[Adventure/I think somethin else] Wall Walker

• 11 Replies
[Adventure/I think somethin else] Wall Walker
« on: January 16, 2010, 13:54:47 »
Wall Walker: The title is self-explanatory.

Description: It is just a normal adventure game in which you use WASD keys to move. That is, until you make it to the Running Wall area. There is a ledge which cannot be jumped. As you decide to use the arrow keys, you discover an awesome secret that will get you up there. (hehehe... guess what it is...)

Screenshots: Once again, attachments. I have chosen the Street Mash, Stone Stripe, Barricade, Brain City and Megapolis area.

Click to play
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 13:56:37 by StraightFlame »

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: [Adventure/I think somethin else] Wall Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 19:41:46 »
The idea seems very interesting (maybe not entirely original, but fresh). Too bad I can't stand isometric-view action games, I never get the controls right; moreover, the controls in this game seem too complicated for me.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 22:54:59 »
Pumpky no liek controls. |(
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:10:28 »
(this may be the worst idea ever, to post this here. Mods, feel free to lock delete this, unless just these two people hate it. Well, i don't want it to be deleted, but whatever.)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 20:21:24 »
(this may be the worst idea ever, to post this here. Mods, feel free to lock delete this, unless just these two people hate it. Well, i don't want it to be deleted, but whatever.)
Don't get me wrong, it's a great concept, but I hate it when pressing up makes you go diagonal. When I was a kid, the main thing I liked about the "Megaman: Battle Network" series was the isometric view. But, when you pressed up, you went up. When you pressed up and left, you went diagonal.

So, yah, good concept, poor execution.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 21:25:48 »
lol. It-s a Pumpkin that saves the day!

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 22:16:54 »

Hey, no reason to delete the post. Not all people comment about the games, and it's only a coincidence that the only two comments so far weren't positive.

I posted just because it seemed a good concept for a game, and i tend to like simple puzzle games like this one; I'm also pretty sure there's a lot of people who like/prefer that kind of controls in isometric games. Personally I don't like either variant on controls.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Teper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 22:39:53 »
Nice game overall, but the wasd controls are terrible. Especially with an azerty keyboard...

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:56:09 »
Nice game overall, but the wasd controls are terrible. Especially with an azerty keyboard...
Azerty? lolwut? I've heard of "qwerty" and "qwertz", but "azerty"? Where is that?

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 03:21:31 »
It's like the qwerty, only the Z and W and the A and Q are swapped.
source: google images
Lurk more.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 04:02:52 »
AZERTY is a french keyboard. Looking at online images, here's its layout:
A Z E R T Y U I O P
 Q S D F G H J K L M
  W X C V B N
It's quite a departure from what I expected it would look like.  I mean, where's « and », those French quotation marks I had to keep using Insert Symbol to get in Word during French class? I thought at least a French keyboard would have them.  LOL XD

Slightly less offtopic, I agree that it is hard to tell which way is which.  This is for two reasons.  One is that you might be moving in one direction, then you come up to a ledge, and you think that to get on it, you can rotate and then keep moving in that same direction.  But nope - that direction goes somewhere else.

The other reason is that it is not perfectly isometric; it is skewed.  In the initial orientation, the mappings of WASD make sense because it is skewed in your favor.  Looking at the dimensions of the tiles on the ground, you can see that the tile you are on is stretched further horizontally on the NW-SE (\) side than it is on the NE-SW (/) side.  So NW-SE is the x-axis (moved along with A and D) and NE-SW is the y-axis (moved along with W and S).
While it would still be much nicer if W simply went up and S simply went down, it is easy to discern which way is up/down and which way is sideways.

That is... until you rotate. In the other two orientations, NE-SW is the more horizontally skewed axis of the two.  But it's still the Y-axis, moved along with W and S.

W always goes NE. D always goes SE. S always goes SW. A always goes NW.  Rest assured, consistency isn't the issue.
Rather, the problem is rather that two thirds of the time, the axis that you travel along with W and S is more horizontal than the axis that you travel along with A and D.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:13:33 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 05:40:18 »
AZERTY is a french keyboard. Looking at online images, here's its layout:
A Z E R T Y U I O P
 Q S D F G H J K L M
  W X C V B N
It's quite a departure from what I expected it would look like.  I mean, where's « and », those French quotation marks I had to keep using Insert Symbol to get in Word during French class? I thought at least a French keyboard would have them.  LOL XD

Slightly less offtopic, I agree that it is hard to tell which way is which.  This is for two reasons.  One is that you might be moving in one direction, then you come up to a ledge, and you think that to get on it, you can rotate and then keep moving in that same direction.  But nope - that direction goes somewhere else.

The other reason is that it is not perfectly isometric; it is skewed.  In the initial orientation, the mappings of WASD make sense because it is skewed in your favor.  Looking at the dimensions of the tiles on the ground, you can see that the tile you are on is stretched further horizontally on the NW-SE (\) side than it is on the NE-SW (/) side.  So NW-SE is the x-axis (moved along with A and D) and NE-SW is the y-axis (moved along with W and S).
While it would still be much nicer if W simply went up and S simply went down, it is easy to discern which way is up/down and which way is sideways.

That is... until you rotate. In the other two orientations, NE-SW is the more horizontally skewed axis of the two.  But it's still the Y-axis, moved along with W and S.

W always goes NE. D always goes SE. S always goes SW. A always goes NW.  Rest assured, consistency isn't the issue.
Rather, the problem is rather that two thirds of the time, the axis that you travel along with W and S is more horizontal than the axis that you travel along with A and D.
Ah, thanks. :D