Blue Prints KS tilesets

• 8 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Blue Prints KS tilesets
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:54:51 »
This tileset pack was made for a KS project I've never mentioned before. The level was going to be an extremely in depth tutorial on what jumps were, weren't, and might be possible. I decided to drop the project months ago, but I really liked the tilesets and gradients I'd made for it. I just recently finished the sets. I still have no plans to use them myself, so I'm releasing them for public Knytt Stories use.

Download BluePrints.zip

The zip file includes 2 tilesets and 4 gradients. The tilesets are marked "KS use/edit ok" meaning you are free to use them, modify them, or borrow from them for Knytt Stories. Be sure to credit me, but you already knew that. The gradients fall under the same rules, except I don't ask for credit on 24 pixel wide gradients. There are some objects for making environments, but there's no distant landscape. They're supposed to appear as though they're drawn on flat surfaces, so the illusion of depth doesn't make sense. The examples below are designed to show what's in the sets and how to use them.

edit: Fixed link. Forgot the capitals in the link address
edit: Updated tile pack and screenshots
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:26:42 by egomassive »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Prints KS tilesets
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:18:39 »
really pretty. :D
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 20:52:53 »
@Salmoneous: Thanks. The sample pictures you see above are all I ever made. (There was also a chalkboard version of the second sample.) I make screens while I'm drawing tilesets to see if they work. I never got to the level designing stage. For the most part the screens didn't even fit together.

@Paula: Thank you.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 21:12:59 »
I like it a lot too. I do have some constructive critisism to make one small aspect even nicer. The gradient of the white sheet with blue lines: the blue lines are pretty sharp. If you would make them a bit more vague, it would look nicer.

To see what I mean, check this link: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/displacedtexan/blandishment/doanepaperjpeg.jpg

The lines normally are only for guidance, not as a necessary item on the paper. I hope you know what I mean. X)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 22:15:57 »
the white paper gradient isn't his, so your constructive criticism is slightly misplaced. :P2
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 23:28:07 »
Really? heh.

My bad then X)

Still, EgoMassive could recreate a gradient and fix this issue :P

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 07:50:21 »
LPChip's right about the gradients. I was being lazy. I've now added 2 new gradients to the tile pack. You can see how they look in the top post, pictures 2b and 4b. The light backgrounds now sport the same polished look as the dark backgrounds. More importantly, for me anyway, they aren't blindingly bright.  8) I suppose I can take these sun glasses off.  :) Oh yes. Not painful to look at at all.

I also adjusted the colored tiles in the dark set to show better on the light backgrounds. I added a drop shadow to the post-it note in both sets. I'm much happier with it now. I probably would have left it as it was without LPChip's criticism. So, thank you LPChip.

By the way it is egomass-ive as well as ego-massive, a double meaning. So, if you're going to capitalize it: Egomassive. I don't capitalize it to intentionally belittle my arrogant sounding name.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:46:49 »
The improvements are great! Much better.

I feel honoured that I helped you. :)

So, you're welcome Egomassive. C)

MODPlug Central Forum