[Horror/Action] Au Sable

• 9 Replies

Offline Jigganis

• View Profile
[Horror/Action] Au Sable
« on: May 27, 2010, 18:22:42 »
Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)

I believe I saw somewhere that someone called this scarier than Silent Hill 2. I don't know if that's true, but it's certainly a disturbing game in a way new and apart from Silent Hill or Resident Evil, for that matter. It will probably freak you out pretty good if you play it very late at night. It is, all in all, a very very interesting look at what you can do with a run & gun game.

Latest version, as far as I could tell: http://www.dessgeega.com/AuSable_1.2.zip
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 18:25:39 by Jigganis »

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
Re: [Horror/Action] Au Sable
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 18:26:14 »
HOT DAMN is this game scary.

I played it a couple of days ago, at night. Man, I was freaked out.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 20:59:59 »
okay, played a bit now.

I am a person who don't get scared easliy and this
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
It's very nice graphics and atmosphere, the music is good.

But the controls are bad. The shooting is just horrible, can't aim and no way to change it. Also, when I pressed esc, tgo see if there was any way to do so the game quit and didn't save, there doesn't even seem to be a way to save the game.

Offline Jigganis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 21:45:37 »
okay, played a bit now.

I am a person who don't get scared easliy and this
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
It's very nice graphics and atmosphere, the music is good.

But the controls are bad. The shooting is just horrible, can't aim and no way to change it. Also, when I pressed esc, tgo see if there was any way to do so the game quit and didn't save, there doesn't even seem to be a way to save the game.

Didn't you see the readme? It has directions on saving and on the crosshair thing:
"Having a hard time aiming your gun?  The lack of a cross hair was meant to convey the character's unfamiliarity with weapons.  But if you really really miss it, just press the backspace key."
"*F5 Will quick-save your status
*F8 Will Load your last save state"

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 22:02:12 »
No I didn't. geez! What a lazy bummer, not including that in game. Also, no I don't need a crosshair, the movement of the gun with the mouse is the sucky bit.

Offline Jigganis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 22:20:36 »
Really? I was able to beat the thing with a dang laptop mouse...

Offline Sparks

• :v
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 15:45:53 »
This was... interesting.
I can't seem to progress after the bell part though. A ghost thing teleports me somewhere with a message saying 'Let father set the world clean' or something, and after that it's just a black screen. Is that the end of the game?

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 13:30:25 »
Sorry for posting in a topic that haven't been active for a few months.

I just wanted to add a useful tip for people who are dissapointed with the way you aim:

This concept is very similiar to the old-time favourite game Abuse - however, as far as i can remember, the amount you aim around compared to with how much you move the mouse is fixed in Abuse while it isn't in Au Sable, where the distance between the cursor and the character. This can be seen as an advantage or an disadvantage.

How to deal with it:
-if you feel that your aim adjustments are to slow, move the cursor closer to the character (if you don't know where on screen the cursor is, you can check by hitting backspace as the manual informs of).
-if the problem is opposite, just move the cursor away from the character to get a less sensitive aiming.

For me, i think it is a bit frustrating, but serves the purpose to give the game a bit of difficulty balance. I think better/more scarier AI had done the trick double as good, though, both moodwise and difficultywise. But by knowing the thing mentioned above it makes the game much more enjoyable. A great mood and visual style and nice experience overall to play this game!

This was... interesting.
I can't seem to progress after the bell part though. A ghost thing teleports me somewhere with a message saying 'Let father set the world clean' or something, and after that it's just a black screen. Is that the end of the game?

No, just wait a few seconds more and you'll be on your way to new nightmares. :)

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 13:33:17 »
DESSGEEGA did it? Love her shit! Downloading right away.

Are there more games to be played from the same author? :O