egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #315 on: September 12, 2012, 07:28:02 »
"1-way" will work. Then I can label the other one "2-way" and there will be no confusing them and their usage. Well, the level designers won't be confused. I still fear for the players' sanity.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2012, 14:14:20 »
I can't possibly imagine anyone ever pressing down+jump when stuck, so we'll have to rely on text boxes to explain that...

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 13, 2012, 00:31:39 »
It'll come down to the skill of the designer, at days end, to see how well they're used. Personally I don't think I'd ever mix the two in a single level, unless I was going to give a sort of extra upgrade to make the difference, like how 'Teenhmifnoeafgil' (if I spelled that right I should have a prize) gives an upgrade before you can start jumping.

I was thinking Ego, the overlay is extraordinarily useful, opening myriad possibilities in the mod level I'm working on despite me only being 4 screens into the second environment, but at times it'd be nice to be able to overlay the background but not Juni. Like where I want to partially mask a waterfall with a bit of background wall, but I don't want Juni to disappear behind that scrap of wall if the player jumps that way. Is it possible to get a second type of overlay that doesn't cover Juni?
Sorry; I know you're getting a ton of small requests and then second types of those requests... But it's a thought and it'd be handy. At the moment I'm having to shape my backgrounds to work around it. I could always make a CO but the overlay is made to make that less necessary.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #318 on: September 13, 2012, 06:40:30 »
Your Overlay request just isn't possible, Talps. You know how layer 7 stops interacting with the collision mask and Juni during overlay? The same thing would happen to Juni if we put overlay tiles behind her.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 13, 2012, 11:25:16 »
Wow! Fair enough then :p

EDIT: I now have a placeholder waiting for the new spawn object. Spawning in enemies part-way through a screen is great; the first challenge in the screen is quite hard enough without something popping out of the water and shooting at you, so using triggers to spawn the shooty water enemies after you've navigated the first challenge is a nice touch. Plus it's not something you could do in normal KS so it takes the player by surprise, and gives a nice sense of motion to events.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 00:29:44 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #320 on: September 14, 2012, 12:46:44 »
KS+ 0.6.8 and a matching Features Demonstration level are available in the opening post. This version includes 1 and 2 way jump-through Ledges, 3 more invisible blocks, and the new Spawn object.

The Ledges allow players to travel up past them but not down through them. The 2-way version can be jumped-down-through by pressing S while holding Down. Ledges are invisible and can be found with the invisible blocks in Bank 16.

Spawners work with Triggers. Set up your Trigger normally, but instead of declaring a spawn point place a Spawner where you want your object to appear. The chief benefit of this is you can now spawn multiple objects with a single Trigger by placing multiple Spawners.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 14, 2012, 13:44:46 »
Found a bug.

With overlay active, placing glowing water on layer 7 causes a graphical glitch in the tile where the water is placed. In the screenshot below, the glowing water tiles all make the background of their tile brighter when placed. Also, note that the blue water tile also appears discoloured.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #322 on: September 14, 2012, 19:45:49 »
The discoloring of the water will be easy enough to fix. The water light is moving in front of the water when they're both moved to the top. I can't reproduce the other error where the tile the water is on becomes brighter. I've tried to recreate everything on your screen shot, I used version 0.6.7, but it's not happening. Maybe you could copy the room and paste it in a personal message, the NotKnyttEdit followed mostly by zeros. The tiles and gradients shouldn't be necessary.

*gives star for bug report*
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 19:47:26 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2012, 21:17:51 »
Maybe the white glow was discolouring the blue water. The others were white glow over white and red glow over red lava. So I guess fixing the main thing will fix it. I'll have a look in the next version.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #324 on: September 16, 2012, 13:15:56 »
I'm experimenting with pick-up sounds for collectibles. I'd like each kind; coins, creatures, and artifacts; to have a unique sound similar to the power-up pick-up sound. Here's my first draft for coins. Opinions welcome.

Coinup.ogg

I attempted to replace the high-end of the standard sound with the sharp ping of the coin.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 16, 2012, 13:39:12 »
I feel like that's a bit too similar to the power-up pick-up sound, if there were multiple coins near each other it could become rather annoying. Or maybe it's just me, I was never really fond of that sound.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #326 on: September 21, 2012, 20:51:50 »
I haven't done much Knytting this week, but it appears to be a slow week for Knytting in general unless the Knytt Underground Beta forums, which I can't see, are buzzing. Therefore, I thought I'd share my progress with the coin pick-up sound.

Coinup2.ogg

In this version I tried to mimic the loudness curve of the normal pick-up sound, but I only used the coin sample to create it. This can mostly be heard in the brief rising ring before the climactic ping. I'm leaning towards the first method at this time. This one doesn't sound like an original sound effect.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #327 on: October 04, 2012, 00:17:38 »
KS+ 0.6.9 is available in the opening post. The most notable improvement is artifacts can be replaced with OCOs. This means each artifact can have a different appearance. I've updated Ship Parts to take advantage of this feature. It can now be found in the OP as well. Other improvements include a fix for launching the program from an install file and a new error message for improper installation of KS+.

On the subject of custom sounds for coins, Artifacts, and Golden Creatures; currently I'm leaning away the idea entirely. My attempts don't sound enough like something Nifflas would make, so I think it will be better to leave them as they are.

Edit: I also tried to fix the layer-7-water-lights-with-overlay issue. I never could reproduce all the bugs Talps was getting.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 00:50:36 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2012, 12:16:08 »
I was working on a level yesterday (for the first time in a while) and had a couple of thoughts. Sadly, I had no internet at the time and now can only remember one of them.

I was wondering if you would be able to make some spikes in the traps file. Saves making your own, or finding a way of forewarning the player of pop-out spikes.

EDIT: Oh, I was also wondering if it could be made possible to specify what layer triggers make a thing appear on, and if it could be made possible to use triggers to make something disappear - for example, I've used one to make a warp block appear; can it be made possible to make that block then disappear if the player turns around and heads for a different exit?
By current default, what level do triggered objects appear on?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 19:17:21 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #329 on: October 19, 2012, 07:41:49 »
Oh, I was also wondering if it could be made possible to specify what layer triggers make a thing appear on, and if it could be made possible to use triggers to make something disappear - for example, I've used one to make a warp block appear; can it be made possible to make that block then disappear if the player turns around and heads for a different exit?
By current default, what level do triggered objects appear on?

Spawned objects are placed at the same depth as the Trigger that made them. If you place a Trigger on layer 5, the object it spawns will be on layer 5. When using Spawn objects, things are still created at the same depth as the Trigger.

I'll consider the spike thing. I really hate how you can die when running off a ledge with user made spikes on the cliff face.