Poll

Do you think a bi-weekly delete of the Arcade Highscore Boards would make it more fun for you?

Yes.
5 (21.7%)
Yes, but I'd rather have only a monthly refresh.
6 (26.1%)
No! I want to stay on top forever!
0 (0%)
I don't care either way, playing is enough for me, scores don't matter.
4 (17.4%)
something else (specify in post, plz. :P )
8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: May 25, 2009, 13:15:03

Arcade Refresh

• 54 Replies

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Arcade Refresh
« on: May 18, 2009, 13:15:03 »
Ok, I guess this is fairly easy to understand. Poll is open for one week.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Arcade Refresh
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 13:46:56 »
I know it's my fault, I ruined the arcade...

Even though I earned all highscores fair and square...
Even though Lightning Eagle's Tetris score is insane, the same with Dynamites Aussie X-Mas (before it got deleted)...

It must be that I had so many highscores... people stopped playing, stopped trying, they thought I would only beat their score anyway...

But that's why I liked the arcade so much. I loved getting a pretty crappy highscore on that new game, and I knew someone would beat it so I could try again and get an even better score, and everyone was competing, all the time improving their skills and score, for that first place...

And why did the mods stop adding new games btw? It must be the same reason everyone stopped playing...
But anyway, I don't think people would mind me having a bunch of champions if some new games were added every now and then... I know they said it's hard to find good compatible games and such...
But they have had Burger Time for testing over 4 weeks! They must be done testing it by now... (I am not complaining about the mods doing a bad job or anything btw...)
But the reason they don't add it must because they have given up. I already killed the arcade.
The reason they kept games long for testing in the first place must be because I complained about some games having bugs and requesting removal... though I didn't mean to complain. I just want to help. But everyone thinks so.

So I don't think I will vote in this poll. I will at least not vote for the "I wanna stay on top" thingy...
I'm sorry for killing the arcade. I was so excited about this the first week or something, and when I had calmed down it was already too late.

The arcade should be fun for everyone. I would really want everyone to vote in this poll, so we can do something about it!
Of course it wouldn't feel very fun for me if there were refreshes, I'm kinda proud of my scores... but this isn't about me. If refreshes can make the arcade more interesting and fun for everyone, let's do it. The arcade doesn't belong to me. It belongs to the whole forum, to all of us!

So please, cast your vote. Save the arcade!
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 14:52:15 »
...That's a wonderful idea. :o This way, nobody can be permanent king of the arcade. I really like that idea. :)

Ans LimeLemon, you didn't "ruin" the arcade, you just dominated it. Think of it as a kingdom. When a new king comes to the throne, even if he is good, there will always be some people that don't like him.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 15:32:58 »
I voted "something else" btw.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 16:07:22 »
Us admins just don't have enough time to add new games that frequently.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 16:28:31 »
What about some kind of game finding/testing group?
I'm sure some people would like to help.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 18:13:52 »
Well, everyone who read the first arcade threads should by now know the requirements for games, so there's nothing stopping anybody from roaming the internet and making decent suggestions.
There are a few games in the testing category that don't really come out of it, which is mostly because they aren't that awesome, so at least I thought that nobody really would care anyways. :P2
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 19:21:58 »
I voted something else.

I think that the scores should be deleted bi-weekly, but at the same time, keep the top ten all-time highest, greatest stores recorded in a log that can be accessed from the arcade menu.  If for example, I get a high score on a game, but the scores are deleted bi-weekly, then it may still be seen from the top ten menu if it was good enough.  I don't know, just a thought.
Well what if someone has a high score for both weeks, the highest time possible?
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 20:16:53 »
Wait... Dib gave me an idea.

Or, it's pretty similar to his, so maybe I stole it?
Anyway, there could be separate highscore tables.
One for all time, one for this month, this week, and maybe today?
But then we also would need to remove or remake the champion thingy.  Or have separate champions (All time, monthly, weekly, daily).
There should at least be one for all time, and one monthly/bi-weekly/weekly(daily?), and we could do so the monthly/weekly would only count (and be reset every month/whatever)... the champions would only last a [instert specific time thingy], the all time scoreboard would only be there for fun.

Something like this would be good, I think. This is only my opinion, please tell me yours.

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 20:20:33 »
Mostly because I have the highest score in Pacman, a real classic to me, I think there ought to be some reference to previous high scores somewhere. But they don't have to be right there 'in your face'. It'd be more like a 'once upon a time, this guy got the highest score' thing.
The issue here is just that people are easily put off when things look hopeless (in this case, to their competitive sides)--and this is probably not helped by LimeLemon's apparent pride, which further lowers morale.
Anyway, so yeah, go ahead and delete scores every now and then, but have old high scores referenced elsewhere. I suppose it could eventually be some kind of "high score gallery" for every highest high score when the scores were deleted. There is the chance the same problems might occur there too, so I'll just stop typing now.

On another note, that "Did you know?" thing is annoying--I did not know, but I also did not care!

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 20:24:43 »
LimeLemon:

That would be a good idea, and probably the best way of doing it, but I'm not so sure it's possible.

As I understand it, the whole highscore and champion system is built in to SMF arcade and short of rewriting a lot of that it'd pretty much be undoable.

But I may be wrong. Hopefully wrong.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 21:18:38 »
I don't think having a seperate highscore of all time next to clearing the scores every once in a while. If you want to improve your score, you can do that now. That doesn't really matter if there still is a highscore of all times somewhere.

Its either delete the scores so we get a fresh start, or not. Besides, its not that easy to do this at all. I won't have time to implement such system to the arcade anyway.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 21:25:15 »
I voted something else. I think that there should be no refresh of scores, but instead games. I think a refresh of games would be better because it may prevent people from getting bored of the arcade.

What about some kind of game finding/testing group?
I'm sure some people would like to help.

I agree. Yes, I realize that the admins might not have that much time, but if there was a dedicated group of people who could do this then it might make it easier for them to add them to the list.
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 23:53:56 »
This still wouldn't save the Arcade. I might go on every now and then..but it just gets boring.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 09:00:51 »
The refresh will only solve one problem, me and my scores (lol).
The other problem is that there aren't many games. I understand that it's hard to find compatible games and that the mods don't have so much time, but we should think of a way to solve that problem too.