[Easy/Undefined] Kera

• 5 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
[Easy/Undefined] Kera
« on: September 02, 2010, 17:17:14 »
This is my first try at Knytt Stories level Editor. Also probably my first try at making graphics like this (pixel art) so some of the graphics will come out wrong. As my talent with pixel art isn't any good, I used some resources from the tilesets that come with KS, I hope there is no problem with that. As of right now I have 10 screens, and took a screenshot of every one of them:
Link (ImageShack Album)

Even though, as I said, I am no good with the graphics, I wanted to make something more personal, so I opted for the simple tilesets for the floor. The problem is that the game doesn't really like the rounded corners, and there may be some problems with that, but I can always fix them, but It makes me waste a little bit more time with testing every single corner of the level.

I started making this because I thought of a nice story and wanted to make it a game, on that screen with the lady in white, there is a shift that takes you to the village, and that is explained by the story.

None of the screens are complete, I will add more detail, but it will be mostly black, I think it looks nice that way.
Please tell me what you think, I wish to know if I am going the right way with my first work ;)

Oh, and the level is named Kera because that is the name of the girl :P

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Easy/Undefined] Kera
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 17:33:31 »
I like the screens. Good aesthetic sense for a first level. I'll be looking forward to it! Only disliked the lady in white (sorry!) because of the unnaturally (well, in the context of the color scheme you used) bright hair color.

One word of advice: you may want to cut down on the number of screenshots you post; otherwise people will end up disappointed when they play the level and find out they've seen most of the screens already.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 17:38:33 »
Yea, I don't think I'll be posting any screenshots until I finish it, thanks. It's just that if I'm doing something wrong now I feel better knowing that at least it cant bee seen yet :P

I also dislike the lady in white, honestly, and its not only the colors, the animation (flowing hair) is the worst part :/ Ill see what I can do.
Thanks.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 17:42:49 »
It's just that if I'm doing something wrong now I feel better knowing that at least it cant bee seen yet :P

I think some people here might have some advice on the tileset; I'm no good at making tilesets so I can't comment there. Maybe Headgrinder will step in, he's done round stones in his tilesets. The only serious problem I've encountered with round tiles and non-flat terrain is that you can't make diagonal slopes that go from one screen into the other - always causes a wallswim  <_<

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 03:44:42 »
I'm getting kind of excited with this, and actually wasting a lot of time :S
To avoid releasing a huge disaster, I will try to finish what I have now and make part 1, then I hope people will tell me what they think and what I can improve, and then I can make part 2.
I think I have finished making the levels, it ended up a bit different from what you can see in the screens, now I only have to finish adding people (still thinking if Ill just use the default ones only or make some more) and dialogs.
Also, I think I am hating every animation I make, but it is hard to have some things in there that should move but don't, I hope that doesn't end up beeing problem :P

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 00:40:43 »
This is looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing it.  The sky looks fantastic, especially the lead in to it.  And it is always good to see someone inspired to make a good story.

There isn't a whole lot to say about the rounded tileset problem.  I'm just glad they work even a little.  I think the max pixel size the character can walk up is 2 high (ugh...) and if that is followed by something like 3 pixels or less less the character will not climb up either, but just stop and run in place.  It is an unfortunate situation, but hey, this is the best game making program I've found yet, requiring me to do and know virtually no programing, so I'll take what I can get.  :)