If a tileset doesn't work, an I allowed to fix it?

• 7 Replies

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
If a tileset doesn't work, an I allowed to fix it?
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:16:06 »
I want to use a tileset I found, but it has transparent tiles. I just want to put something in the tile that is transparent, but I know you can't change tilesets without permission. I think, however, that an exception should be made for fixing tilesets that simply don't work. I can't see how the tileset author would have a problem with it, but is it allowed?

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: If a tileset doesn't work, an I allowed to fix it?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:49 »
If it were me, and if the tileset had a bug that made it look bad, and if it were part of the tilesets that came with Knytt Stories, I would do it. But if I wanted to actually change something or if it wasn't part of the original 255 (or 256, if you count Tileset 0), I wouldn't.

But hey, that's just me.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:22:00 »
The best thing to do would be to ask the author. Even though it doesn't work, you should ask. I know that it can be a pain, but if you do this, you won't even have to worry about whether you can or cannot, you will know for sure.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:08:49 »
I don't know if contacting the author would be possible. The tileset is "monochromatic grasslands" by Foozdude, and later versions that fix the problem are available, but they have a ground pattern that I don't like. It would be ridiculous if it's not allowed to fix an inoperable tileset. I'm sure any author would rather have someone fix their work and use it than not use it at all.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:02:35 »
I understand the feeling... I can't encourage you to go for it, but I definitely agree that any glitches should be fixed, and would be approved by the author, but... wait, where did you get the tileset from in the first place??? Didn't you ask for permission then???
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:05:59 »
wait, where did you get the tileset from in the first place??? Didn't you ask for permission then???
It was on the old forum. You don't need to ask permission to use things from the public tilesets board there.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:28:25 »
You may fix this, because technically, there's no data in the cells, so they're not part of the tileset as the author intended.

If you only modify those transparant cells that are causing the tileset problem, you're allowed.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 18:02:38 »
Great. I don't even intend to use what I put in the empty tiles, I just wrote "LOL" there. X)

Check out my tilesets!