Knytt Stories Resources

• 3 Replies

Offline Krail

• View Profile
Knytt Stories Resources
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:20:09 »
Hey, I have a question regarding all of the stuff that comes with Knytt stories and is readily available in the level editor.  I know that, for the most part, all this stuff is usable in the level editor, but what about in other places?

More specifically, I was thinking of making my own game, and I wanted to know if I could use a couple of the songs from Knytt Stories (with proper credits, of course).

Offline Didriking

• The King of Umbrellas
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt Stories Resources
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:30:36 »
While I'm not certain, I think a fair bet is to say that, no, no you can't. The songs are (probably) for KS and KS only.
-place holder-

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:06:49 »
If your game/game engine supports the Ogg Vorbis sound format, you can use the music.  (If it doesn't, you can convert the music to another format, though the quality will of course degrade unless you convert to an uncompressed format.)

You can easily use tilesets, though your game would need to use 24x24 tiles.

You need to get permission from the authors of any content that you use in something other than a KS level.  Simply crediting them isn't enough.  Also, frankly, taking content from KS is going to greatly degrade most people's opinion of your game.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:22:48 »
You indeed need the permission from both the authors and nifflas too (he made the game, and he asked for the content to be made for this game.) I do agree with minmay here.

If you're going to use the content from KnyttStories after you've got the approvals, people will start to see your game as a rip-off, and that will deeply affect what people will think of your game.

If you just want to make a game, but you don't care if you aren't going to release it (so only you will play it as experiment) then you can take whatever you want. No one will find out that way.

You also have the option to start your game using content from other sources, and replace them at a later stage. This is a good way to find out if you're motivated enough to make your game.

Do remember, if you do this, get permission from the authors before starting to hand out beta's etc, or replace the content first.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex