Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
Re: Attempt at drawing anime
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 17:33:16 »
Any who can guess what inspired this one?  :huh:

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 02:28:58 »
That doesn't really look like manga style at all.
Lurk more.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 04:09:02 »
The hair must be pulled by gravity..

Nah, it kinda looks like manga-style but but but....  :ohnoes:...they eyes....

And I guess gorfinhofin did
                    (kitty^)

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 04:27:00 »
And I guess gorfinhofin did
Wait, what? What did I do? :huh:

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 04:35:57 »
Final fantasy, though I'm not sure which one. I'm not a big fan of RPGs.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 07:52:46 »
As said before, you have talent, but color, detail, and maybe a zoomed out portrait would make this look awesome. Perhaps you could even add a subtle background, to give it more character.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 12:45:49 »

Ok, If you fixed the eyes, took out the nose and made their mouths heaps smaller then this would look really proffesional  C)p

Offline LightningEagle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 14:35:11 »
...  :huh:
You know, I'm not sure I get your definition of manga style.
In Japan manga would be anything related to comics, what-so-ever. Even Donald Duck.
In the west we tend to define manga as any comic from Japan.
Defining it like that would mean that if a drawing somehow resembles any Japanese comic, it would be manga style.
The sense of what is manga style would hugely depend on which series a person has read and what style of artwork he/she fancies.

Final fantasy, though I'm not sure which one. I'm not a big fan of RPGs.
Nope.. but RPG-related, yes

Ok, If you fixed the eyes, took out the nose and made their mouths heaps smaller then this would look really proffesional  C)p
Ehh.. taking out the noses? You've never read Naruto? They've got noses, really.  :/

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 23:57:45 »
...  :huh:
You know, I'm not sure I get your definition of manga style.
In Japan manga would be anything related to comics, what-so-ever. Even Donald Duck.
In the west we tend to define manga as any comic from Japan.
Defining it like that would mean that if a drawing somehow resembles any Japanese comic, it would be manga style.
The sense of what is manga style would hugely depend on which series a person has read and what style of artwork he/she fancies.
Majority of manga series have similar techniques.
Lurk more.

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • Esper - A webcomic based on Espernet
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 05:51:09 »
And the key word here is majority. Just because it doesn't particularly seem to be stylized towards the mainstream, stereotyped kind of 'manga,' doesn't mean that it can't be called manga in itself. 'Manga' is just the Japanese word for 'comics,' and there is nothing in any definition that specifies how an image must look to be considered manga. It's up to the artist to decide that for themselves.

I really don't think we should be arguing about this. It's supposed to be a thread for discussion about Evil's piece (as well as comments on others, if they are posted, I guess. But Evil started the thread)

Evil, yours looks pretty good (the eye perspective especially). The only things that bug me are the lineart's random thickness (if you're drawing with a mouse or mouse pad, try using the pen tool for lineart, it works really well), and the width of the neck. If you're trying for an anime style, they generally tend to have small necks. Also, work on the hair physics - the bangs are going right while the rest of her hair is pointed towards the right. Oh, and if you have illustrator, you can get brush sets from deviantArt and other sites that will be thicker in the middle, like an actual stroke, without needing a tablet of some sort.

I'd also suggest looking at the various tutorials on deviantArt as well as people's various images. That can help to get body structure correct, which I tend to have some trouble with. I also have a relatively small imagination for character design, but I'm trying to open up from that particular problem. :P

Of course, you should work on detail, coloring, and shading as well.

LightningEagle, I like yours a lot; there's nothing I can pick out that I really don't like about it. The mood shows that there's a good deal of plot behind the image; is it based on something from Square Enix, maybe?
- Nifflas
:hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: - Chironex
:hiddenstar: - The Old Nifflas' Forum Community for my userbars
:hiddenstar: - Halflight
:hiddenstar: - BloxMaster
:hiddenstar: - Aquatic Liger

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 06:00:25 »
I really don't think we should be arguing about this. It's supposed to be a thread for discussion about Evil's piece (as well as comments on others, if they are posted, I guess. But Evil started the thread)
Didriking started it. <_<
Lurk more.

Offline LightningEagle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 22:22:35 »
And the key word here is majority. Just because it doesn't particularly seem to be stylized towards the mainstream, stereotyped kind of 'manga,' doesn't mean that it can't be called manga in itself. 'Manga' is just the Japanese word for 'comics,' and there is nothing in any definition that specifies how an image must look to be considered manga. It's up to the artist to decide that for themselves.
Couldn't have said it better myself  C)
LightningEagle, I like yours a lot; there's nothing I can pick out that I really don't like about it. The mood shows that there's a good deal of plot behind the image; is it based on something from Square Enix, maybe?
thanks, :) ...sorry, no Square involved either.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 12:46:11 »
Didriking started it. <_<

You sounded soo adorable!  XD

*cough*child*cough*

Offline LightningEagle

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 23:01:28 »
Hmm.. since no one guessed it I might as well enlighten you...

Any who can guess what inspired this one?  :huh:

My drawing draws inspiration from... *don't kill me now* Maplestory...

We got several things pointing in that direction which people who know MS might recognize:
  • Front character's cloth resembles the lvl30 warrior overall
  • His sword is a lvl70 two-hand sword
  • His cape should resemble lvl25 cape old raggedy cape or something
  • To the left behind him: We got a character wearing the Zakuum helmet
  • Same character is equipped with an Omega Spear
  • Left of him is a hermit with an Ilbi shuriken
  • To the right of the front character: A bandit with some high-level dagger equipped and wearing a lvl60(?) top
  • I think he might wear a thief-class specific shield on his right arm, but I can't remember
  • Likewise the character right of the bandit might be equipped with a lvl50 two-hand sword Lion's Fang, but I don't remember that clearly either
  • His top might resemble some warrior top too, but that's long forgotten.
  • Behind him we have some Fire Mage character wearing a lvl30 or 40(?) hat, I think it was.
  • Additionally the area in which the group is gathered would probably be around Perion and possibly they're about to enter the Guild Quest area

Might be more, but I can't remember anymore of it...  X-P

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Zakuum-helmet-wearing-guy's eyes are a kind of eyes you can buy for your character through Cash Shop
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 23:03:18 by LightningEagle »

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 23:04:30 »
 :shocked: Wow, that's specific. And long.

Check out my tilesets!