About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself

• 131 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: About Using Stuff You Didn't Make Yourself
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 08:23:11 »
The RIAA has gone after 12-year-olds, dead people, and people without computers. Being a jerk is not a problem for them.
Wow, the RIAA fails at life. <_< *sued*

Seriously, though, I think we should change the rules to, "A tileset is free to use unless it explicitly says in the credit bar, 'Do not use.'" Because, how many times has someone taken a tilese they didn't know they weren't allowed to use?
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 08:41:04 »
Seriously, though, I think we should change the rules to, "A tileset is free to use unless it explicitly says in the credit bar, 'Do not use.'" Because, how many times has someone taken a tilese they didn't know they weren't allowed to use?
Many times. And it is aggrivating. Unfortunately though, some people poeple wont see that. So, they don't put "do not use," and get angry when someone assumes it's ok to use it. Besides, sometimes you don't have enough room left in the info bar to put "do not use." :P2
Lurk more.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 08:52:54 »
I can think of several times wherein a user has posted a level using Nifflas's A Strange Dream tilesets (and sometimes music, but that's not labelled as clearly), apparently totally missing the very clear warning at the bottom of the tilesets. Nothing is foolproof.
good bye

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 22:17:13 »
I can think of several times wherein a user has posted a level using Nifflas's A Strange Dream tilesets (and sometimes music, but that's not labelled as clearly), apparently totally missing the very clear warning at the bottom of the tilesets. Nothing is foolproof.
I guess...:/
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Didriking

• The King of Umbrellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 10:55:01 »
So, here's another question... What about Nifflas music that wasn't used in games? I mean, the music from his albums, like "En skog, m?rklig och djup" and "Cityscapes"? Are those strictly for the albums, or would Nifflas be okey with us using them in KS levels?
-place holder-

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 19:12:07 »
So, here's another question... What about Nifflas music that wasn't used in games? I mean, the music from his albums, like "En skog, m?rklig och djup" and "Cityscapes"? Are those strictly for the albums, or would Nifflas be okey with us using them in KS levels?

That depends on what Nifflas thinks about it.

I think its better to ask this when you get in a certain situation to ask what speciffic song you want for what speciffic purpose.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 23:28:12 »
I think a good idea would be to make a link to a place where we can post anything we find that is free to use and is not subject to copyright, including tilesets, music, sound effects, custom objects, etc. Plus, when anybody makes any of these things, and want to share them, they can post them on this website for others to use. Everything entered into the website might need to go through the Moderators, first, though, so that they can double check the copyright (as long as they feel like doing this, of course. I wouldn't want to give them extra work to do, maybe we could just have a second forum member check it and have a posted by, double checked by spot on this site, and if anyone posts copyrighted material they won't be allowed to post any material on it again).
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 01:21:55 »
No material at all for one mistake seems a bit harsh. Suppose they didn't read the rules and therefore don't know about copyright.
Lurk more.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:20 »
We could make it a warning, I guess, but we also want to make sure that those who use it thinking it is safe to use don't get in trouble with the law if its not. Plus, notice how you will have at least one person double checking it. So, supposedly, at least one of you will know the rules.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline AhhCobras

• We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 01:34:10 »
Please excuse me if this is not the proper place for this post, but it seemed as good as any. I have seen a lot of discussion over the topic of copyrighted material and such, and it is kind of scaring me away from posting my own level. So my question is two-fold;

1. Regarding tilesets, I read something about not using default game data (tilesets, music, etc.) in your own mod. I assume I am reading that wrong so I will just ask directly. Is it fair to take a default set by Nifflas, and use it alone, or retextured/recolored as long as he is given credit for the original?

2. My level is based on Alice in Wonderland, an IP which is used in many stories and games one way or another. The way I'm making I want it as faithful as possible to the book, as such her name is actually Alice, I'm using quotes from the book, etc. So since this was written over a hundred years ago, does it fall in with fair use, or can I at least use the idea if I put in a credit about it being based on AIW?  (Please say "yes"  :S)

Again please forgive me for total noobishness, but I thought this would be the best place to ask. Thank you for any help.

Simply start at the beginning, go on till you reach the end.... then stop.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 01:42:07 »
1. Regarding tilesets, I read something about not using default game data (tilesets, music, etc.) in your own mod. I assume I am reading that wrong so I will just ask directly. Is it fair to take a default set by Nifflas, and use it alone, or retextured/recolored as long as he is given credit for the original?

The default sets are free for everyone to use. However, you need to directly ask the tileset's author if you want to modify them for any purpose.

2. My level is based on Alice in Wonderland, an IP which is used in many stories and games one way or another. The way I'm making I want it as faithful as possible to the book, as such her name is actually Alice, I'm using quotes from the book, etc. So since this was written over a hundred years ago, does it fall in with fair use, or can I at least use the idea if I put in a credit about it being based on AIW?  (Please say "yes"  :S)

Alice in Wonderland isn't just fair use, it's so old (144 years old, to be precise) it's public domain. You can do whatever you want with it, but be careful not to use, for example, illustrations done for a version published in 1980, which still would be under copyright.
good bye

Offline AhhCobras

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 03:18:57 »
Alice in Wonderland isn't just fair use, it's so old (144 years old, to be precise) it's public domain. You can do whatever you want with it, but be careful not to use, for example, illustrations done for a version published in 1980, which still would be under copyright.

Awesome, thank you sooo much! :nuts: This is what I figured, but didn't want to put it up just to be taken down. And I plan on doing hand drawn cutscenes, and making my own music if I use any so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot, now I'm really excited! C)p C)p

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 03:42:55 »
Is it fair to take a default set by Nifflas, and use it alone, or retextured/recolored as long as he is given credit for the original?
Yes. Nifflas posted on the old forum that everyone was allowed to remix his tilesets. Just make sure they are actually by him, as not all of the default sets are. You also can't remix the sets that appear only in the expansion pack levels. They are reserved for those levels only, and no one is allowed to use or edit them but Nifflas.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 21:57:55 »
Is it fair to take a default set by Nifflas, and use it alone, or retextured/recolored as long as he is given credit for the original?
Yes. Nifflas posted on the old forum that everyone was allowed to remix his tilesets. Just make sure they are actually by him, as not all of the default sets are. You also can't remix the sets that appear only in the expansion pack levels. They are reserved for those levels only, and no one is allowed to use or edit them but Nifflas.

... unless ofcource you have Nifflas' permission.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline AhhCobras

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 04:26:08 »
Well, the only one I've messed with so far was said quick tileset template, so I assume that was one kind of made for player made material. And I did see one stating "do not use this tileset", I've been trying to pay close attention to the little credits down there so I think I'll be okay.