• 75 Replies

Offline Evil

• View Profile
Attempt at drawing anime
« on: May 31, 2009, 03:06:05 »
Hope it isnt that bad.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Attempt at drawing anime
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 03:26:20 »
That's amazing! :o But the arms look too muscular for the face and neck. :/
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 03:43:29 »
Its just not colored.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:02:09 »
Someting you may want to know about differences in gender for anime drawing. (I draw some anime, too. :D)
  • The male's lower half of the face (nose and below) is a little longer than the female's. (But you got that down. :))
  • The male's chin is more defined than the female's. (also got that down.)
  • The male's neck is generally thicker than the female's.
  • The male's shoulders are more horizontal, while the female's is kinda steeper, like a carrot (one of these: ^), but not that steep.
  • The male's muscles are usually more defined, but not always. It mostly depends on the character.
  • The female's fingers are generally longer compared to the palm of the hand, but the men's hands are generally bigger.
  • The female's figure is more hourglass shaped, while the male's is rectangular.
I may have missed some, but I think I covered them all. Most of this is by experience. :)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 05:59:56 »
The chin....
Spoiler: chinny (click to show/hide)

I can't really do details since I'm using the mouse pad.  :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:01:49 by Evil »

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 06:54:30 »
Anime people don't have square heads  XD
Good job btw

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:37:53 »
Looks good. My friend's also trying to get me into drawing anime. I hate to mention it, but I went and watched 2 striaght hours of anime after seeing this.
Lurk more.

Offline Didriking

• The King of Umbrellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 12:37:10 »
What annoys me about this topic?

The fact that everyone keeps calling it anime, when anime is in fact ANIMATED.
What you're drawing is manga, and since manga actually means "comic" in Japanese, it's not even that. It's more like what many mangas generally look like. But believe me, there is a lot of manga that doesn't look like this at all.

However, manga is a generally accepted term for this "style", so I guess you should call it that. Just please learn to separate manga and anime.
-place holder-

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 12:56:57 »
Good drawings :)

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 21:01:18 »

What you're drawing is manga, and since manga actually means "comic" in Japanese, it's not even that. It's more like what many mangas generally look like. But believe me, there is a lot of manga that doesn't look like this at all.

However, manga is a generally accepted term for this "style", so I guess you should call it that. Just please learn to separate manga and anime.
Manga and anime both have the same characters. Just one is animated and the other isn't. This is essetially just a character. If you want to call it either, there would have to be more than just a drawing. So technically, it's neither; it's a drawing of an anime, manga character.
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 09:49:05 »
No. If it's a drawing of a manga/anime character, the character has to exist and be featured in a manga/anime show.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 01:27:42 »
Unless you invent a character. Anyway. Just call it an anime/manga style drawing.
Lurk more.

Offline Soron

• :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 14:30:57 »
Evil, put a little more work into it  :P
I think the first one could look really good if you added more details and colour, right now it looks like a vector.

Yaaaah!!

▲
▲ ▲

Offline Didriking

• The King of Umbrellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 16:52:57 »

Manga and anime both have the same characters. Just one is animated and the other isn't. This is essentially just a character. If you want to call it either, there would have to be more than just a drawing. So technically, it's neither; it's a drawing of an anime, manga character.
No. There are mangas without animes and vice versa. The one isn't always based on the other. If it's the style you're talking about, then as I've said before, style varies at least as much in anime as it does in western animation.
Also, for something to be qualified as anime it HAS to be animated, 'cuz that's what anime is all about. One could, for the same reason, argue that for something to be called Manga, it would have to be a comic. They would be right. However, for the sake of simplicity, manga is an accepted term for this style. If it wasn't we'd have to say, "I drew this picture in a style that resembles the style seen in many Japanese comics" instead of just saying "I drew me some manga".
-place holder-

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 17:00:38 »
However, for the sake of simplicity, manga is an accepted term for this style.
Ok. Let's leave it at that. Though technically it's not either.
Lurk more.