[Environmental][Easy] Fear V2.1...

• 49 Replies

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
[Environmental][Easy] Fear V2.1...
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:00:37 »
Here's my third level: Fear

It's quite a small level,but it took me ages and includes a modified tileset140 and a couple of non-moving CO's that i used in layer 7.

You can play in in either KS or KSAdvanced, the only difference being that in KSA some of the areas have the darkness effect.I couldn't be bothered putting the credits in-game, so here they are:

Level Design:
a ClockWork Lemon

Tilesets:
A ClocWork Lemon
Mr. Monkey
Nifflas

Music:
Nifflas

Heres the Link-
http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/A%20ClockWork%20Lemon%20-%20Fear%20V2%28fixed%29.knytt.bin

Hope you guys like it! C)p

V2 is out! it includes:
-Bugs mentioned in this forum fixed
-Better Music
-KS white savepoints as well as the red KSA savepoints
-A new area
-a few more ENEMIES!! (The level is gonna be a Challenge/Normal)
-Oh yeah, and the random pit that you die when you hit the floor has water in it
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:30:49 by a clockwork lemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental][Easy] Fear...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:28:27 »
Fun level, my favorite one from you yet! The tileset is really fantastic, you actually managed to make it look 2.5D!
The level wasn't supposed to be scary, was it? Because it wasn't. May I suggest that you add save points? It's a bit frustrating to die when you try to explore a gap that doesn't have anything visibly dangerous on it and have to start over. Just because it's an environmental doesn't mean you don't need save points.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:11:47 »
2.5d made it confusing  :S

Offline bunnrey

• still working...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:19:30 »
*downloading*
you hooked me with the title. I hope It isn't too scary!   ;)

EDIT
finished. this is a great level, short and smart. it's also very innovative with adding that new dimension. well done! however I did find a wallswim.

Spoiler: wallswim (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:42:32 by bunnrey »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:56:52 »
damn, silly me, I thought i fixed that one...  :ohnoes:
Ill fix it and upload a new version next weekend or something
(you will find the KSA version is a little scarier)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:16:17 by a clockwork lemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 15:26:40 »
Great level. I loved the third dimension.

Oh and I found a SGE =D
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 17:58:39 »
2.5d made it confusing :S
2.5d Means that the graphics look 3d, but the gameplay is still 2d, which is hard to pull off well in KS.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:59:19 »
In the next version (V2), I'll fix those bugs etc, and add a new area down that hole near the double-jump.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:57:03 by a clockwork lemon »

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 13:26:07 »
This was great! The pseudo-isometricism worked really well.

However, there were too many sudden death situations for a level with no savepoints. Also the wall on the far left had a slight issue where it seemed to switch from normal 2D to isometric. No screenie to exemplify I'm afraid.

Excellent work!

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 15:12:25 »
pretty cool. it should be expanded into a full level :)

Offline MilkMan

• Drink Milk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 16:31:00 »
I have to say, this level was not very interesting to me. When the impression of the 2.5D ( XD )  effect had gone of i found nothing interesting and nothing going on. :P I could say, it was a little boring..

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 17:05:51 »
The 2.5D stuff is pretty neat, but on the whole, this level is meh.

The intro and ending stuff, and the title, are like totally unrelated to the actual level. Sure, it uses the dark forest tileset thing, but it has cheerful music playing over it. The 2.5D made it more interesting, but I found it weird that grass grew at the "back" of areas and stuff hanging down from the ceiling hung from the "front". (Though to be fair I can't think of any way around this.) The level relies too heavily on the novelty of the 2.5D effect. Also the level is like totally lifeless- I don't remember even seeing, say, any wind or rain. In all this feels like the start of a bigger level. The final screen is really neat, and I thought that the level would pick up from there and get better. But it didn't.

Right after I started I went right a bit and down a bit and found myself in a pit I had to ctrl-r out of. Then I got two powerups and then, whilst exploring, found this really tall wall. In the interests of exploration, I slid down the wall to look around the bottom. It turned out the bottom was fatal, and nothing hinted at this before I touched it. :S These things weren't really that inconveniencing, but still.

Anyway like I said the 2.5D stuff is really neat, but I'd like to see it used to greater effect in a larger, more developed level. The last screen really is neat, and I'd like to see more like it.

(Incidentally, I only remember seeing 2.5D in KS done once before, and not as well or as consistently as here. So, the technical achievement is great on its own.)
good bye

Offline Teper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 23:46:28 »
The 2,5d at the end with Juni going in the background, with COs, is really suprising. It's a shame there isn't more effects like this in the rest of the level, which works quite well but is a bit monotonous (and cruelly lacks savepoints)

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:30 »
I can't say I liked this. One thing I really dislike in a custom level is a pit death. No water, no spikes, just juni exploding as soon as she touches the bottom of the screen. It looks stupid. In this game it is especially annoying because you establish a lot of climbing and vertical movement through shafts and having one that abritrarily kills you is really sloppy.

A few screens on, you can fall into a pit of....ground...that kills you for some mysterious reason.

This is all made worse by the lack of save points and it would be easily solved by the addition of some water.

Here is an area you can get trapped in if you didn't get the wallclimb first

And an area on the roof that hasn't had the 2.5d effect applied to it

I just didn't like it. It felt sloppy and uninteresting. The best thing I can say about it is that the final screen was impressive and I'd like to see it applied to a better level.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:47:00 »
@Ghost head & Googoobjoob: the pit where you which you die if you hit the bottom is to simulate KSA's death-by-falling.

Also, the pit near the far left is going to have something else in it in the new version, and the level is going from Environmental to Challenge (Normal)

Ill make sure to fix the bugs etc mentioned by you guys, thanks for your opinions.