Mafia 3 - Town victory

• 302 Replies

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Mafia 3 - Day 1
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2009, 08:43:21 »
TechnoGeek and Limelemon joined the end of the NES wagon without any comment. FoS. What do you two actually think of NES?

I said I agreed with the above posts, that NES was overdefending, suspicous etc. I had nothing to say that not already had been said.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Lunar_Tick

• "Do not disturb my circles"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2009, 12:17:45 »
On Koromi:
it seems pretty unfair to me that i could be lynched simply because i was chosen randomly.
One vote and Koromi mentions future possible lynches of him? Quaint.

..and it seems suspicious to me that you seem not to care who is lynched.
Random baseless statement, I think.
Generally, words like 'seem' and 'could be' water down the suspiciousness of these posts, so... nothing doing with Koromi.

On NES:

I doubt anyone wants me to roleclaim at all, as I'm pretty sure people know from my mafia gaming history who I wind up being 99% of the time...
False probability syllogism. Your role in this game does not hinge on the role you had during previous mafia games. You have chosen, in this post, a peculiar line of defense which fails easily. Why did you choose to point out to use that you have usually were an innocent (regardless if you were or not, I'm not bothered to check)? Why such a desperate defense?

Aye, you've left me but no choice but to give you my final two warnings to thee before thou all maketh fatal moves.
Firstly, you should learn that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it,
and secondly, I will roleclaim if thou desire it, in fact...  I am but a mere townsperson again.  Failure to heed this final warning will give the mafia a head start in repeating history (Translation: a victory for mafia will occur if I wind up hung).  *pulls out cyanide if it comes to his death sentence*

Speaking about this game, at least: Why all this melodrama? Tactically, NESGamer, you are horribly inept. Subterfuge and subtlety seems to elude you. Why? Why are you so inherently paranoid, overprotective of yourself and also so pessimistic? 7 votes weren't so close when you started going all crazy arse. :P

On Shawn:
There's no way to tell who someone is on the first day. You'd need a voting pattern that points at that person being a night role, and even then you can't be sure.
Well. Behaviour in the thread, stumbles a mafia makes, jumping on bandwagons but never making a proper case against suspects... all these things could help weed out a mafia player during the first day.
It is unwise to dismiss Day 1 as inevitably futile, based on the assertion that mafia can be found only randomly on Day 1. Also remember, that even if we do lynch a townie, Day 1 can give all sorts of background information about players, their actions, the way they react. Of course, this knowledge can be implemented all the better Day 2 and later, but Day 1 is by no means futile, if you are insinuating it is.

On Bored:
By implying everybody should be voting, it seems to indicate you want somebody lynched.
An interesting post. Where does NESGamer imply everybody should be voting?
Your vote (which you place a little later on in the same post) looks like it is based (at least partly) on NESgamers indication he's desperate for a lynch. I don't really see this desperation. All I see is a paranoid NES who is most probably some kind of power role, and has become entirely oversensitive due having this role.

Even if you are as you claim, one deceased townie (which I pray you are not, because it would hurt the town) would not necessarily mean the end of the game for all of us.
One should attempt to completely exclude the chance of NES being a townie before voting for him, no? You seem not entirely sure with your vote on NES. Is this the case?

Looking on the history of mafia can lead to resolving the problems in the future.

Indeed. Looking at the general game behaviour all the players display, in an effort to promote better ways of playing, such as openness and conversation rather than lynching randomly and relying on night powers is very wise.
However, one cannot come to a conclusion on a specific player based on, for example, one's change in behaviour from one game to the next.
I see now that your argument was based on NESGamer's lie (which I may talk about later) rather than on his past roles.

As a general note to everybody, I would like to encourage you to ask before voting. One can understand a lot about one's opinions and stances by asking. Furthermore, a question doesn't necessarily have to have good motives! A question could be aimed at a suspect to try and make them contradict themselves or a potential mafia to force them into making mistakes. The most basic question in mafia, from which nearly all other questions stem is: "What do you think about this?".
Νίψον ἀνομήματα μὴ μόναν ὄψιν

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2009, 13:05:59 »
I would like to unvote, please. :/
grao!

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2009, 13:29:01 »
Quote from: Lunar
Well. Behaviour in the thread, stumbles a mafia makes, jumping on bandwagons but never making a proper case against suspects... all these things could help weed out a mafia player during the first day.

The problem here is that townies are doing the same thing. Look at the current NES wagon.

It really does help the town if you add an explanation when you vote (preferably something more substantional than "I agree with X").

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2009, 14:50:11 »
So Lunar, who do you think is the most likely to be mafia?
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Lunar_Tick

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2009, 16:32:11 »
So Lunar, who do you think is the most likely to be mafia?
I'd be defying my own laws of mediocrity by voting, but I will say that if I were pushed (with hot iron forks) to vote I would be 35% happy with my vote being on the least inactive player, who in this case would be either Technogeek, Kasran or Salmoneous (I haven't checked yet so I couldn't say for sure).

I would be 10% happy with a Bored2death vote.

I feel that at this point lynching NESgamer is a gamble. I am almost certain that NESgamer is not a vanilla role (so he's either a seer, or a mafia, or a SK or something).
And if he is a vanilla role, he is seriously farking with our heads with this strange behaviour of his.

'Tis early days yet Razzor.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2009, 18:37:21 »
I'll unvote as well, unless I see further cause to pursue voting.

Thanks for helping me see the error of my ways... though, it seems a little rash to point the FOS at the least active members. Last time we tried that, it turned out to be the investigator. Just because they aren't entering the voting stage yet doesn't mean they are mafia. Waiting for evidence can be good, something I kind of rushed a little :oops:. However, note NESgamer's claim (which he made after 2 votes)... he claims he is  a townie, which doesn't fit in with where you tried to place him. So, either you're wrong, and he is a vanilla, or you're right, and he is lying to us. I shall wait now to see if I can make a better vote. Also, for all we know, you could be specifically defending him for a reason........... now, it could be an innocent reason, or one that could potentially harm the town. We shall wait and see.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 19:16:05 by Bored2death »

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2009, 21:29:11 »
I voted for NESGamer because so far, he seems the most suspicious.  All of this arguing back-and-forth and general confusion may be what he wants if he is a mafia member.  However, if he is a townie, it it all pointless to do so as of yet.  By arguing about why not to vote him in the way that he is, he is only drawing suspicion to himself.  Again, it makes the most sense to me if he is mafia.
I still have my vote on NESGamer.

Another thing I would like to mention is that I only check the forum once a day or so, so voting me based on activity seems totally pointless to me because others could be in a similar situation.
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2009, 21:45:45 »
Well, I'm not going to lynch him without more reasons, though he has my FOS.

Offline Lunar_Tick

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2009, 11:14:25 »
On Techno:
I voted for NESGamer because so far, he seems the most suspicious.
It makes sense to me that investigators act suspiciously, as do doctors and generally all non vanilla town roles are likely to act suspiciously. All I am pointing out is that while there's something going on with NESgamer, his roleclaim being the culmination of this suspicious behaviour, this said behaviour by no means necessarily equates to scummyness.

Again, it makes the most sense to me if he is mafia.
Could you elaborate on this? I'd like to know, other than the things you have already posted, what makes you think this.

Another thing I would like to mention is that I only check the forum once a day or so, so voting me based on activity seems totally pointless to me because others could be in a similar situation.
It is by no means pointless. In a (very unreal) situation where one has to choose between an inactive person and an active person, it makes complete sense to vote out the inactive person, as he is the least beneficial to the town. Of course, this theoretical situation shouldn't be applied, but it definitely isn't pointless to (given no other path of action) place one's vote due to a player's activity, or lack thereof.

On Bored:
I'll unvote as well, unless I see further cause to pursue voting.
Your open-mindedness and non-stubbornness impresses me. As producing flattery escapes me, I shall only say that you smell pro-town. Only if I wanted to throw you in the most scummiest of lights would I accuse you being scummy due to the boustrophedon turn of your opinions.
But I am forced to do this for the sake of the town, so I ask: Your speed to drop your vote can be explained with the following scenarios: a ) either you were never sure of your vote in the first place in which case one may accuse you of hasty, rash voting and of wanting a lynch too much, b ) you dropped your vote because you smelled an upstart townie get in your way and are doing your best to look pro-town, in which case one can accuse you of being a town-pretending scum, or c ). Find c. :P

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2009, 17:02:59 »
I dropped it because, after all, it is the first day, and we have no hard evidence, other than one past lie. It is obvious that NES has some kind of power role, but we don't know what kind yet. This is my first time playing, but I can understand if NES has a power role and wants to stay alive, that's fine, as long as it benefits the town. If evidence shows up to the contrary, then I will vote for him. Right now, all he has is my FOS. People get way to suspicious on this game, and they don't trust the others (the whole point of the game). The only way for the town to win is if we can learn to trust each other enough to locate the mafia and sk and get them out of here. If none of us trust each other, we'll all just randomly point fingers, and it's possible the investigator, doctor, or another townie may get lynched because of it. However, I do not believe that NES is the investigator, he's to active to be that. The investigator is probably waiting till nightfall to ask about someone like NES, or one of the other suspicious members. Right now, I'd say that the investigator is either Technogeek, Kasran, or Salmoneous, and the others may or may not be anti-town roles. However, note that it would be more beneficial to a mafia member, I think, if they could be actively lynching people as well, so I don't think any of them are mafia. Anyway, the first day is made of hasty, rash votes, which I participated in for a bit, but lynching someone without enough evidence will get us nowhere, almost certainly, and NES was almost actually lynched. After reconsidering his case, I decided to unvote. I hold no grudges nor unfair votes, but if NES should continue to act suspicious, then I shall be forced to vote for him, in order to protect the town. If only night came and the investigator could investigate him... of course, then again, we don't know who the investigator is, so we don't know who to trust. I hope this is a satisfactory explanation of my quick change. Scum life is not the life for me.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2009, 17:20:50 »
I unvote, for some pretty obvious reasons.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2009, 19:36:40 »
Mod, could you put the vote count in your first post? Thanks, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, wanted to ask if the investigator would, if they found the mafia, reveal themselves to the public to let us know. Hopefully, no one will make false claims, however. I have nothing more to add right now, and have found no new evidence about any suspicious actions. I'm wondering when day 1 will end, however... i fear the night!

Offline NESgamer190

• X-com's nightmare: Chryssalid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2009, 21:03:28 »
@bored2death's post on 16:02:59:
Well, I can safely say that investigator theory is plausible.  As for voting, I might as well unvote if what the post at the time was proves true.  It's just a theory, but better than savagery in my view, which almost led to my death.  I'm simply glad to see that logic has come through to the people, and for that, I am going to be grateful for.
Unretired.
http://nesgamer7190.deviantart.com/ (My DeviantArt Account.  Behold my not too good artistics.)
  (Mafia 9 pie maniac)

I really have nothing going for me for creative signatures.

Offline Lunar_Tick

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2009, 21:43:45 »
On NES
NESGamer, you haven't left my scrutiny, and I daresay the town's as well. You still have to explain your erratic and positively untownlike actions. Avoiding to do so even after you have 'gotten away with it' hints more to uncaring and indifferent scum rather than open and talkative seer or baner. I'd also like to know who you view as scum.

On Razzor
I unvote, for some pretty obvious reasons.
Are we to take it that you agree completely with Bored's statement?
It is not helpful to the town to leave such matters unexplained Razzor, please elaborate.

On the Town:
It's been one and a half days with the conversation between me, bored and NES.
It would be very interesting to hear the town's opinions on NES' actions before and after his near lynch experience, Bored's sudden change of heart and the theory that at the moment were better off just lynching the least active.