[V1.0a] Knytt Stories DS

• 235 Replies

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Knytt Stories DS
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2010, 17:16:07 »
Wouldn't it be kinda pointless for them to make their own DSi port when there's already a perfectly good one by you? Perhaps they'd license your code!
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2010, 23:05:19 »
Wouldn't it be kinda pointless for them to make their own DSi port when there's already a perfectly good one by you? Perhaps they'd license your code!

I doubt it (licensing the code), mainly because my code is done for a combination of homebrew libraries (PAlib, libnds), the code itself not very friendly (even if there is a clear separation of subsystems), and although I tried my best to make it as portable as possible (precisely to allow ports to other machines), there are tons of small quirks that must be solved. Anyway, from the very beginning I thought on opening the source (I actually was thinking of releasing in a couple of days the source code of the beta @ google code), so they would have the code and a small "postmortem" document explaining some things about it and my design decisions. The license of the source code is the BSD license, so the only thing I would ask to nifflas & co. if they reuse part of the code is to credit me & my bro on the commercial version  :) .

PS: Actually (*hint, hint*), if the DSiWare takes advantage of all the HW capabilities of the DSi (double CPU speed, four times more memory than the DS), most of the problems you can find on the DS version (lack of memory to store sprites in very complex screens, loading times, speed problems when updating the HW sprites) would be solved or greatly improved  X-P .

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2010, 12:31:59 »
Talking about sources, the source code of the KSDS beta is now available  :)

« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2010, 04:55:49 »
Yeah the climbing doesn't feel quite as intuitive as the PC version.

This.

Now, don't get me wrong, this whole thing is brilliant, brilliant work.  So, major props for even getting this thing running as well as it is.  Kudos to you!

But, I have to say, the whole climbing thing just kills it.

First off, like said earlier, the fact that you can't hit left or right a split second before a wall jump really screws with you if you're used to Knytt Stories on the PC.  Secondly, you can't hold right or left towards a wall, and hold up at the same time to climb.  You have to be ONLY pressing up to climb, which is very irritating.  Also, the most annoying aspect I've come across is the fact that you cannot "jump-climb" up walls.  When I attempt it in KSDS, Juni simply doesn't get anywhere, and it just looks glitchy and unpleasant.  When I play Knytt Stories, I rarely climb normally, unless I have to, and get a certain thrill from "jump-climbing."  The fact that KSDS limits my ability to do so, and limits my mobility when scaling walls of any kind, depresses me.  In my honest opinion, the fact that the climbing(movement up/down walls) is so "off" from the original and almost broken in general is a game-breaking problem.

However, I could just be full of it.  Everyone else seems to be enjoying it.  Alas, I can't really find any enjoyment playing this, even if it is portable. :\

Good work though, it's a great WIP, and this is just my honest opinion.

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2010, 07:08:35 »
The climbing doesn't ruin it for me.
you get used to it.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2010, 12:12:16 »
But, I have to say, the whole climbing thing just kills it.

This is what betas are for: To collect the issues of users and to fix them  :) . Your worries have been heard, and they have been stored.

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2010, 06:45:46 »
Thanks.  I feel that if this problem (or at least, I feel it is a problem) is corrected, that the smooth game play flow of the original Knytt Stories will succesfully be recreated on the DS.  Combine this with some general improvements and polish, and I can see an amazing port come to life.  Keep at it!

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2010, 09:11:17 »
Idea time!

maybe in the settings you could have a setting for "touch screen moving" which makes instead of l,r up,down to move the camera, you can touch and slide?
may be a good idea because sometimes it gets a bit annoying
im not sure if it is possible,so....

Offline Firewall

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2010, 17:29:32 »
Omg.......im impressed....just amazed! I never thought this was possible!

Also, if theres a Level Editor (Level maker) making too many levels may get get cloged in the saved file on the DS chip. Let the player/owner of the DS have 20 or less levels. Have level editing on a computer then upload instead  :sigh:

Geting levels will need Wi-Fi connection. Ones that lead to Level page (Unable to find right now :/) where the client can pick and download a level. For downloading we click and see a windows default download screen. The chip shall have its own knytt window to download.

Sence downloading may contain viruses (Just incase a player infected a file :sigh:) the download page should scan a level in the holding tank (A place levels go before release) to be scaned. We dont want a DS to get a virus! ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 17:33:08 by Firewall »
_  _   Stars Earned: :hiddenstar:
O O

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2010, 18:26:21 »
Idea time!

Done!

Geting levels will need Wi-Fi connection.

Sorry, I know this is *the* thing KSDS needs, but I will not implement it. Still, lots of thanks for your comments :)

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2010, 20:11:46 »
Thanks.  I feel that if this problem (or at least, I feel it is a problem) is corrected, that the smooth game play flow of the original Knytt Stories will succesfully be recreated on the DS.  Combine this with some general improvements and polish, and I can see an amazing port come to life.  Keep at it!

I implemented a first approach to allow Juni to jump-climb, please check THIS version with the TestNDS story of the beta.
(Also, this is just for testing the jumps, trying to play KSDS with this version = red JSOD  :P2 )

Offline Firewall

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2010, 21:23:59 »
If you could fit the Wi-Fi in, you could make KS Online which everyone has been craving for ;)
_  _   Stars Earned: :hiddenstar:
O O

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2010, 23:52:12 »
If you could fit the Wi-Fi in, you could make KS Online which everyone has been craving for ;)

I know, with the Wi-Fi in, you could have online play and LAN play (between DS's located in the same room). But that is one of the reasons for opening the source code: to leave that task to other people  X-P

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2010, 05:31:46 »
I implemented a first approach to allow Juni to jump-climb, please check THIS version with the TestNDS story of the beta.
(Also, this is just for testing the jumps, trying to play KSDS with this version = red JSOD  :P2 )

Hey, I gave this a try, and it's a big step in the right direction.  I don't have much time to write a detailed response, and I'll try to get back to you later.  But I will say two things:

1.) I would see about making that jump-climb jump a tiny tad higher.  It just feels a little short.

2.) Also, one of the things that makes the jump-climb a great asset to Knytt Stories is the fact that right after you jump, Juni begins to climb for a short while.  If you don't know what I mean, fire up Knytt Stories, and mess around with it for a while.  When you tap the jump button to jump-climb Juni climbs for a split second before sliding down again(as long as you are holding right).  If you hold the jump button after a jump to jump-climb, Juni climbs for extra time, and comes to a stop.  Play around in KS on the PC and see what I mean.  Maybe it would be possible to implement that.

Hmmm, post was more detailed than I thought it would be.  If anything doesn't make sense, let me know.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:40 »

Hey, I gave this a try, and it's a big step in the right direction.  I don't have much time to write a detailed response, and I'll try to get back to you later.  But I will say two things: [...]

I think I understand everything  :), I'll try my best. Thanks!