Low-res pixelly mockup game

• 20 Replies
Low-res pixelly mockup game
« on: May 16, 2009, 20:42:12 »
Okay, you each have to make an image following the specifications of the judge. After five (or more, depending on how long the judge is willing to wait, but no more that ten) images have been posted, the judge chooses a winner and that winner is the new judge.

If more than 48 hours have passed since the last image was posted and there are less than five images, the round will timeout: If there are 2 images posted or more, judging will start immediately; if only one was posted, the drawer of that wins, if none, the winner can choose again (or pass to someone else).

The main idea of the game is drawing a screenshot, either an interpretation of a real game or one the drawer made up, under certain resolution and color restrictions, I.E. 320x240, 256 colors. The judge chooses the restrictions, and optionally a certain style, theme or a even a specific game, although they probably shouldn't be too specific or the images will probably be quite similar.

To prevent ridiculously high resolution limits, the maximum limit you can impose is 320x240 with 256 colors.

I'll be the judge initially.

Res: 256x128
Colors: Either 16 shades of grey or 8 colors
Theme: SHOOT SHOOT FIRE KILL HIM

Go!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 20:56:43 by Dataflashsabot »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Low-res pixelly mockup game
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:20:26 »
Like this?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 13:47:49 »
Can I please have a conserved space for this judging? I might not finish mine in time. Since I have to go to bed soon.

Edit:

Nevermind heres my attempt! I hope its what you wanted.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 14:17:38 by Lizzaroro »
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here
My Youtube *Contains NSFW*

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 14:11:31 »
Okay.

EDIT: By my count that image has 11 colors (12 actually)... am I doing something wrong? (I used the magic wand tool set to 0% tolerance, and counted how many deletions it took)

Can someone confirm how many colors this has?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 16:24:53 by Dataflashsabot »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 18:23:07 »
Sure,thanks to PSPro8 have actually a unique color counter  :D.

Means that only LPChip one its valid.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 20:25:08 »
Thanks Firecat :)

Anyways, 48 hours have passed since the last valid image was posted (sorry Lizzaroro, I can't accept that one) so the winner is LPChip! Congratulations, you are now the next judge!

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:09:45 »
And I worked an entire hour on this for nothing... Wait a second. When I checked I soon figured out I had seven. The other five must have been ones that are hardly noticable.

Oh well... Lets see what LPChip has to offer.

This is an example of what I was like. This is not my voice by the way.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 13:48:07 by Lizzaroro »
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 12:14:07 »
LPChip, could you post your restrictions soon?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 12:48:28 »
Sorry, was the entire day out yesterday.

Had a wedding. X)

Okay:
res restrictions: 320x200,
colors: 4, in particluar:
   black + white + cyan + pink
or
   black + yellow + red + green.

theme: modern game.

I'll elaborate the theme. The restrictions here are known as CGA, which had a native resolution of 320x200 with just 4 colours. So its pretty easy to google for really old games and bam, you have an image. To combat this, it must be a representation/modification of a very modern game shown as if it was made on the CGA screen.. To tell you how modern, the game must've been made in 2004 or later. Genre can be anything as long as it met these criteria. :)

Good luck. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:50:15 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 13:12:13 »
Don't worry about me. I know what CGA games look like  :) I'll have to start mine tomorrow though.

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 16:31:03 »
The main idea of the game is drawing a screenshot, either an interpretation of a real game or one the drawer made up...

Just to clarify - we are supposed to draw the images, not just screen cap and manipulate the screeny to fit the restrictions, right? I get the impression the previous images have been screen caps...

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 16:42:51 »
Drawing them is preferred. You can screen cap and manipulate etc if you like, as long as you put effort in to it, but it's obvious and will probably score lower in the eyes of the judge.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 10:51:38 »
I'm amased that no one actually posted something yet. Either, there's not much animo for this game, or they're not as good as I thought.

I didn't find this that hard to do. Made the following images in 15 minutes:

Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 20:28:39 »
I think the idea behind this game is to actually draw something, rather than just GIMPing it to use four colors.*

*if you use photoshop, then butts.