KS Tileset Competition: Hopefully This Won't Get Locked

• 48 Replies

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
A lot of people keep discussing competitions, and how they should be done, and all that.

What I'm doing is actually starting one instead of talking about why it would/wouldn't work and what it should be about.

Now, you have probably inferred that this competition is about tilesets!  I'll explain how exactly it works, with the archetypical slightly redundant rule set.

1. Every round of the competition lasts for one week.  If fewer than three tilesets are posted, it is extended to last two weeks, but cannot be extended beyond that (even if it requires someone winning by default, or having no winner at all).  To enter, post one working Knytt Stories tileset (PNG image, 384x202, no fully transparent tiles except top left) during that time.  Each round begins as soon as the previous round ends.  (Okay, so what actually happens is, each round begins after I announce the winner of the previous round and the theme of the next round, but really...)
2. Each round will have one winning tileset, chosen by me (I might get some judges later, but honestly, I doubt we need them).  It will be displayed in the first post with a note on why it was chosen, and, of course, the author's username.  There is absolutely no tangible prize whatsoever.  You don't even get one of those cruddy signature banners.  Sorry.
3. Detailed rules for tileset eligibility:
-The tileset must work unmodified in the Knytt Stories level editor.  This means that it must load without errors, and not much else.  A tileset where all the tiles are solid blocks of bright green is still considered "working," though it will probably fail one of the other categories, and submitting a tileset like that is totally stupid and annoying and don't do it or people will hate you.
-Obviously, you can't enter someone else's tileset in this contest, unless you enter it on their behalf, and have their permission to do so.
-The tileset must fit the theme of the current round.  If the theme is "rainforests," an underwater tileset isn't going to cut it.  Themes can be interpreted loosely, and feel free to screw with them a little; if the theme is "technology," then feel free to make a tileset about Stone Age technology, such as crude rock hammers and chisels.
-If the tileset has multiple authors, they must all be credited.
-If the tileset takes any material from outside sources, permission must be obtained from said outside source, and said outside source must be credited, unless said material is public domain.  (Note that essentially nothing that could be used in a common KS tileset is public domain.)
-The tileset must not violate the Nifflas' Support Forum forum rules.  This one should really pretty much be a no-brainer.
-The tileset must not have been previously released on the Nifflas' Support Forum (the old version, too), or included in a Knytt Stories level posted to KnyttLevels.com or the temporary levels board.  The entire purpose of this competition is to get people making new tilesets.  It's okay to enter a tileset that's a few weeks/months/years old, but it has to be one that we haven't seen before!
-Tilesets do not need an info bar.  They can have as few or as many tiles as you desire.
4. What tilesets are graded on:
Graphical quality.  Pretty much obvious.  A good tileset is a tileset that looks good.
Originality and interpretation of theme.  Make your tileset unique.
Usability and flexibility.  Tilesets should be logically laid out and easy to use.  Ideally, they should also not be very restricted in their use (look at Nifflas' tilesets; there are plenty of creative things you can do with them).
5. Start drawing tilesets already!

Round two has been extended, and it ends at midnight GMT on June 21st (as soon as June 22nd begins.)  Its theme is deep; interpret as you wish.

Round one's winner was shawnachu (the theme was ruins), with this tileset:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
While the graphical quality isn't exactly exemplary, the tileset is solidly constructed and conveys a good feeling of gentle ruined-ness.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 16:21:17 by minmay »

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
Re: KS Tileset Competition: Hopefully This Won't Get Locked
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:32:07 »
This could produce some great tilesets! I'd love to participate, but I have no chance of winning. Just one question, do all tiles need to be filled in?

Check out my tilesets!

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 04:09:21 »
This could produce some great tilesets!
More like rushed to fit a week tilesets. <_<
Also, is there a topic for this round?
Lurk more.

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:52:50 »
More like rushed to fit a week tilesets. <_<
A week seems like enough to me. If the tilesets from this round are rushed, we can extend the time next round. I hope people participate in this, it sounds fun! I'll probably wait until we get a round with a topic to participate though.
EDIT: When I said "great tilesets", I meant I was glad we would finally be getting some new tilesets since the tileset forum no longer exists and there's really nowhere else to put them.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:10:07 by Dandelion »

Check out my tilesets!

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 15:55:31 »
I'm really sorry about the topic; I accidentally submitted that post before it was quite finished, and, er, wasn't able to correct it until now.

Also, a week is plenty of time to make a tileset.  Most of my tilesets (the good ones, too, that I haven't released since they're for a level) were produced within a few days.

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 18:21:35 »
So we don't have to fill all the tiles? Great. I always have trouble filling them up, and now that we have a theme, I think it's time I contributed! :D

Check out my tilesets!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 18:41:44 »
There was a tileset contest on the old forum, organized by UncleSporky. He prepared a tileset template (see attachment) and a level that would use any tileset adhering to the template.

I don't know whether anyone would want to do this sort of standardized competition, but it worked pretty well before, and the contest produced the Candy Garden (the direct ancestor of the Candy Grass tilesets) and Middling Morass tilesets, both of which have been used extensively since release.

(I don't mean to try to butt in here and say how the contest should be run, but I think these ideas have merit and could be used to good effect in a future competition. As is, the contest is very free-form, and it'll take time to tell how it'll work out.)
good bye

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 19:07:52 »
Personally, I like how free-form the contest is now. It lets people be very creative and include whatever they want. I would hate to have to follow that template while making my tileset. It would take the fun out of it for me. The template doesn't even have some of my favorite ground shapes. If it doesn't work out we can try it a different way, but I think it will be fine as long as we get enough participants.
EDIT: I forgot to say that the template is also already organized, which removes a judging category.
Usability and flexibility.  Tilesets should be logically laid out and easy to use.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 19:27:57 by Dandelion »

Check out my tilesets!

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 20:46:37 »
There was a tileset contest on the old forum, organized by UncleSporky. He prepared a tileset template (see attachment) and a level that would use any tileset adhering to the template.

I don't know whether anyone would want to do this sort of standardized competition, but it worked pretty well before, and the contest produced the Candy Garden (the direct ancestor of the Candy Grass tilesets) and Middling Morass tilesets, both of which have been used extensively since release.

(I don't mean to try to butt in here and say how the contest should be run, but I think these ideas have merit and could be used to good effect in a future competition. As is, the contest is very free-form, and it'll take time to tell how it'll work out.)
*sigh* I remember those tilesets. I agree with Dandelion, however. We need some creativity, not just a template.
Lurk more.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 23:09:44 »
Yeah, the whole idea with this was to give designers a lot of freedom, while still giving them interesting challenges and having some sort of structure (hence the theme).

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 00:10:41 »
ruins? hmm...
If you're entering farik, then I'm definitely going to lose! XD But it's great that we have another (possible) participant!

Check out my tilesets!

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 06:50:00 »
Ooh! Question.
Can we take a tileset that we made but never released and 'ruin' it?
Lurk more.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:04 »
It's okay to enter a tileset that's a few weeks/months/years old, but it has to be one that we haven't seen before!
good bye

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 21:17:51 »
Here it is! Mostly. I'm traveling this weekend and won't be back in time to finish it. :( Anyway, this is an abandoned underwater city. If the contest gets extended or something, may I resubmit this? I'd really like to finish it.
Anyone may use, edit or remix this tileset as long as credit is given to me. And if you remix it, please credit yourself too. :)

Check out my tilesets!