Keyboard and software for music creation.

• 12 Replies

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
Keyboard and software for music creation.
« on: December 07, 2009, 14:30:53 »
I had a few attempts at creating music in the past. I used a free software nifflas recommended. Don't remember it's name(bad memory).
The problem is, I was able to play on the PC keyboard the music I had in mind, but I wouldn't know how to write it in the program. I mean, it didn't sound the same, I couldn't get the same timing by manually placing notes in the program, instead of playing it in the keyboard. After a while I would forget what I was trying to do, and basically it's really difficult to create music like that, for me.
So I was thinking of getting a software that allows to record the notes from a "musical keyboard"(The thing that it's keys looks like of a piano, only it connects to the computer).
I am willing to pay for this. Do you recommend me to try create music like that? I am trying to cut corners and should learn differently?
What software and "musical keyboard" can you suggest me?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Keyboard and software for music creation.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 15:25:58 »
If you have an external midi keyboard, try EnergyXT.

Its what I use to record music using a midi keyboard.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 15:40:38 »
I use FL studio and some cheap cruddy Yamaha midi keyboard to do this. If all you want to do is record notes I doubt you will need anything as expensive as FL though.
Heed our wise admins advice and get EnergyXT, along with a keyboard with midi output.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 23:22:36 »
If you want to record from a MIDI keyboard, you can hardly go wrong with Anvil StudioModPlug Tracker also supports MIDI recording, although ModPlug Tracker isn't really ideal for actual MIDI composition.

Both are free.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:25:00 »
What you're looking for is a MIDI Keyboard. Many come pre-packaged with synth or Audio Production software.

If you really want to get into it, get a program like Reason (around $500, but worth it.) or FL Studio.

Here's the one I bought, came with Ableton Live Lite and over 500 synths. I recommend it. Best bet for pretty much anything musical is either Guitar Center or Musician's Friend.

Yes, with music making it's always smart to invest in a keyboard. And a good program. If you're willing to spend more, Reason, Ableton Live, and FL Studio are all great and pretty user-friendly. And Energy XT is worth checking out, although i only own the demo version  :oops:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:31:30 by StaticRomantic »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:41:37 »
Yes, with music making it's always smart to invest in a keyboard. And a good program. If you're willing to spend more, Reason, Ableton Live, and FL Studio are all great and pretty user-friendly. And Energy XT is worth checking out, although i only own the demo version  :oops:

I agree, but it would be wise to make sure that you're able to play first. Assumed that you can, I would invest in a good instrument too. If you're unsure, either visit a store and try it out, or buy a cheap model that you don't mind to replace for an expensive one in a year or so.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 22:16:50 »
I'm not the least bit impressed with Fruity Loops.  Reason is awesome though.
I use Propellerheads Reason 4 and Ableton Live 7, and a KORG Microkontroller for a keyboard.
And now that Propellerheads have come out with Record, it does the jobs of both reason and live, so...
Propellerheads Record is my suggestion.  expensive, but worth every penny.

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 14:17:12 »
I got my controler. :D
I couldn't find the activation key of the program that came with it, so I am using Anvil Studio for now. Their forum is down, so I will try asking here.
How can I add chip tone instruments into Anvil Studio? Also, is there a way to make the volume of every key press is the same? I hate when I don't press strong enough and the volume gets so weak. Maybe I need to set it in the controler, somehow.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 14:45:40 »
I don't know how to work with Anvil studio. As for changing the volume, it most likely is possible, but I would advise against it. Learning to strike the key with the right velocity is a very good thing to master. Especially since when you aren't using this, you'll hear every mistake you make very clearly.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 22:00:55 »
Check the settings on the keyboard itself.  On my keyboard, one of its FX is called "sensitivity" and when I set it to "Off", all notes play at the same volume.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 22:04:15 »
How can I add chip tone instruments into Anvil Studio?

You can't add any new instruments to MIDI, no matter what program you use.  MIDI has its own set of instruments and you cannot change it.  If you want to use your own instruments/samples/sounds/whatever you want to call them, I suggest you try composing modules instead, and I recommend you use the aforementioned ModPlug Tracker for it.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 22:12:23 »
How can I add chip tone instruments into Anvil Studio?

You can't add any new instruments to MIDI, no matter what program you use.  MIDI has its own set of instruments and you cannot change it.
Almost.

MIDI doesn't have its own instruments.  The instruments are in a file on the computer.

When a computer plays MIDI, it runs it through a VSTi that interprets and plays the notes.  However, because .midi files are always played by a standard VSTi built into the computer (for Windows, this is the MS Wavetable Synth), .midi files themselves always use those default instruments.

Many MIDI-editing programs allow you to set up a VSTi synth in your project so that your music can be played by other instruments.  Perhaps you can find a good chiptone VSTi online?

Like minmay said, an actual MIDI file cannot include the instruments from that synth.  The way you make MIDI use different instruments is by using MIDI software that allows you to select a synth.  But the program you use will either need to have its own special native save format that isn't MIDI, or it will need to be able to render your file to mp3/ogg.

If all the program can do is compose MIDI, play MIDI, and save to MIDI format (and I believe this is the case with Anvil), you're stuck with the standard VSTi.
EDIT: Yup, Anvil Studio cannot load third-party VSTi unless you purchase the Pro Mix accessory.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 22:26:41 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 08:49:55 »
I'm not the least bit impressed with Fruity Loops.  Reason is awesome though.
I use Propellerheads Reason 4 and Ableton Live 7, and a KORG Microkontroller for a keyboard.
And now that Propellerheads have come out with Record, it does the jobs of both reason and live, so...
Propellerheads Record is my suggestion.  expensive, but worth every penny.

dude, we're pretty much brothers now.