[Challenge/Hard] Mario Bros (working title)

• 7 Replies
[Challenge/Hard] Mario Bros (working title)
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:57:48 »
Heres a preview of a Mario style level I'm currently working on using Grayface's KS Extended Mod.

http://youtu.be/y8JwYQcbWKI

I also decided to put other level on hold (Penumbra)  because I accidentally deleted its folder... <_<
I'll probably continue it after I'm done with this Mario level.

Updates:

12.07 - Added Inside Mario's House and Underground level.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 19:07:21 by JTsentinel »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: [Challenge/Hard] Mario Bros (working title)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:14:32 »
Nothing happens when I want to watch the video...
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 18:16:45 »
Works fine for me. And looks cool too :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 18:24:45 »
I don't understand the purpose of this level. Why imitate Mario Bros. in KS? I'm afraid I'd repeatedly kill myself by jumping on enemies. Such differences are what gamers will notice most. Even if you become proficient in Lua scripts and managed to make a perfect imitation, then it's still an imitation.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 18:29:57 »
Apparently, youtube's html5 was the cause. Opted out, and now it works again.

I agree with egomassive though, seeing that video, I'd jump on the enemy and kill myself every time.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 20:18:40 »
I'm not going to imitate every level of a Mario game, if thats what you're worried about. Theres going to be a story behind it and other NPC to talk to like in other KS levels. For example, after I'm done with my other tilesets you will be able to get inside Mario's House and the castle in the end of the level. Inside the castle, you will find another doorway to get to another level or world.

My plan was to make the first few screens to look like Mario's "World" and then make a transition to the KS "World." Again, I'm still trying to think about a story and how I would execute this level. I'm open to suggestions on how to make this better.

So, it will still play like a KS level but just with smb style graphics. You'll not see goombas and piranha plants in every level (just the first few screens). If I wanted to create a Mario game imitation, I'd rather use a Mario engine or something similar.

Offline Marximillian

• I don't hate Swedes, what are you implying exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 21:39:44 »
One thing I'd suggest, just so it makes sense to the player, is to replace the goomba sprites with spiny sprites, that way at least it's clear why Mario can't jump on them. Or maybe even give the goombas spike-hats! Then you could have Mario being in a big pickle because his primary method of killing goombas no longer works.
x

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 19:05:27 »
I replaced goomba to spiny sprites. (why didnt I think of that  X)). Also, I decided to take out enemies in the first world and made it more of an exploration scenery. I think thats what people would love to do and I will probably add the challenges in the later worlds.

Update:

Added Inside Mario's House and Underground level.

Thanks for the feedback guys.