Knytt Stories Level Editor - Custom Objects Error

• 6 Replies

Offline MCSuire

• I love Knytt Stories. That's all you have to know.
    • View Profile
Knytt Stories Level Editor - Custom Objects Error
« on: May 11, 2011, 20:16:28 »
This issue is related to Knytt Stories, the Knytt Stories Level Editor, and the custom objects feature.

I'm not entirely sure if this is true, but I think this may be related to custom objects.

I have been trying to post a type of animation I've created, mostly for a type of obstructional-ambience. My nickname for it is called the "Blackout Tile". This custom object is used to create a type of darkness effect which fades in and out continuously.

It uses 10 frames for the animation, and each frame is 24x24 pixels in width. I've had it set up correctly in the "World" notepad file for the level. It runs at an animation speed of 200. I used GIMP 2 to create the transparency. The link for the custom object is below:

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx14/MCSuire/blackout1.png

Now here is the problem I am having:

Whenever I apply the object and try to test the level, I get the following error mesage:

"Game exectuable                       has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."

I really am not sure what the problem is. I have done something like this (the only difference was that there were only two frames and no fading effect. It was still transparent and meant as an ambience tile).

I don't have any idea what is going on with the game, and I have a hunch that this is about the animation I've made. The error message only started appearing after I made the animation and applied it to the level.

Can someone tell me if I did something wrong? I really wanted to include something like this; I thought it might be interesting and make the level somewhat higher in terms of difficulty, at least the manner in which I planned on using it.

Offline MCSuire

• View Profile
Re: Knytt Stories Level Editor - Custom Objects Error
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:03:45 »
Nevermind I just found out the problem. Turns out I forgot to put the custom object in the level's "Custom Objects" folder. XD

Only real issue now is that the black out effect is intended to be set up in over a large area doses to cover the whole room effectively, but this in turn makes it lag. I guess its just too many animations on screen all at once. :moody:

Could somebody delete this? I mean it doesn't really serve much of a use. I mean the way I found out how to solve the problem isn't really important. :/

Offline MCSuire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:57 »
Also the blackout effect is alright to use for your levels. I don't care for credit. However, again, it lags if you try to cover the whole screen with it.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:42:54 »
You can solve your slowdown issues by making one screen sized custom object. My Super Secret Basement by sergiocornaga is a good example of a level that uses such a technique.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:08:25 »
now now, if we removed this topic, how would people be able to use your effect? or know that it's okay to do so? ;)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:53 »
And others might run into the same problem and learn from your solution to fix the issue themselves. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline MCSuire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 03:46:36 »
now now, if we removed this topic, how would people be able to use your effect? or know that it's okay to do so? ;)

Well I guess I can't argue with that. It's just that this sort of thing makes me feel kinda stupid.

You can solve your slowdown issues by making one screen sized custom object. My Super Secret Basement by sergiocornaga is a good example of a level that uses such a technique.

You know what, maybe I'll try that. It would certainly help with a boss level I'm trying to design.

[mod]merged doublepost. you can quote&answer to more than one person per post, just use the "insert quote" button/linkthing at the respective post when you write yours.[/mod]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:48:51 by Miss Paula »