• 10 Replies
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 23:23:22 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Puzzle/Hard] Grey (Compo entry)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:31:46 »
Very nice level and very nice visuals  ;), but I think that although I figured out what I'm supposed to do, I can't figure out how to do it  :oops:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

UPD: Never mind, just figured it out. Terrific stuff.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:13:32 by yohji »

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 13:23:59 »
Ooh, very clever.

I completely missed the fact that
and probably wouldn't have realised it if Yohji hadn't pointed it out behind his spoiler tags. Then

By the way, very clever

I think I still liked Satellites better (sorry... at least I'm not a judge though  ;)) ... but then again, if you'd used a dark-grey background instead of the void I might have felt differently. I'm very visually-oriented.

I wish I'd realised this contest was going on sooner... I would've at least tried to enter something. Well, maybe I'll do it anyway and just release it, if it works...

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 21:59:37 »
i can't seem to reply to this post...

im having a problem playing the level... it installed just fine (or at least appeared to be)... but when i went to go play the level there was only an empty space with a "0"... i've never had an issue like this before :(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 22:01:31 by theiza27 »

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:34:46 »
I think I still liked Satellites better (sorry... at least I'm not a judge though  ;)) ... but then again, if you'd used a dark-grey background instead of the void I might have felt differently. I'm very visually-oriented.
OMFG I forgot to change the background before I released it FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Yeah. I was trying to pick a background, but everytime I added a new object to the screen, it didn't look right. So I figured I'd just add the background after I finished the level.
Lurk more.

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 09:19:28 »
could anyone give me some solutions to this situation? i'd really like to play this level :(

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:32:21 »
Eh, I kind of liked the way the level looked with that void background. Abstract and everything. :crazy:

@theiza27: It shows as () for me too, but is still playable, I just click it the way I click any other KS level.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 16:20:18 »
@ theiza27 & yohji:

The level shows up, when you go to choose one from your list of installed levels to play, as '()' instead of 'Grey (Purple Pineapple)' because the Name and Author fields were blanked in the 'World properties' screen in the editor (or in the world.ini file -- same effect) after the level was created. (In the editor, it shows up in the list of installed levels as 'Purple Pineapple - Grey' just as it should, and the filename is 'Purple Pineapple - Grey.knytt.bin' to match.) So the filename & world folder name tell the game engine where to put the level in the listing, alphabetically, even though we can't see the author or title displayed there.

I was actually wondering how that was done when I played the level, and just taught myself how by looking in the editor. I'd seen levels with a different title in the level-select listing than the name listed in the level archive or used in the .knytt.bin filename before, but it never occurred to me to just blank those fields.

PP also gave the level a blank icon, which makes it look even weirder in the level/world-select screen.

Anyway, theiza, like yohji said, all you have to do is click on or near that () that looks like an 0, and you'll be able to play it.

Actually, it's eggplant.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 18:14:23 »
I didn't do anything fancy or special with the editor to do that. I created a "Purple Pineapple - Grey" folder in KS\Worlds\ :P That's what I usually do when I know there's a custom tileset I want to use. That, and sometimes the editor throws a "That level already exists" error when I try to create a new level.
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 20:10:31 »
Well, that was a nice level! I enjoyed it quite a bit. You were able to fit the puzzle into one room quite nicely, and it took me several tries to figure it out. I wish you'd remembered to put that background in, though. :/

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 20:48:08 »
Well, that was a nice level! I enjoyed it quite a bit. You were able to fit the puzzle into one room quite nicely, and it took me several tries to figure it out. I wish you'd remembered to put that background in, though. :/
Me too. Tell you what, I'll fix it. And put up a secondary download for the fixed one on the first post.
Lurk more.