Why must games be free?

• 57 Replies

Re: Why must games be free?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:50:28 »
Because you don't want to advertise games that someone goes out to buy just because you praise it and post maybe one good screenshot. The idea behind this board is to share great games, not tell people to buy them.
Lurk more.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:27:17 »
Because you don't want to advertise games that someone goes out to buy just because you praise it and post maybe one good screenshot. The idea behind this board is to share great games, not tell people to buy them.
Well said.

It's also because, if you like one game and post a screenshot of it, someone may like the screenshot, buy the game, and then not like the game. Then, you'll be harrassed, leading to an argument, which is against the forum's rules, banning both of you. :)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:53:49 »
I think the idea was that these are other free games, posted on a forum concerned with one particular maker of free games.

Of course, some of the games that have been posted are semi-free, like shareware. That is, you can play for free, but you can get more stuff from the game if you pay to register/buy/whatever. And now that Nifflas has a game being released commercially, the "other free games" label is slightly misleading.

I wouldn't have a problem with non-free games being posted, as long as they were clearly labelled to separate them from the freeware games.

And if someone buys a game based on a screenshot, and then doesn't like the game, they have no right to be angry with whoever posted the game, unless the person who posted the game was demonstrably lying about it.  It's not really any different than buying a game at a store based on the box art. And the person doing the harassing would get banned, not the person who posted the game. (Unless that person fought harassment with harassment, of course.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:43:20 by googoogjoob »
good bye

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:11:26 »
But I do have a problem with posting semi-free games.

You play a game, and then you get addicted, and must pay to play the entire game. There are lots of good free games. In the past, we didn't allowed it, and I don't see a reason why we suddenly should allow demo's, shareware, etc.

The entire idea is: Nifflas has made all his games for free (with exception of nightgame and possible future games) but they're all still free. We do not want to obligate members to play only half a game, especially if discussions start to happen about games that you can only take part of, after you've bought the game.

Example of something I want to prevent:

Someone posts a game with demo version. The person itself bought it.

Another person bought it too, but got stuck in level 15 and he posts his question about it. Another person then wants to help, but he finds out that he doesn't even have the full version, meaning that he misses out on everything.

So once again: No, only entirelly free games are allowed. If at some point you have to pay to get to play everything, then simply don't post about it. Telling about it at IRC is okay though.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 01:21:53 »
Ah, that makes sense.  Sorry about the recent topic, which you apparently deleted. :oops:
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:39:05 »
But I do have a problem with posting semi-free games.
What about Soldat (an awesome addictive shooter) thats semi free because you can register, but the funny thing is register gives you nothing  XD ohhh some more colors and music  or you can make a custom character woopde-fricken-doo  X-P
so can games like that can they be posted (soldat has already been posted but i mean in furure reference)? i mean the register doesnt make much of a difference (for some games that is  :( ) :huh:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:50:10 »
But registration is free right?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 14:37:21 »
I'd say that games that you CAN register for (if that may be free or not), are allowed, as long as you don't NEED to register to play properly. If registering just gives you gimmicks without which you can still win/have fun/whatever, that should be alright.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

4a

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 17:13:16 »
I'd say that games that you CAN register for (if that may be free or not), are allowed, as long as you don't NEED to register to play properly. If registering just gives you gimmicks without which you can still win/have fun/whatever, that should be alright.

As opposed to, like, demos for games that you need to buy to experience fully or whatever, right? :O

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 21:19:51 »
right.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:53:51 »
What about most MMOs? You can play and do lots of stuff for free, but to get the most powerful weapons, coolest armors, extra gold or such you have to pay.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:18:02 »
RuneScape was posted and promptly deleted.
good bye

4a

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 16:02:44 »
RuneScape was posted and promptly deleted.

If only the same could be said of the real thing, eh?  <_<

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 16:52:12 »

Don't you advertise every game you post? And its pretty hard to tell ppl what to do over internet.

It's also because, if you like one game and post a screenshot of it, someone may like the screenshot, buy the game, and then not like the game. Then, you'll be harrassed, leading to an argument, which is against the forum's rules, banning both of you. :)

Its up to the person himself to buy the game and if he dont like it he cant blame it on anyone but himself.

Example of something I want to prevent:

Someone posts a game with demo version. The person itself bought it.

Another person bought it too, but got stuck in level 15 and he posts his question about it. Another person then wants to help, but he finds out that he doesn't even have the full version, meaning that he misses out on everything.

That is a good example and it could happen. But I don't see how it could be such a big problem that we cant post unfree and semi-free games.

I'm sry I ask so many questions, it must be irritating.