Poll

Do you think a bi-weekly delete of the Arcade Highscore Boards would make it more fun for you?

Yes.
5 (21.7%)
Yes, but I'd rather have only a monthly refresh.
6 (26.1%)
No! I want to stay on top forever!
0 (0%)
I don't care either way, playing is enough for me, scores don't matter.
4 (17.4%)
something else (specify in post, plz. :P )
8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: May 25, 2009, 13:15:03

Arcade Refresh

• 54 Replies

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Arcade Refresh
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 13:05:35 »
~50% voted for a refresh, and no one voted against it.
We can haz refresh nao?

Also, the games don't have to be good (just they aren't too crappy), it's the competing that's fun.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 13:10:33 »
Okay, four said they didn't care, so ignore those votes. 6+5=11 said they want a refresh of some sort, 8 said something else. So, more people said refresh. More voted for a monthly refresh rather than bi-weekly, so go with monthly refresh! Perfectly usable result!

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 04:33:27 »
But 8 voted something else, which puts that group on top. The thread is also still open for debate.
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 08:15:17 »
11 said yes, 8 said something else. If I check what they say, no one says no. So this looks like a clear yes to me.

I urge for a monthly refresh.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 17:23:56 »
I think monthly refresh is stupid and wrong. I mean just... monthly refresh? How you thought that out?
Records are meant to be breaked, not deleted. That is so wrong. I can see why people would want a montly refresh but they are noobs and they are weak. If you cant beat the highscore then play it until you do. If you dont get it then you are a noob.

srsly, dont delete the highscores. Its a bad choice.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 18:43:31 »
If I check what they say, no one says no. So this looks like a clear yes to me.

If having two boards isn't actually an option, I'd've voted for no refreshes. (But I can't now since I already voted for the "other" option.)

As far as I know, every game in the arcade is made in such a way that getting a high score is the motivation. What other objective does Asteroids have, other than getting a high score? Or Tetris, or Pac-Man? You can't win these games, so a high score is an objective measure of how well you did.

Refreshes would get rid of the point of high scores for the people who play for them. People who merely play for fun rather than scores really shouldn't care about high scores. The only people refreshes would help are people who aren't very good at the games, but want to see their name on/near the top of the high score board. It's anticompetitive. It's like breaking the fastest runners' legs before a marathon so the race is "fair" for everyone. Someone who gets a high score shouldn't be forced to get the same score every month to keep their position on the board.

I really can't see any reason for having score purges that doesn't involve putting a pointless handicap (records-wise) on the best players in the interest of a misguided sense of fairness.

(Incidentally- I'm not against refreshes because I have high scores that I want to keep. I've only ever submitted like one score to the arcade.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 18:45:12 by googoogjoob »
good bye

4a

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 18:50:23 »
If having two boards isn't actually an option, I'd've voted for no refreshes. (But I can't now since I already voted for the "other" option.)

As far as I know, every game in the arcade is made in such a way that getting a high score is the motivation. What other objective does Asteroids have, other than getting a high score? Or Tetris, or Pac-Man? You can't win these games, so a high score is an objective measure of how well you did.

Refreshes would get rid of the point of high scores for the people who play for them. People who merely play for fun rather than scores really shouldn't care about high scores. The only people refreshes would help are people who aren't very good at the games, but want to see their name on/near the top of the high score board. It's anticompetitive. It's like breaking the fastest runners' legs before a marathon so the race is "fair" for everyone. Someone who gets a high score shouldn't be forced to get the same score every month to keep their position on the board.

I really can't see any reason for having score purges that doesn't involve putting a pointless handicap (records-wise) on the best players in the interest of a misguided sense of fairness.

(Incidentally- I'm not against refreshes because I have high scores that I want to keep. I've only ever submitted like one score to the arcade.)

+1 :O

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 19:08:32 »
I can see where you're coming from Goog, but that doesn't explain why people are no longer playing the games as it is now.

If we do nothing, nothing happens. So we must do something. Adding games isn't really an option here because there aren't that much good games, and we simply don't have the time too look through all the available games to find that one good game.

Besides, the sole purpose of the arcade is not to play a game, but to have the best score. If you want to play a game, you go through the "Free Game Downloads" forum. So yes, this arcade's only reason is to have the best score. I entirelly understand: if you didn't win, but want to be on the top, you must try harder, or live with the fact that you're not that good. This however doesn't change the fact that people stopped playing the arcade because they gave up.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

4a

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 19:12:43 »
Even if other people besides LimeLemon got high scores, it wouldn't change anything--and inevitably SOMEONE will get a high score. The only reason they stop is because they're bored with the same thing. Of course they do the same thing because they want to get a high score, but if there were more options they wouldn't get bored so quickly.
But then like you said you can't just add more games, but that really probably is what the problem is.

Edit: If you do implement this, many people will eventually just get bored of playing the same games and not even having permanent high scores. It will probably not solve the problem.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 19:18:58 by 4a »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 19:30:49 »
I really don't think the problem is people gave up- I think it's that people got bored. When it was added, the arcade was totally new and the forum had never had anything like it before. But then everyone realized that none of the games were particularly original or varied, so people just drifted away.
good bye

4a

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 19:35:43 »
I really don't think the problem is people gave up- I think it's that people got bored. When it was added, the arcade was totally new and the forum had never had anything like it before. But then everyone realized that none of the games were particularly original or varied, so people just drifted away.

...yeah!
That's sort of like what I said googoogjoob. ._.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 20:18:08 »
Some people still play the games. It's just that no one breaks a highscore.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 21:43:15 »
It would be nice if the arcade was based around games the community created, but that would depend on how many people who have, and know, Flash enough to make games suitable for the arcade.
There's some code that you can put in to make the games compatible with the submission system, which is available here:
http://www.smfarcade.info/forum/index.php/topic,714.0.html

It seems like you could also ask some known Flash game developers if they want to make compatible versions of their games for the arcade.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 21:48:46 by chipset »
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 02:57:00 »
if you didn't win, but want to be on the top, you must try harder, or live with the fact that you're not that good.
Or cheat. :P Apparently I was one of the four people who understood that these arcades are ripe for cheating, and thus voted that highscores are meaningless.

Well, the public highscores, that is. There is still a "personal best" score for each game, which should give enough incentive for people who play these games for achievements. This leaves only those who want their achievements to be gawked at publicly: fierce competitors and showoffs. X-P

Quote from: chipset
It would be nice if the arcade was based around games the community created, but that would depend on how many people who have, and know, Flash enough to make games suitable for the arcade.
Good idea. I have the Flash authoring app, but I use it for work only, not for game development. The modding seems to be simple enough however. If anyone wants to have their games modded, I could give it a try. ;)   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:00:44 by SiamJai »

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 09:49:08 »
REFRESH !!!, please.

LimeLemon is champion of most of the games (10/18)