Smiley Requests

• 58 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Smiley Requests
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:19:10 »
I've noticed that there's a lot of popular emotes that don't have a respective smiley here. Like, T-T, but there is  :sad:, but T-T is usually for pure bawling instead of a single tear. There's also o.o and o___o, and, of couse we need a *headdesk* and *facepalm* emote. Purple Pineapple actually suggesed that we need the former two, and he even made static pictures, like un-animated custom objects, but neither of us have the proper programs to animate them.

Anyway, I say we need:   o.o   o___o   T-T   *headdesk*   *facepalm*
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Smiley Requests
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:33:37 »
Subtlety of emotion is better conveyed by text than by abstract textual representations of exaggerated facial expressions.

In any case, I think o.o and o___o are pretty well covered by O_o (that is, there is no meaning or emotion specific to either of them not covered by O_o), and *headdesk* and *facepalm* are covered by :sigh:.

As is, we've got five degrees of simple happiness, two for happiness with eyes closed, two of implications of something, two degrees of "cool" happiness, three simple tongue-sticking-out smileys, two for craziness, three for surprise, two for puzzlement, one for shocked surprise, one for embarrassment, two for frustration, two sad faces, a discontented face, an exasperated one, a depressed one, a sick one, an angry one, and a heart, then an array of Nifflas game characters.

Pretty much everything is covered, and that which isn't can be conveyed by a combination of context and emoticons if necessary.
good bye

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:41:52 »
Subtlety of emotion is better conveyed by text than by abstract textual representations of exaggerated facial expressions.

In any case, I think o.o and o___o are pretty well covered by O_o (that is, there is no meaning or emotion specific to either of them not covered by O_o), and *headdesk* and *facepalm* are covered by :sigh:.

As is, we've got five degrees of simple happiness, two for happiness with eyes closed, two of implications of something, two degrees of "cool" happiness, three simple tongue-sticking-out smileys, two for craziness, three for surprise, two for puzzlement, one for shocked surprise, one for embarrassment, two for frustration, two sad faces, a discontented face, an exasperated one, a depressed one, a sick one, an angry one, and a heart, then an array of Nifflas game characters.

Pretty much everything is covered, and that which isn't can be conveyed by a combination of context and emoticons if necessary.
...True, but if I make a good smiley of one of the ones I mentioned, is there any possibility it could be added to the arsenal of smileys there already made? (Heh...arsenal... :shifty:)

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:47:11 »
I honestly think that we have enough smileys. And we already have more than an average forum, so yeah...
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 04:49:11 »
I honestly think that we have enough smileys. And we already have more than an average forum, so yeah...
Alright, I give up. No moar smileys. :/

Offline Gaeel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 13:25:53 »
And if you really need another smiley to express some subtlety of emotion that can't be conveyed through words, just use img tags :

Note that aside from that one, I never use smileys, ever, they really aren't necessary.
Code: [Select]
<Gaeel> I love you Dataflashsabot!
<Dataflashsabot> I love you too Gaeel!
<Gaeel> Wait are we really having this conversation?
<Dataflashsabot> I think we might be a figment of Gaeel's twisted imagination...

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 22:12:47 »
more smileys please

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 22:13:58 »
Pumpkinbot, if you want those smileys make them youself and upload them on an image uploading site and use the code to make them appear on the forum in your message.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 22:18:09 »
Pumpkinbot, if you want those smileys make them youself and upload them on an image uploading site and use the code to make them appear on the forum in your message.
That's what Gaeel said. I might, though. :/ If I do, I'll start using them, and then others can use them. :P

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • Esper - A webcomic based on Espernet
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 03:12:47 »
Quite a while ago, on the old forum, I made a bunch of emotes, as people had expressed interest in them. They're in the same style as the nifforum emotes, and you can use them if you wish. (Use them by copying the image location from the right click menu and using that in [img] tags here) Of course, if the admins don't want you to, then you'll have to consent.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:27:20 by LPChip »
- Nifflas
:hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: - Chironex
:hiddenstar: - The Old Nifflas' Forum Community for my userbars
:hiddenstar: - Halflight
:hiddenstar: - BloxMaster
:hiddenstar: - Aquatic Liger

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 03:20:41 »
Quite a while ago, on the old forum, I made a bunch of emotes, as people had expressed interest in them. They're in the same style as the nifforum emotes, and you can use them if you wish. (Use them by copying the image location from the right click menu and using that in [img] tags here) Of course, if the admins don't want you to, then you'll have to consent.
Schweet. :O

EDIT: Can't find 'em. <_<

LATEEDIT: *headdesk* You linked to them. Wow, I'm dense. :moody:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:27:50 by LPChip »

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 03:33:00 »

I love this one

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 03:39:02 »

I love this one

:O SWEET! But I think this should be locked. :/ Someone please lock this.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 03:50:14 »
two of Sabata's emotes were actually included, if anybody missed that. <_< There aren't going to be any more, as I can't imagine anything that's truly missing. And it's an idiotic effort to add smileys properly.
That doesn't mean this topic has to be locked though. So far it's not full of stupid pointless posts.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 06:42:40 »
two of Sabata's emotes were actually included, if anybody missed that. <_< There aren't going to be any more, as I can't imagine anything that's truly missing. And it's an idiotic effort to add smileys properly.
That doesn't mean this topic has to be locked though. So far it's not full of stupid pointless posts.
Alright. I guess it can stay open. C)
EDIT: ZOMFG! Look what I did! It's Awesome Face in NSF form!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:27:43 by Pumpkinbot »