Why, thank you, and you're welcome.

Good luck with it!

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: Specific warp / flag question
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 18:57:57 »
@LP, yes, the save thing was my first hurdle X-P. Luckily there are a few posts about cutscene problems I was able to check.

@uther, I think that's pretty close to what I'm trying to do.

The only difference is, the cutscene shift works fine (it drops me in the target room like it should)
The diagram sort-of thing there is almost just what I'm trying to do. In more detail it's like this

[ 1 ] - [ 2 ]  =room 1 is the shift/scene room, 2 is just the entrance to it and contains the flagged warp

[empty] - [ 3 ] = room 3 is a copy of room 2 w/o the shift, this is simply so the cutscene and save are not repeatable. It also contains a normal, i.e. non-flagged warp back to room 2.

So the real thing is, I haven't even tested the flag warp, because I can't reach that room (2) with a flag activated. The normal warp from room 3 will work only when I start there, not when I have used the shift/cutscene to get there. So, if that's not even more confusing, congratulations! you deserve a medal for ultra-comprehension!  :hiddenstar: Seriously, thanks for attempting to ungarble this mess. I'm gonna see what I can do with it, and then just move on to finishing up some other parts of the level. Thanks guys!

You say the normal Warp in room 3 leads to room 2,and you also say room 2 contains a Flag Warp. So let's say we're in room 3 and we take the Warp (in whatever direction it is) from room 3 to room 2: if the Flag the Warp in room 2 depends on is off, we should end up in room 2; if the Flag is on, then we should end up in whatever room the Flag Warp in room 2 leads to. Is this what happens? If not, could you please clarify this?
  • If there's a shift in room 1, and a Flag Warp in room 2, what do you mean when you say 'room 3 is a copy of room 2 w/o the shift'? Room 2 should have the Flag Warp, not the Shift
  • If room 2 does have a Shift, where does it lead to?

Alternatively, if you could describe what you do when playing normally (like utherdoul did with Warp Right, Flag Warp etc.) it would help; if the issue is just making a non-repeatable cutscene, I think there was a guide for that, but I don't remember where.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline AhhCobras

• We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 02:24:47 »
Maybe I'm just not using the warp correctly? I looked at a couple other levels, and was pretty sure this is how it works. But is this correct:
-A flag warp will only activate if the flag is set, otherwise the room scrolls regularly
-only the direction you want to warp from will matter, in other words, say the room has exits on top, left and right. The warp should activate for the right exit, so you don't have to set anything for the up, and left warps.

Regarding AA's post:
I tried to set the numbers the way the map is actually laid out. So rooms 1 and 2 are next to each other, room 3 is right under 2, and under 1 is another part of the map. You would enter originally from 2 and proceed to 1 (the flag warp in 2 should not yet be active), once activating the shift you end up in 3. 3 is the same room as 2, just the shift tile is removed this way if you try to activate the cutscene again, nothing will happen. Upon leaving 3, you should shift upwards to 2, now with a flag active. If you so choose to move from 2 to 1, the warp should send you down to 3 ( so the shift tile cannot be activated again) and the warp from 3 should send you back up to 2, essentially cutting 1 out entirely. So, you should play like this;
[1] - [2]   
[e] - [3]
 *enter [2], walk left to [1]*  *activate cutscene [1] and shift to [3]*  *from [3] warp right Y-1 (normal) [2]* *from [2] either, shift out normally through door, or warp left Y+1 (flagged)* Then 2 and 3 should be connected as if they were 1 and 2.

Simply start at the beginning, go on till you reach the end.... then stop.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 12:07:31 »
I think the problem lies in the way Flag Warps work: unlike normal Warps, which are triggered when you leave the room, Flag Warps are triggered when you enter the room (from any direction). So the Flag Warp should probably be in room 1; although there could be other ways you could arrange things, depending on the other elements, like the Shift door you mention in room 2.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline AhhCobras

• We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 14:58:57 »
That I did not know, still it's the unflagged warp that's giving me trouble. In any case I just went ahead and made a copy of the room 2 and stuck it next to 3. If I can figure it out in the future I might come back and mess around with it a little, but apparently they just don't like me.  :sad:
But it's not worth  obsessing over, I've got lots more of this level to put together. Thanks for all the help though  :^^:

Simply start at the beginning, go on till you reach the end.... then stop.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 16:06:18 »
I can think of 3 possible problems:
Flag warps work when you enter the room.
Flags activate on shifts
Flag warps don't warp on a shift.

I still don't understand the problem, btw.
Lurk more.