Revoking my "make your own graphics" statement

• 7 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Revoking my "make your own graphics" statement
« on: August 23, 2011, 16:54:46 »
I'm revoking my request that you can only use your own graphics. Feel free to use anything from the main episode of the game.

In the future when I supply games with editors, I'm also planning to have a more "open" attitude where everyone can use my material for their own levels (apart from in completely different games).

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
Re: Revoking my "make your own graphics" statement
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 23:21:06 »
This will make things easier...
Question: As long as i credit you, can i do palette swaps of certain tiles in your tilesets...

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:16:16 »
Yeah, editing anything you want.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 13:58:32 »
 <3

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 15:17:14 »
Does this apply to your strange dream expansion pack tilesets? can anyone freely use them in their ks levels?

This applies to Saira, not Knytt Stories. I suspect nifflas is doing this to make level editing more accessible for Saira. Besides, Making tilesets for Knytt Stories is easy.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:03:21 »
Besides, Making tilesets for Knytt Stories is easy.

Yes but it's not easy to make tilesets of that quality, it takes time and skills.
There has been some confusion about these tilesets since some people use them in their
levels. If they are allowed and why or just don't care it seems that anyone can use them without any consequences. I would like to know if these tilesets are free to use or not.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 01:59:08 »
Salmonous, it seems pretty clear to me that you would need to ask directly for permission to use them, and it's a case-by-case, but otherwise it's a strict no. I'm not Nifflas but I'm thinking that's the case here. Also, I agree, it does take time to make tilesets of such quality- but I think the time required is worth it and I'd personally rather know that I spent a lot of time on my own tileset rather than simply borrow someone elses without them wanting me to. I personally don't blame Nifflas for such a policy. As a tileset creator, you don't want people to simply use your work in every level, when it's supposed to be unique to only yours. He's probably quite partial to them, and in his position, it would be hard to watch people trade in their creativity and time for his all the time. He already has plenty of tilesets you can use, so I don't think him being more strict on certain ones is unfair.

On the topic, I am glad Nifflas has revoked his statement on Saira, since it's quite difficult to come up with entirely original graphics for such a complicated graphics style. (lots of details, different objects, etc). I personally thank him for that, although I don't know if I will personally end up with a finished Saira level.