I was playing as the ball

• 6 Replies

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
I was playing as the ball
« on: July 10, 2013, 23:46:57 »
When I played Knytt Underground, throughout the entirety of the third chapter the ball was the main character for me. Sure Mi was presented as the main character, and she was the one that the other characters interacted with, but in my head I was the ball. This was his story and the rest were just along for the ride. To the ball the lives of Knytt flit by like mayflies while he is the constant, observing the change in the world over thousands of years and stepping in to lend a helping hand when needed. He even got to meet an old friend in Utopica...

I hope the ball returns in future games. I don't want his adventure to end!

EDIT: I made this post after reading this thread and the article titled "The Sad Story of Knytt Underground" in which some people criticised KU and WaDF for the mechanics of the ball. I on the other hand love the ball and its mechanics, and they will always hold a special place in my heart as being quite unique to Nifflas. I guess I want to know if anyone else felt the same way while playing KU.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 00:12:09 by Feline Monstrosity »
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
Re: I was playing as the ball
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:45:33 »
Indeed - the only people who criticize unconventional platforming mechanics (such as these) are those unskilled enough to adapt to them.  Gish instantly springs to mind...

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:14:42 »
Actually, it does not even have to be the unskilled factor. It can simply be a matter of expecting something and getting surprised by something else. People don't often are open for change and surprises. But its their loss really. Expression is the first stage, called denial.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 14:43:05 »
Speaking honestly, I was at first not happy about the idea of combining Knytt and WaDF in this manner, because I preferred Knytt and KS greatly over WaDF, especially in terms of control.

But all that melted away as soon as it became apparent that I could freely switch between the two states at any time for the majority of the game.  The ball for me became a tool I could use on occasion instead of a handicap at all times.

As for the story aspect, it was hard for me to relate to the ball, because apart from certain locations in the game, it has no relevance to the overall plot apart from some back-story details.  Mi, to me, was much more relatable.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 22:44:43 »
I am also pretty much on the ball faction too. The first Nifflas games I played were WaDF and the operator status series, so for me those were what this was all about. In terms of plot, however, it is quite clear that the game is essentially centered in Mi's character, but the links to WaDF are also noticeable and make it hard to forget that the ball does indeed have an important role.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 07:38:55 »
I'm in the same approximate boat as Fubaka on this one. Although now that I'm playing through ch3 again I'm starting to feel that Bob and Mi are essentially two sides of the same coin (to borrow a cliché).

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:50:08 »
I'm actually very glad people play it differently, and feels differently about this. It's kind of what I was after :)