the name

• 35 Replies

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
Re: the name
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 18:41:31 »
Oh, guys, Nifflas said that it's not up for discussion, so i don't really think there is any point arguing about it. Either you like it or you dont, i can't see any point in flaming each other over your opinions.
Where did he say that? Bear in mind that I am not a beta tester and therefore cannot access the beta testing forum.
I'd like to point out, as well, that I'm not trying to flame anybody; I requested answers (what and why is this name) and stated my disapproval of their implications (it's pretty forcedly silly and isn't even really English).

Also, I got word from some facebook thing that googoogjoob was flamed or something like that for pointing out how the name is dumb.  Are you referring to this?  Are you biased against discussions of the name because that one failed so miserably?  If so, I'd like to encourage this one to remain civil on all sides (intimidating big words are fine; using moderator powers to censor the opposition, or going off of the topic to complain about how discussions are evil and post silly offenses, such as the ever-popular HAHA IT'S NOT GOING TO CHANGE DEAL WITH IT YOU BABIES is/are not fine).  In particular, I'd like to know what happened with the previous discussion so this one doesn't make the same mistake.
o__  o

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 18:45:25 »
Basically, googoogjoob complained about the name and got his ass handed to him. (To put it simply) That's all.
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 19:02:14 »
"got his ass handed to him"? what?
o__  o

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 19:09:45 »
What I meant by that is that he got his negative comment(s) shot down without much of a fight. Pardon my weird, American slang.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 19:53:17 »
I'm not entirely sure what you're going after here, Mr. Monkey; are you trying to get the name changed or an explanation for why it's like that? The answer to the former is there's next to no chance of changing it, since it's solely Nifflas's choice and he's made up his mind already. The answer to the latter basically sums up to "Why not?" It may be random, but it's still Nifflas's choice, and even though I myself probably would've named it something else, the name does give it a nice touch.

Granted, if you find the name atrociously terrible, you can feel free to refer to it as something else. :)

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 19:57:12 »
Right now I'm more interested in an account of what happened.
o__  o

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 21:00:20 »
I agree the name is kinda stupid, that's why I created  the topic asking about the name. Got locked when goog said something which nifflas removed. So I don't know.

The name has nothing to do with the game which is why I don't like it. Whatever really, the name is not that important, it's the game itself. And if nifflas decided then I don't care.

if you find the name atrociously terrible, you can feel free to refer to it as something else. :)

That is not how things work.

Basically, googoogjoob complained about the name and got his ass handed to him. (To put it simply) That's all.

Not really so please.

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 21:13:34 »
As far as I remember, goog said the name is dumb and forgettable, and then Nifflas said this:

"Objectively speaking, that is? A lot of people said they like it. But since goog said it's dumb and forgettable, it must be true. Really, I get to hear that something sucks from a handful of places whenever I decide or create something. It's just part of making a decision, but it is annoying when people put it like that."

I guess that's the account you're looking for.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 21:40:58 »
Well that was rather immature of Nifflas (primarily the editing).  I guess I know all I need to, now.  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 21:43:43 by Mr. Monkey »
o__  o

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 22:28:40 »
Basically, I take negative criticism badly when it's not constructive and comes in form of short negative unexplained statements using words like "dumb, retarder, sucks" without at least an "I think" to at least point out it's a personal opinion and not a fact. That's just the type of person I am. Apparantly a game developer is expected to be good at taking criticism in any form and take nothing personally. I'm not that person and yet I'd like to continue create and release game in public anyway.

I locked that topic because sometimes I want to avoid a discussion about something I'm not willing to change (the game title in this case) and I moderated goog's post because it was posted in a locked topic. When I lock a topic because I'm not open for a certain discussion and a moderator posts in it, I will also continue to delete those posts in the future.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 22:38:34 by Nifflas »

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 23:20:44 »
I keep thinking of a Finch every time I see the name. Mostly because it's Fink in Swedish, which is pronounced exactly as I pronounce FiNCK.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 23:38:20 »
Apparantly a game developer is expected to be good at taking criticism in any form and take nothing personally.

On the Internet, everyone is expected to, and should, be able to take criticism.  Taking it doesn't mean you can't just ignore it, though.

That said, I'm afraid I don't think the name is very good either.  I don't mind silliness, but it really does feel forced and forgettable to me.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 01:00:11 »
Even put like that the criticism works for me though, because although negative, it's not rude. It's only when it feels like something of an insult I can go offensive. Since I really care to try creating good games, not only for myself, but also for a genuine wish that people will get something out of them, things get problematic when a response is rude and ungrateful. It's also unexpected when it's from a person I have a certain respect for like goog who sorted out plenty of grammar things about Saira. Of course I wish I did not react as much as I do to that kind of feedback, but apparantly I do.

I'd appreciate if people who gets beta access or special privileges to still take care to put it in a nice way (even just "I think it's dumb" work a lot better than "it's dumb") even if you may disagree with how I handle criticism. And, as a beta testing board is meant to aid my development of the game rather than being a place for unlimited freedom of speech, accept that I may not want a certain discussion in it even if you disagree with that too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:00:31 by Nifflas »

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 01:10:12 »
Niff, I completely agree with you. There have been times when people's negative criticism has gotten me almost down enough to just beat my computer screen until I get glass shards in my elbows. But I don't. Because like you I can handle it when it's not rude, if it's nicely worded, thought out, and doesn't read like a backwards redneck wrote it, I take criticism well.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 03:41:30 »
Of course I wish I did not react as much as I do to that kind of feedback, but apparantly I do.
If you ever feel you're being overly angry and rude when you write a response, go look up the top YouTube video and read the comments.

I can guarentee you'll feel a lot better.