[V1.0a] Knytt Stories DS

• 235 Replies

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Knytt Stories DS
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 00:00:59 »
Interestingly enough, the first normal level I tried that actually worked (the rest crashed due to an apparent lack of world.ini, even when a world.ini was present) was Gaia. So I guess very large worlds aren't a problem at all.

Which are the levels that crashed?

Also, I did happen upon a small graphical anomaly, illustrated best with pictures:

Yup, I know about that one. It's a problem with the priorities of the sprites, and I hope to solve it sooner than later.

Besides that, the only off things I've noticed are just small things in Juni's movement and collision detection. She appears to hover one pixel above the ground, and hits walls while facing right several pixels before the actual wall. This can also be seen while climbing walls facing right. Left seems to be ok, but may be off, too. Also, jumping could use a smoother arc, but is functionally fine. There also appear to be a few pixels in the running, walking, and jumping animations that aren't the correct transparency color.

Oh, those ones... that's an heritage of when I started to work in the physics of the game. I'll leave that for the end, because I'm sure I'll get some headaches solving those bugs (sorry for being so lazy...)

Other than those small issues, this is shaping up to be absolutely FANTASTIC. It's really quite awesome how well Knytt Stories translates to the DS.

:oops:

The only other thing I'd suggest adding is making one of the buttons switch between the mini-map and world map on the top screen. Other than that, I'd say it's good.

Already though on that... but I need to see how the engine can deal automatically with maps that have flags / warpers / etc...

----------------------- :juni: :juni: :juni:  -----------------------

Stuff I noticed in the tutorial level:

Some are bugs (need to solve!), some are lazy coding (sorry!), and some are "I don't have the source + Multimedia Fusion 2 so the game cannot be 1:1". Thanks for pointing them out!

Bugs in other levels:

Be sure I'll check those bugs. Thanks!

Other stuff:
* Would be awesome if you could make the buttons in the menus react in some way when pressed or when moving the stylus over it
* I sure hope custom objects will be implemented at some point.

About reactive buttons...yup. About custom objects... wish me the best  :oops:

This is freaking awesome already XD

:oops:

----------------------- :juni: :juni: :juni: -----------------------

There are some things that could be better, but the fact of being able to play this on the DS is really nice. I dont know if the issues can or will be addressed anytime, but it would be great in order to enhace the playability. Some of them are: sound effects (you cant hear Juni walking or the sound that comes out when you wall on water) and the long time it takes to load from one scene to another (which fucks the whole game on games like skyflower where you need it to be fast).

Sound effects will be introduced. About slow map loading, I'll either a) add a cache in the flashcart or b) add an option that caches the tilesets (although it'll consume lot of DS memory).

I think the Item Bar on the top screen should have a dark background and the level name too, with a sans serif font, but that's on my own personal opinion. I know this is an alpha and im really glad Rodrigo made it this far.

:oops: ( XD this is the "blushing" post)

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 00:46:08 »
Quote from: rrc2soft
some are "I don't have the source + Multimedia Fusion 2 so the game cannot be 1:1".
hmm, not that I know anything about this, but the source is open (C)) by now and a "lot" of people here do have mmf2, so I wouldn't think it to be impossible to get someone to work with/help you concerning that part. Or something?
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 00:58:41 »
Quote from: rrc2soft
some are "I don't have the source + Multimedia Fusion 2 so the game cannot be 1:1".
hmm, not that I know anything about this, but the source is open (C)) by now and a "lot" of people here do have mmf2, so I wouldn't think it to be impossible to get someone to work with/help you concerning that part. Or something?

Sorry, I meant that I don't have MMF2  :oops:. Maybe, I'll ask for help in those critters whose behaviour is too complex / cryptic  ;). Thanks for the tip.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 11:40:28 »
There is a jump in Scarlet Tears that I can not make.  I'm sure it is because of the huge waterfall that I have in the screen taking up a good amount of resources, but, just letting you know :D
Teeeheee

Offline victor12

• AKA victory man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 16:12:03 »
omg must buy a DS or a DSi.
*victorY12 wants his nickname on the forums changed.
*victorY12 is not dead, he's still hanging out on IRC.
Spoiler: this forum's visitors (click to show/hide)
NOTE:If you see it, a new flag will appear
Ask me anything.

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 17:09:41 »
omg must buy a DS or a DSi.
You need to get a homebrew one, as mentioned before.

Weird I'm saying this, I can't afford an anythingDS XD
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline moleherd

• Wario rulezz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 12:03:27 »
HI how work goes on?

Offline Joozey

• It's a clockwork universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2009, 14:58:16 »
rcc2soft, any animation can be easily exported to individual bitmap images. Anyone with MMF2 can give you those.
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2009, 17:56:45 »
rcc2soft, any animation can be easily exported to individual bitmap images. Anyone with MMF2 can give you those.

Thanks for the tip, although nifflas already gave me all images from Knytt Stories  ;) (I have them all!!!!  C)p ) . The problem is to replicate factors such as speed, gravity, and so on  :) . I can deduce some of them just by playing and making tests, but others are a bit more complex.

Offline Joozey

• It's a clockwork universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2009, 20:18:32 »
Oh I see, that's neat :D.
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2009, 23:18:52 »
Okay, I tried to play The Storm's Coming on this, and it went fairly smoothly for a bit. But then I got to the lasers. Even if they were off they killed me. It says on the site that the lasers are supposed to be working properly. Is this a glitch specific to my level or something?

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2009, 23:29:15 »
Okay, I tried to play The Storm's Coming on this, and it went fairly smoothly for a bit. But then I got to the lasers. Even if they were off they killed me. It says on the site that the lasers are supposed to be working properly. Is this a glitch specific to my level or something?

Don't worry, it is not your level. There is a bug with the lasers. But I know where it is, and I'll fix it (once I come back from my "dear" work hell).

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2009, 10:42:52 »
This is Brilliant! <3 8)

i could play all the levels i wanted except for the great race because it ran out of ram in the cutscene :sick: that can be fixed by removing that cutsscene so no problem.
i just got a little annoyed at the glitched lasers.
also in knytt garden there is a screen that if you try to go to the game freezes. its the one next to the one with the cannon.

Great work!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2009, 11:24:34 »
This is Brilliant! <3 8)

i could play all the levels i wanted except for the great race because it ran out of ram in the cutscene :sick: that can be fixed by removing that cutsscene so no problem.
i just got a little annoyed at the glitched lasers.
also in knytt garden there is a screen that if you try to go to the game freezes. its the one next to the one with the cannon.

Great work!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

RAM is a problem?
Would it solve it to have the RAM module from the DS browser or would that require KSDS to be rewriten?

Also, how did you know the RAM was the problem? How was it indicated?

I'm curious since I've had a few crashes too.  :/

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2009, 12:35:27 »
it says something like

ksds internal error

unable to load (insert random numbers here)

please restart ds