[small][easy][misc.]the Iza's first level

• 5 Replies

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
[small][easy][misc.]the Iza's first level
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:24:32 »
so i finally decided to go for it... here is my very first attempt at a knytt stories level :D

its small... tiny in fact... 3 screens... (thats why i'm gonna refuse to put up a screen)

just trying to work my way around the editor with a random tileset i chose... i know theres gonna be something said about foreground and background objects being the same... but, unless i'm slow (which is totally possible), you can only use one tile set per screen rite? so i didn't have many options as far as differentiating my attempt at intricacy... anywho... i'm ready to see what u guys think :)

oh... and if someone would be kind enough to tell me how to add a direct download link (without using mediafire or any other 3rd party hosting site thingy) i'll definitely add one! for now here is a link to the level archive lolz... it's "the Iza's first level" :oops:

oh yeah i also tried to categorize it but i guess i didn't save it right :/ fixed

EDIT: now here is the direct download link The Iza's first level (thank you Miss Paula) (i hope no one downloaded that in the last 3 minutes... because i had to upload multiple because my slowness got the best of me again :( the link now should be the final version... no more edits for me lolz lies okay that Fixedv3 should be it! ugh i just couldn't get that double jump powerup to go away... thank u for ur patience... hopefully now... no more edits!)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 18:27:03 by theiza27 »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: [small][easy][misc.]the Iza's first level
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 13:14:26 »
you can easily add a direct download link by right-clicking the Download part on KS Level Archive and then selecting "copy link address". It'd give in this case this link (refer to the [help] on link formatting).

also, you can indeed use TWO tilesets per screen (by clicking "Tileset B" in the editor), check out the [faq] and the pdf manual on further information.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 13:33:42 »
Well, you definitely made me laugh! (At the humourous sign text, not at your level-design skills.) Especially the "cheesy toasts of death... nom..." one.

Categorisation-wise, I'd call this an environmental... possibly the smallest environmental ever.  C)p

There is a wall-swim-inducing void directly above the start screen, which I wound up in after climbing that wall above the (mmm...) toasts. This can be corrected by placing the No-Climb object (Bank 0, Obj 11) on an object layer (4-7) over the wall tiles -- like you did on the third screen, actually, now that I've looked in the editor, but I'll leave the explanation in for the benefit of others -- though double-jumping will still allow a glimpse of the void, so you might want to either take away one of the jump powerups, or just give that top screen a sky background instead of the void background.

I didn't come across any instances of a tile being background in the sense that Juni can walk in front of it because it's on layer 0, 1 or 2, and then in another screen Juni can walk on it because it's on layer 3 -- which is what people mean when talking about the foreground/background issue. Having scenery tiles in the part of the foreground that's apparently closer to the player than Juni, and the same scenery tiles in the 'distance' of the background behind Juni, is fine.

I'm afraid you may be slow, however: You get to use two tilesets per screen, not one. (Don't feel too bad for missing that; it took me forever to realise that the music and ambiance setting were right in the main edit window, not in a 3rd-party screen or requiring direct editing of the world.ini file... "if it had been a snake it would have bit me" definitely applies.)

Just above where the tileset graphics are displayed in the editor, there are three numbers: [BG] XXX  [TILEASET] XXX  [TILEBSET] XXX ...you've already figured out that clicking on the number next to BG changes the background, and clicking on the number next to TILESET A changes that tileset. To see what's in tileset B, you have to click [TILEBSET] XXX (the text 'tileset B' will then turn that same amber-yellow, to indicate it's active, that shows you which layer is active in the 1-7 layers listing). Voila! You can now choose and use a second tileset.

(Speaking of backgrounds, by the way, I was surprised to realise you didn't use one of the backgrounds that already has stars on it; putting all those stars in on a blank dark background allowed for the interesting effect of the overall number of stars in the sky decreasing as the red stars increased, but it must have been tedious putting them all in...)

The 'death' objects you placed over the water on the final screen were unnecessary, by the way, as the water-surface tiles are already deadly to the touch... or did you want the effect of the death coming just before Juni actually touched the water, for some reason?

If you meant for the music to continue playing on the second and/or third screens, the same music number has to be set there. Otherwise it just fades out. Also, when you place signs, it's usually better to use just one SIGN object (Bank 0, Obj 17-19) and, for other squares you want the sign text to be visible in when Juni moves, use the SIGN AREA objects (Bank 0, Obj 29-31) instead. That way the text box doesn't move when Juni does.

One last tiny little thing... there's a typo in Sign C on the start screen. It should be "its beautiful stars", not "it's beautiful stars"; "it's" always means "it is" whereas "its" is, like "his" and "hers", a pronoun and thus doesn't need an apostrophe to show possession the way "Juni's" or "people's" would.

Incidentally, this is the kind of level people don't usually release (or upload to the archive if they do make it available) because it's more of a "getting practice using the editor" level. I think it's a good thing for people to get feedback at this stage, myself, but other forumites will probably disagree in not-necessarily-polite terms.  <_<

On that note, however: http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/the%20Iza%20-%20the%20Iza%27s%20first%20level.knytt.bin -- or, to get fancy, click here to download the Iza's first level <-- here is the download link for your level, formatted two different ways. Here's how I did the first one:
Code: [Select]
[url]http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/the%20Iza%20-%20the%20Iza%27s%20first%20level.knytt.bin[/url] and here's how I did the second, fancier hyperlink-text one:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/the%20Iza%20-%20the%20Iza%27s%20first%20level.knytt.bin]click here to download the Iza's first level[/url]
ETA Curses! Miss Paula is superiour to me in all ways, especially speed of posting...

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 13:35:49 by the Jack »

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 18:20:02 »
Miss Paula- thank you! I did actually... um... peruse the pdf manual but i obviously missed the 2 tileset part lolz

the Jack- the wallswims and voids were a total mistake... because i didn't intend for Juni to start with the double jump... only the run, climb, and high jump... so i didn't plan for anyone to be able to jump that high thats why i didn't put anything up there... and i'm pretty sure i did put No-Climb on those two tiles on the side to prevent climbing into the next screen above (fixed now, hopefully)

i also just removed the death objects over the water... i saw that all the water items were in the same Bank and i saw that the low water (the ones that are usually used to walk through) were in that Bank so I wasn't sure that the deeper water tiles would come deadly... so i just added those to be sure ;) but i've removed them now

i didnt actually know how the music worked, as far as making it continuous and what not, but i kind of like the fact that it just dwindled off by the time it hit the 3rd screen (i suppose i'll have to learn how to use that if i inted to make longer levels  X-P)

i also fixed the signs (thank you for telling me how those worked)

and fixed the typo :)

thank u for all your critiques and help the Jack I really appreciated it and i'm glad u even got a little laugh out of it... btw the stars weren't that tedious, i mean it's only 3 screens... i only wished they had had more different tiles with the red stars... i really didn't want it to look that uniform in the 3rd screen... i know you're right tho most ppl will probably just shun my little practice level... but I wanted some feedback and i'm sure after a few days it'll just fall to the wayside, which is fine by me as long as i get some opinions back

all i really do have to say is i finally realize how much work you amazing level makers put in just for us to have a few minutes of enjoyment! thank you!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 18:22:05 by theiza27 »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 18:33:23 »
I enjoyed the humorous story very, very much  :)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
I wish the level was a bit longer, or at least some equally nice explanation of the stars etc. was given  :)

Not much to add to the Jack's post concerning the technical details (actually, I never noticed the voids since I never double jumped  :crazy:). Taking away the double jump is accomplished when you set the starting position in the editor. Click SetStarPos and you'll see a table of powerups and keys light up, de-select the double jump, click on where you want the starting position to be, and that should do it.

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 22:24:16 »
yeah honestly i was just trying to test out how the level editor works... but still spiffy it up enough so that its not a typical noob level... i think i've decided that i'm going to make a larger level... and maybe perhaps a medium sized one to give more details into Juni and the Cheese World... we'll see ;)