[V1.0a] Knytt Stories DS

• 235 Replies

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Knytt Stories DS
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 16:35:11 »
I'm just about to do the same thing! C)p
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 02:56:08 »
Alpha version Released.

Why Alpha? It is not complete, although you can "play" with it as much as you want :-). 
BTW: If it doesn't work with your flashcart, please tell me ;-)

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 03:14:41 »
YESH!

Now time to find my flash cart...

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 14:03:51 »
Interestingly enough, the first normal level I tried that actually worked (the rest crashed due to an apparent lack of world.ini, even when a world.ini was present) was Gaia. So I guess very large worlds aren't a problem at all.

Of course, the place does seem to be a bit less populated than it should, though with not everything in yet, that makes sense.

Also, I did happen upon a small graphical anomaly, illustrated best with pictures:

Note how the top waterfall tiles overlap the text box. The bottom of the text box seems to usually be unaffected, but can be seen being partially overlapped if you jump, in certain situations. That is more easily visible with the Baffintown sign.

Besides that, the only off things I've noticed are just small things in Juni's movement and collision detection. She appears to hover one pixel above the ground, and hits walls while facing right several pixels before the actual wall. This can also be seen while climbing walls facing right. Left seems to be ok, but may be off, too. Also, jumping could use a smoother arc, but is functionally fine. There also appear to be a few pixels in the running, walking, and jumping animations that aren't the correct transparency color.

Other than those small issues, this is shaping up to be absolutely FANTASTIC. It's really quite awesome how well Knytt Stories translates to the DS.

The only other thing I'd suggest adding is making one of the buttons switch between the mini-map and world map on the top screen. Other than that, I'd say it's good.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 14:35:58 by betasword »

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 17:18:33 »
Holy crap alpha released. I need to get a flashcart.
grao!

Offline Olly

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 20:10:05 »
Oh, the topic's in development showcase aha, that's why I missed it. But yeah, thanks rrc2soft, this looks fantastic :).

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 21:41:32 »
Stuff I noticed in the tutorial level:
* High Jump seems to have Juni hover when reaching the highest point in the jump, also when hitting the ceiling.
* The savespots look kinda weird when activated
* When I climb I often tend to press the up arrow, the right or left arrow depending on the wall and the jump up at the same time.
  - This causes some very irritating shaking in the picture on the DS.
       - Maybe the screens reaction to Juni's movement could be delayed a bit?
  - In addition, jumping while climbing doesn't work all that well compared to the original game
* Noticed: In the tutorial, at the map where you learn to jump. When panning all the way to the right the pixels at the last step is stretched.
  - Scratch that! Though it is also true... deeper investigation reveals:
  - Actually it seems the pixels (vertically) which are approximately 13-15 pixels from the left edge of the screen seems to be stretched from 1 pixel to 2.
       - This becomes pretty obvious when looking at textured tiles.
* When jumping with the umbrella you can jump the same height as without. In the actual game you can't jump as high with umbrella open.
* Ghosts seem to move faster than in the original game. This isn't a problem, just something I noticed.
* Detector Glow has a pretty sharp edge
* You aren't transparent when using illusion, and it can't be activated by pressing down twice in a row
* The Illusion power-up isn't animated.
* Smoke behaves differently when dieing.
* Juni-icon isn't present on the mini-map when close to the left edge of the map.

Bugs in other levels:
* In Sinix's Island of Mimir:
* link: http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/Sinix%20-%20IslandofMimir010.knytt.bin
    - Had a crash when jumping down the cliff from one map to another, didn't happen second time I tried. I wonder.
        - Third time: Seems to happen when I slide down the broken bridge
        - Forth time: just jumped, crash happened when the maps should change. hmm...

* In Ace's Portal Concept (edited edition):
* link: http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/Ace%20-%20Portal%20Concept%20v1.1%20edit%20by%20LightningEagle.knytt.bin
    - Save setting for shifts: doesn't work
    - Shift on touch setting can be devastating when two shifts sends you back and forth...
        - this behaves nicely in the actual KS game

* In Nifflas' The Machine:
* link: not necessary
    - The fading brown color from Deafult Tileset 9 doesn't really fade that much. It does, but it's not very pretty :/

Other stuff:
* Would be awesome if you could make the buttons in the menus react in some way when pressed or when moving the stylus over it
* I sure hope custom objects will be implemented at some point.

This is freaking awesome already XD
Hope you can use all or some of this information in some way, if not: ignore it :O

Looking forward to the next release, this one has already blown my mind.
Ganbatte! :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 21:45:53 by LightningEagle »

Offline zztfox

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 00:15:27 »
How would one go about posting versions of pre-exsisting levels that have the cutscenes redone to fit on both screens on the DS?   

I ask this because I have started redoing all the cutscenes in GAIA for personal use, but would like to redistrubute to the community if there is a way.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 02:30:57 »
I wish I could find my Games'n'Music card (or, better yet, buy a better one) so I could play this... :sad:
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 08:25:41 »
i was expecting the release for a long time, and i found out about it on tinycartridge.com and downloaded it right away. i tried the tutorial and works great with my R4, no need to patch. Then I copied Sky Flower to my desktop, converted the music files (I already had Audicity since I use it regularly) and had to download this other software to convert the ambiance and everyhing worked.

There are some things that could be better, but the fact of being able to play this on the DS is really nice. I dont know if the issues can or will be addressed anytime, but it would be great in order to enhace the playability. Some of them are: sound effects (you cant hear Juni walking or the sound that comes out when you wall on water) and the long time it takes to load from one scene to another (which fucks the whole game on games like skyflower where you need it to be fast).

I posted two pictures taken with my mobile to twitter using the hashtag #KSDS.

I think the Item Bar on the top screen should have a dark background and the level name too, with a sans serif font, but that's on my own personal opinion. I know this is an alpha and im really glad Rodrigo made it this far.

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 08:31:57 »
How do I play this on my DS? I thought it was going to be sold in the shops?  :sad:

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 09:11:20 »
no!

KSDS Internal error

[Eo9]Not Found
Juni-0
U:17320/f:2487408

do you know whats wrong?
(acekard 2)

nvm, i forgot to read the readme
(needed to put it on the root)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:06:56 by smeagle »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 09:25:51 »
How do I play this on my DS? I thought it was going to be sold in the shops?  :sad:

How?
It is a homebrew game, you will be able to play PC levels almost directly (just need to convert music to mp3 and raw), and it will be free (and playable using homebrew devices).
good bye

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 14:59:25 »
How do I play this on my DS? I thought it was going to be sold in the shops?  :sad:
No, since it's homebrew you'll need a homebrew device for your DS (Wiki list of devices). There're many options but as far as I'm aware some of the best and most popular are CycloDS Evolution (have this one myself) or R4. KSDS works perfectly fine with the CycloDS Evo device and algarcia mentioned that this is the case for the R4 too.

And since it isn't sold in shops, it's like... free :)
Well, the devices aren't free but they're affordable and KSDS isn't the only neat homebrew up for download.

Some homebrew games out there:
KSDS, (naturally)
Warcraft Tower Defence,
LemmingsDS, (this is great, really :D)
Legion,
Natura no Story,
Take the Eggs,
Glubies Planet DS,
Brix DS,

( and my personal favorite: )
Lone Wolf DS
 - Flight from the Darkness
 - Fire on the Water

Other cool applications:
Moonshell,
Colors,
UAPaint,
Eigenmath,
ComicBookDS, (Works better than you might think)
ScummVM (yay for The Secret of Monkey Island)

Well, that's a few of the best I've encountered.
Wiki has a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DS_Homebrew
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 15:01:39 by LightningEagle »

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 19:29:42 »
I keep getting [EO9]Not Found Juni-O U:1730/ F:2487408 message when I try to boot up the game on my R4...what do I do?

The readme won't load up either. God I'm no good at getting things to work on flashcarts =P

Now, I will be hopeless in trying to get a story to work on it...I don't suppose there's any chance of people uploading folders of stories they have gotten to work with the game? It would save alot of stress and hassle, and I'd be so grateful to be able to play The Machine on my DS!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 20:08:04 by asparrowgoose »