.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:13:53 by Nifflas »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:58 »
Okey, I think I got the point. People look at demos as something that shows what the game is like, not if it work or not. I don't know what else to do than the recommendation though. I guess I have to add it to the website.
Nifflas, its really expected that people check the demo to see if it runs well on their system. If they just say: well its an indie game so it must run well on my system, then its their fault if they buy it and it appears not to be. Every major company says this. If you wouldn't work this way, you will give way too much energy to something this small. All your games suffer from this problem. So I suppose you need to add this info to Saira and FiNCK too...

I really wouldn't add this info if I were you though... Thats the sole purpose of releasing a demo. You could add the text: Please try the demo to see if it runs well on your system before buying it. But thats just stating the obvious.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 13:29:47 »
hm, for my laptop with integrated graphics chip none of the versions give me an actual fullscreen game, just the same game window with the blackened rest of the screen.
not that it bothers me, I like playing windowed games most. :P

also I really dislike when there are no demos available for games, for example on steam, because with my shitty graphics setup I háve to check if it turns out even playable. and if it doesn't I'm :sad: and want a new laptop. X) anyways, that's my point of view on demos, I check if the game would be playable, and of course also try to see if the game style etc seems likeable enough to me. but yeah, that discussion is quite concluded now, I think. :)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:27 »
I really wouldn't add this info if I were you though... Thats the sole purpose of releasing a demo. You could add the text: Please try the demo to see if it runs well on your system before buying it. But thats just stating the obvious.

haha, it may be stating the obvious, but when i read this text on the game's page i thought "hmm, yeah, maybe i should!" i guess i saw it as kind of an honest warning. so yeah.. in future, people have no excuse to assume that it will just run fine and dandy on their machine.

i prefer maximised, anyway.

Offline Jakal

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 16:28:59 »
I'd like to add my voice to those above who are troubled by the lack of functional fullscreen support (in regard to the Steam release... I'm not sure if this has yet been fixed in non-Steam releases).  I represent one of the larger gaming communities and would love to promote this title there (the gameplay, puzzles, aesthetic, and soundtrack are all excellent), but can't do that with the fullscreen compatability in its current state.  This is the only serious flaw with the game, so I figure it'd be a priority to fix.  I can assure you that in terms of new sales, fixing this is worth your time.

I look forward to seeing the Steam-version of NightSky fixed as soon as possible so that we can bring this awesome game more exposure!

PS - While you're at it, it'd be great if the game stopped accepting keyboard input when the Steam overlay was pulled up... I have to use underscores rather than spaces if I want to type a Steam IM without restarting the level.   :P2

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 00:29:11 »
I don't know if this has been resolved, but I had this problem, at first I thought the game was designed to be small, and I'd beaten easy mode with the small screen... Then I tried http://www.ni2.se/temp/NightSky%20Tolerance25.exe and it gave me proper fullscreen... Which does look a lot nicer now that I see it :)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2011, 17:15:58 »
I actually never liked the quirky "keep aspect ratio" modifications, because it's still done wrong in Multimedia Fusion 2 itself. Now, finally (about time) a guy created an addon which enables a game to go full screen without changing the display resolution.

I'm right now uploading a version 1.1 of the game to the download area, but you can also try this new game executable if you're e.g. on the Steam version.

I don't dare to update the Steam version to 1.1 yet, because this build completely changes how the game goes full screen (and I can not unfortunately support both the new and old behaviour at the same time, again by limitations in MMF2 itself). If I get a build up on Steam, it's going to automatically update for most people and I don't think there's a way to reverse the update, so I need to know this doesn't come with any problems I'm unaware of.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 17:17:36 by Nifflas »

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 18:55:17 »
Just want to report that this new .exe works like a charm.
At last! This looks preeeeety! O_O

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 06:02:09 »
I know this is an old thread, but I have something that may help combine the two versions of Night Sky into one. In my Knytt Stories mod I found a way to include MMF2's native fullscreen and native scaling into a single program. You may be able to do something similar with the native fullscreen and Ultimate Walrus' fullscreen.

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 05:15:44 »
It's been quite a long time since this thread has seen any activity.  I'm wondering, was the Steam version ever updated to the build that has working full screen?

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 04:16:50 »
Steam version still doesn't scale to fullscreen. Humble Bundle NightSkyHD version does though. Now I can finally play the game (so many indie games wont play nice on 16:9).

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2012, 21:39:20 »
 >(

Hello, I bought the game on Steam and would love to play it full screen but the link posted to the fixed executable is now broken.  Can you please patch on Steam or provide a working link for a fixed executable?  Thank you!