Another Night Game Trailer

• 20 Replies

Offline chipset

• View Profile
Another Night Game Trailer
« on: June 02, 2009, 22:25:54 »
http://nicalis.com/blog/2009/06/02/night-game-e3-trailer/
Now that I think about it, it looks like Nicalis is part of something bigger... hm.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 22:53:50 by chipset »
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: Night Game E3 Trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 22:53:50 »
Nice trailer! I don't think it looks like they're a part of something bigger. They are just getting their marketing done. xD

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Another Night Game Trailer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 00:37:34 »
I don't think necessarily bigger, just more well-connected.

Concerning the trailer, I'm unnerved that there's a big focus at the end on the word "NICALIS", but no credit at all for Nifflas. (I mean, even just something like "A Nifflas game, presented by Nicalis".)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 00:39:55 by googoogjoob »
good bye

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:35:26 »
Agreed.
Lurk more.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 02:16:21 »
I dunno, when did you last see a company write the director's name every single time the game was shown? I don't see why Tyrone should be obligated to do something that nobody else really does, and I am getting more than enough credits for my work. Besides, these are only preview videos. When we demonstrated the game on GDC, the "A Nicklas Nygren game" text showed up pretty much as soon as the game was launched. I don't feel that Tyrone is trying to hide that I created it just because he doesn't spam it in every video we do.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 03:55:54 »
Nifflas is still making the game, though. It's not like the other people are contributing much to anything but publicity.
Lurk more.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 04:02:14 »
I dunno, when did you last see a company write the director's name every single time the game was shown?

Like every game involving Sid Meier.

It isn't so much the fact that there's no up-front credit that's unnerving, it's that someone who sees a trailer like this with no prior knowledge of the game is going to mentally credit the game entirely to this company called Nicalis. They aren't going to see the name Nifflas and then get interested in Nifflas's stuff and become a fan- they're going to be a (casual) fan of Nicalis.

And then, I can't find anything on the official Nicalis website that directly links Nifflas to Night Game. The main site has a little blurb about Night Game (still saying platform unannounced) that doesn't give any names. There's a little "About Nicalis" dealy with blurbs about Tyrone and Nifflas, but Nifflas's blurb doesn't once use the name Nifflas.

The blog is extremely Cave Story-oriented above being NG-oriented, so there's nothing there to indicate much either. There's not even a link to Nifflas's site in the little sidebar of links.

I mean, it's not like there's an aggressive campaign on the part of Nicalis to purge Nifflas's name from everything, but it's the little passive things like this that draw attention to Nicalis without drawing attention to Nifflas.
good bye

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:09:36 »
I
Can't
Wait
To
Play
Night
Game
 :crazy:
 :nuts:

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 17:37:53 »
Agreed... I want it! Now! :crazy:
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:27:47 »
Probably run into a void type thing at the end if you played it now or something.
Lurk more.

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:56:57 »
Probably run into a void type thing at the end if you played it now or something.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 20:13:24 »

XD

But all voids come to an end... and even the void has a ruler...
So the real question is... what is beyond the void?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 01:53:15 »
also... :/ :S

Quote from tyrone on June 7, 2009, 14:32
Zarro, Cub, everyone else, here's one thing I can promise you--be certain that we do check the forums daily and read pretty much everything. First and foremost, I'm a fan of Cave Story and that's why I value the feedback from the community

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 03:02:59 »
You'd think, even if Tyrone didn't want to give out the real reason, he could at least make something up.

Quote from tyrone on June 7, 2009, 14:32
Zarro, Cub, everyone else, here's one thing I can promise you--be certain that we do check the forums daily and read pretty much everything. First and foremost, I'm a fan of Cave Story and that's why I value the feedback from the community

This reads like generic, empty PR noise. Like when a machine tells you "we value your call" over the phone when you've been on hold for twenty minutes.

But really, it's getting frustrating not to have any answer as to why NG is Wii-exclusive. Nifflas can't give an answer; apparently only Tyrone Rodriguez has the authority to explain the reason. But then, Tyrone goes and blatantly dodges/ignores questions relating to the reason. First in that interview, and now he's ignored the question for nearly two weeks when it's practically sitting on his doorstep.

What could the reason be that it can't be told? Is it illegal? If chipset's right, and Nicalis is actually a subsidary of Nintendo, then it might be illegal: to quote this definition of collusion, "Collusion occurs when two persons or representatives of an entity or organization make an agreement to deceive or mislead another. Such agreements are usually secretive, and involve... gaining an unfair advantage over... others with whom they are negotiating. The collusion, therefore, makes the bargaining process inherently unfair. Collusion can involve... misrepresenting the independence of the relationship betweeen the colluding parties." (Ellipses mine, to emphasize the relevant portions.)

That is, if Nintendo is using Nicalis as an apparently independent organization in order to get contracts with indie developers who would not otherwise sign contracts with Nintendo, that'd probably be collusion- and thus illegal.
good bye

Offline Squeegy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 16:50:23 »
practically sitting on his doorstep.
That's it! I'm off to go sit on Tyrone Rodriguez's doorstep and demand answers. Bye guys!

Invisible blocks are for sissies! Use natural formations dammit!