Mafia 3 - Town victory

• 302 Replies

Offline Budja

• View Profile
Re: Mafia 3 - Day 2
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2009, 15:50:07 »
@LL, threatening lurkers with a lynch is sometimes necessary to lure them out. If they start contribution the wagon can be halted, shifted, whatever if need be.

@Lunar, pretty much the answer I was expecting :P. I was also uncomfortable with koromi's panic on day 1, a typical scum reaction IMO unlike NES's flipout.

In short, I'm convinced.
vote: koromi

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2009, 15:53:20 »
Quote from: Lunar
That being said, voting for and killing a player is very different.
QFT

Quote from: Lunar
That being said, perhaps my pessimism, or rather my realism on the subject of attempting to higher the standard of Mafia on this forum is clouding my view of a better solution to the problem. If you have one, fire away.

It is tough as playing too strongly/aggressively seems to slow down the game a lot here.

Offline Lunar_Tick

• "Do not disturb my circles"
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2009, 16:00:04 »
QFT
Quad Ferat Temonstratum?

It is tough as playing too strongly/aggressively seems to slow down the game a lot here.
Indeed.
Although I wouldn't use the word strongly or aggresively.
Νίψον ἀνομήματα μὴ μόναν ὄψιν

Offline NESgamer190

• X-com's nightmare: Chryssalid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2009, 16:01:05 »
After reading up on some of the posts, I've only a real inclination to speak to Razzorman.
About the theory of bored's death:  Being frank, as well as honest, I suspect another wagon is coming to try and make turfkill out of me, but I feel as though that wagon will not come this time, due to new data arrival.
Considering Budja's support to the Lunar theory, I will have to FOS Koromi (And remove my finger from everyone else I had, as I need most of them for typing), as much as I would want to vote Koromi, I'd be accused of a bandwagon and then become headless.  (Not to be negative, but I do not want to go through another near death.)  Koromi, not to sound crude or anything, but care to explain the small panic Budja and Lunar kindly mention?
@Lunar about QFT:  It abbreviates into Quote For the Truth.  It states the quote is quite solid in honesty.
Unretired.
http://nesgamer7190.deviantart.com/ (My DeviantArt Account.  Behold my not too good artistics.)
  (Mafia 9 pie maniac)

I really have nothing going for me for creative signatures.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2009, 16:09:40 »
@LL, threatening lurkers with a lynch is sometimes necessary to lure them out. If they start contribution the wagon can be halted, shifted, whatever if need be.

@Lunar, pretty much the answer I was expecting :P. I was also uncomfortable with koromi's panic on day 1, a typical scum reaction IMO unlike NES's flipout.

In short, I'm convinced.
vote: koromi

What panic? Also, I don't think your role affects much how you react on a vote towards you. That's more a personal thing.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2009, 16:16:24 »
@NES, if you find a player suspicious and worthy of a vote, then (in most cases) you should vote for them. Self-preservation is not really needed as town (been nightkilled is the best compliment the mafia can give you  ;)).

Do you actually find koromi scummy? Even if you find Lunar or myself pro-town, you should still look at koromi yourself.

Now we've probably scared everyone away with this burst of activity :P.

Preview Edit: @LL, koromi got quite stressed when I voted him early day 1. Your role does indeed affect your reaction to a vote. When I have played as scum, I generally find votes on me are quite unsettling. Scum have generally more to lose if they are lynched. Town PRs know they can claim to avoid a lynch and vanilla town know that they are innocent, so the case against them must be wrong in some way.
NES's reaction was also a bit suss. But that appears to be part of his personality than anything else.

Offline NESgamer190

• X-com's nightmare: Chryssalid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 03, 2009, 16:20:40 »
@budja:
I honorably thought that the case of bandwagon overrides the hunt for scum somehow in some wierd paradox, and considering he did have a small panic, which may be showing he has a face card (so to speak), I've no real choice but to pull this off.  vote Koromi.  Better to die in a blaze of glory, than to die in eternal shame I say.  Also to note budja, you couldn't have gone closer to the truth with my stressful freakout.  I've mentioned once, maybe twice before, but I'll say again, I can safely assure you that I won't panic that way again.
Unretired.
http://nesgamer7190.deviantart.com/ (My DeviantArt Account.  Behold my not too good artistics.)
  (Mafia 9 pie maniac)

I really have nothing going for me for creative signatures.

Offline Lunar_Tick

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2009, 16:26:46 »
What panic? Also, I don't think your role affects much how you react on a vote towards you. That's more a personal thing.

I disagree.
If I were a mafia and I saw three votes for me on day 2, I would react to it differently if I were a townie and I saw three votes for me on day 2 and I would react to it differently if I were a doctor and I saw three votes for me on day 2.
Although character does play quite a large role, role plays a much larger role, and more importantly, reactions from votes can give a fairly accurate clue, most of the time. I think this is pretty much agreed on by all, so I don't have to get into a classic Lunar long-winded post about it.
:3

I've only a real inclination to speak to Razzorman.
Go ahead then.

I suspect another wagon is coming to try and make turfkill out of me
What why? No votes on you, no good arguments against you. What why, I say!

but I feel as though that wagon will not come this time
Doesn't that contradict what you just said? Why are you putting on this illusion of self-uncofidence, anxiety and paranoia?

Offline Lunar_Tick

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 03, 2009, 16:39:09 »
Considering Budja's support to the Lunar theory, I will have to FOS Koromi
So your personal opinion of the role of other, third players is based on the opinion of fourth players on said third player?

I would want to vote Koromi, I'd be accused of a bandwagon and then become headless.
Bandwagons (I haven't looked it up in a Mafia terminology actually I just have):

From MafiaWiki:
"Several Votes on the same player to try to Lynch them or force them to roleclaim; especially used if the votes come in quick succession and without independent reasons.

Bandwagons can be especially frustrating for players, because they can seem to build a momentum of their own. Independent of the validity of the original reasoning that started it. [...]

[...] It is especially dangerous during Lynch-or-Lose situations (where one misvote will make the town lose) and should be avoided at that point."

I'd like to point out that a bandwagon is dangerous and scummy because players can get a bit overexcited a vote a person into oblivion while ignoring new evidence on the way. We need 6 votes to lynch, we have 3. My votes are never set in stone, and neither should anybody else's be.
As long as those who already vote don't stubbornly keep their vote and as long as those who haven't voted don't vote due to a phenomenon kinda like peer pressure, then we will not fall victim to the momentum of a bandwagon.

So what I'm saying is, don't be silly.

Offline Lunar_Tick

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 03, 2009, 21:56:59 »
Also, back to the events of N1.
We can safely assume that the SK/Mafia did not kill someone. From this two scenarios are derived. Either the target of a SK/Mafia hit was blocked, or the SK/Mafia were so inactive that Purple Pineapple decided to end N1.

@mod: Would you report it to us if the Mafia/SK tried to kill someone and failed?
@mod: Do you maintain a policy of restricting the length of nights if night roles aren't posted for a long time? If yes, would you report the utilization of such a restriction?

If and when further information comes to light, interesting things may happen.

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2009, 22:15:02 »
alright.  it seems i can't leave for 36 hours without mafia post explosions  :O :ohnoes: :shocked: :whoa:

anyway, I must agree that koromi is acting unusually suspicious.  First being mega-scared about a vote against him, then not posting anything at all, is just plain fishy.

vote:koromi
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2009, 22:31:33 »
@mod: Would you report it to us if the Mafia/SK tried to kill someone and failed?
If either fails to kill, there is simply only one lynch. The only people ever to know why besides mafia/sk would be the doctor and maybe investigator.
@mod: Do you maintain a policy of restricting the length of nights if night roles aren't posted for a long time? If yes, would you report the utilization of such a restriction?
For now, the night roles will all be restricted. If actions aren't PMed, no action is taken.
Lurk more.

« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2009, 22:34:02 »
Well, LimeLemon has not argued his case all that much, and he still seems upset by a perfectly legitimate lynch even after it being explained to him several times.
In all honesty, I am very suspicious of him.
vote:LimeLemon although I may change it.

Offline Lunar_Tick

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2009, 23:16:35 »
anyway, I must agree that koromi is acting unusually suspicious.  First being mega-scared about a vote against him, then not posting anything at all, is just plain fishy.

You don't seem to be adding anything new though.
All this information was readily available to you but you only voted for koromi (pretty quickly provided your more skeptical outlook on D1), once all the pieces had been laid out by me and after two other people voted for Koromi. Why, do you think, is this?

@Data: Indeed Limelemon has not provided a proper argument on that issue. However, I am not sure that the fact that he dislikes the Igiari lynch actually makes him necessarily scummy. Would you like to explain why you feel it does?

@Shawn: We had a thing back early D2 a couple of pages back. I'd like you to comment on that when you post (sorry not enough sleep to remember the issue completely although I'm sure there's something worth commenting about :P)

@Limelemon: Yeah what do you think of a) the fact that your stance is not only minority, but in my view mostly wrong except in extreme cases of tactical weirdness which I'm only including as a fail-safe.

@Koromi: Yeah it's pretty obvious.

@Rest: Whaddayathink girls?

Also unvote for now because seriously, if Techno got a bit carried away and another person does then the mafia will have an easy lynch, if were wrong. I'd like to hear everyones reflected opinion on Koromi before. Also I'm going to sleep for about 12 hours and I don't want to come back to a lynch of Koromi after the town put in four votes and the mafia snicked in another two and got a lynch.
I am fine with a Koromi lynch but a) I'm not 100% confident and more importantly b) we can still garner alot from this day. I mean seriously, some guys haven't even posted yet and Koromi definately hasn't. I'm not say --

I'm rambling. G'dnitghtd.

Offline Lunar_Tick

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2009, 23:18:44 »
@Limelemon: Yeah what do you think of a) [...]

(Doh)
And b) please give us a defence against Data vote. What say you about it? TELL MEEEEEEE