Attempt at drawing anime

• 75 Replies

Offline Didriking

• The King of Umbrellas
    • View Profile
Re: Attempt at drawing anime
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2009, 19:25:10 »
Hmm. Rudeness. It seems even here it cannot be avoided

Anyway, you bring up a lot of valid points, Hempuli. Why do so many call their art style Manga? And for that matter, what exactly is Manga? In Japan, it simply means comic, or something along those lines. Even Donald Duck is considered Manga there.
In the west, however, Manga is associated with the art style that we see in comics or cartoons originally from Japan. Sadly, we also take that to mean big eyes, no nose and really, really spiky hair, even though that's does not all properly describe many of the works within the term Manga.
Truth is, the western term manga applies to a very broad scene of sub-styles, so to speak. It's like how two bands can be labelled under the same musical genre, yet still sound vastly different.
And then there's personal thoughts on the matter. I, for one, do not consider this latest piece of mine ( :P ) manga, even though I do consider most of my work fitting under that category. I do however figure, that some people would think of it as manga, even if I don't.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, so what if some people draw so called "manga"? Maybe that is their personal style. As long as they enjoy doing it, and are not obviously ripping off someone else work, there's no harm done.
-place holder-