• 35 Replies

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: the name
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 12:38:34 »
(even just "I think it's dumb" work a lot better than "it's dumb")

All criticism (positive or negative) of any sort of art has an implicit "I think" or "I feel" at the beginning. Adding or removing the words doesn't magically change the criticism so it is suddenly more or less passionate.
good bye

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 12:52:57 »
(please excuse the shouting, i personally think it is necessary)

STOP ARGUING FFS! Nifflas has made a final decision on the name of his game, and plans not to change it any further. FULL STOP. If you don't like it, there's not much you can do about it, other than renaming all the FiNCK files to something else.

whoo, havn't had a shout for a while....

[mod]converted some of the shouting to normal text. Now the shouting is justified and not annoying.[/mod]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 14:00:47 by LPChip »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 14:35:14 »
All criticism (positive or negative) of any sort of art has an implicit "I think" or "I feel" at the beginning. Adding or removing the words doesn't magically change the criticism so it is suddenly more or less passionate.

I'd argue that this isn't always the case. When you omit an "I think", people may infer that what you state isn't just your personal opinion, but a feeling other people may share, a more objective judgment on the matter (possibly from someone who knows what s/he's talking about); if you think your opinion has a more general value (you're an expert on the subject, your opinion has garnered consensus in other instances etc.), you can safely omit the "I think", but when you're just voicing your personal feelings regardless of what other people might think, I think you should make it clear.

It's another matter if you don't care about these small details, but as we're different people with different cultures, scattered all over the world; it's not easy to tell when someone's being rude while communicating with someone else, especially when writing instead of talking. Of course this goes both ways: a little bit of tolerance is necessary on the receiving part as well, but that's usually the case only with complete strangers.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 14:43:30 »
STOP ARGUING FFS! Nifflas has made a final decision on the name of his game, and plans not to change it any further. FULL STOP. If you don't like it, there's not much you can do about it, other than renaming all the FiNCK files to something else.

Nobody is arguing over nifflas should change the name. Just because it's nifflas you don't have to be a suck up, you sound like a complete uther idiot.

Niff, I completely agree with you. There have been times when people's negative criticism has gotten me almost down enough to just beat my computer screen until I get glass shards in my elbows. But I don't. Because like you I can handle it when it's not rude, if it's nicely worded, thought out, and doesn't read like a backwards redneck wrote it, I take criticism well.

Gezz, stop sucking up.

Why not just lock this topic?

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 15:47:52 »
Yeah I think this should be locked too. This argument is even more pointless than that one about inserting a keyboard into the vending machine.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 15:52:28 »
Okey, sure!