[puzzle] Net (suitable for work/portable)

• 7 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
[puzzle] Net (suitable for work/portable)
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:16:47 »
Net is a game in which the computer prepares a network by connecting up the centres of squares in a grid, and then shuffles the network by rotating every tile randomly. Your job is to rotate it all back into place. The successful solution will be an entirely connected network, with no closed loops. As a visual aid, all tiles which are connected to the one in the middle are highlighted.

Download (<100kb)

controls:

left mousebutton to rotate counter clockwise
left mousebutton + control or right mousebutton to rotate clockwise
left mousebutton + shift or middle mousebutton to mark and lock/unlock cell

game options:

You can play predefined grids as in: 5x5, 7x7, 9x9, 11x11 and 13x11 with additional choice of having the border wrap or not. (wrappable borders make this game twice as hard, if not more.

Additionally, you are allowed to create a custom board. I'm very intrigued at attempting to solve a 60x40 screen, which I have done once now, and am in a 2nd run. (notice, required resolution for this is 1920x1200).

Additionally, if you attempt to solve such big thing, you'll happy to hear you can save your game at any time to continue at a later stage.

And as the title says, this game is suitable for work. This means, there's no time, actions are instant and the difficulty settings allow you to finetune your game so it doesn't become boring.

If you find this game difficult, I can provide some tactics that will help making it easier.

In any case, I strongly suggest to start at 5x5 bordered just to get the idea, and work your way up. I went from 9x9 to 30x30 and I was overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:18:52 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Re: [puzzle] Net (suitable for work/portable)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:36:58 »
That's pretty cool, I like games with a very simple concept that can be expanded to be more difficult. It's also very reminiscent of one of the Saira minigames isn't it?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:39:51 »
Its a classic small game which has been made in many different games as mini games. The nicest thing of this game is, that the other games usually are far easier. Putting a 60x40 grid and try and solve that, well thats when things become interesting! :)

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 15:10:09 »
my screen isn't big enough for 60 by 40 while still have it not evill small. but I like it anyways, even if it's just a few simple guidelines to keep in mind when solving; I like more-or-less brainless games. :P2
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 15:49:20 »
try 13x11 borderless, its not brainless anymore ;)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 17:46:32 »
that doesn't essentially make it less dull, it just makes it more tedious to find the mistakes one might make.
and do note, I'm not against dull games.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 18:50:14 »
I just found out you can resize the game and it'll make everything look smaller. So a 60x40 doesn't require 1920x1200 resolution.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline kritter

• Curly Tree!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 00:44:14 »
Nice nice.

that doesn't essentially make it less dull, it just makes it more tedious to find the mistakes one might make.

I would contend that it takes more brainy awesomeness to compute reasonably and remember whether or not specific subconformations should not be repeated.  :crazy: