Exploring [hard] [Challenge/Puzzle]

• 15 Replies

Offline TheSquashedOrange

• Nothing is bad or good, but thinking makes it so.
    • View Profile
Exploring [hard] [Challenge/Puzzle]
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:41:44 »
NEWS!!!: FINALLY!!! I managed to get the new version working without what stupid error message coming up, (took me a while to figure it out :nuts:) I've changed the link to the new one (not much is changed, just the voids and a wallswim. :/)

Here is my second level, it has quite a low file size but is pretty quite big, take my word for it . You can download it below, or listen to me for a while while I ramble on .

Anyway, I actually started this one before Pipe Line, and I've been working on it for ages. It's been great fun, but has also annoyed me immensely on many occasions. The end result is something like what I originally wanted though, so all's well that end's well as they say .

I won't give away to much about the level itself, but I will tell you that you have to double back a bit and that the, "exploring" element of it becomes pariculary obvious once you start looking for the keys.

I was also planning to make this MUCH longer, (almost twice as much) in the end I cut it back on a new level (I just copied over all the screens) to what I had planned in the first place. There's a chance I will add a version two of this when and if I complete it.

Whew, well that's enough from me, click the link below to download the level (it should take a fraction of a millisecond ) and enjoy (hopefully )

http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/TheSquashedOrange%20-%20Exploring%20%28updated%29.knytt.bin

Version 2 had a problem, the same one that was stopping me from posting version 1.1, so it won't end up getting out... attached are some shots from what it would had looked like.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:01:46 by TheSquashedOrange »

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring [hard] [Challenge/Puzzle]
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 04:36:06 »
Wow that is a big one with such a small file. How does that work? Anyway, played your level. Loved it. Not too decorative but for this one it's the game play that really works for me. I enjoy the backtracking and
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Just challenging enough to make it interesting without being too crazy. Really good level man. It's a keeper.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:42:39 »
Wow! I'm glad you loved it so much, I was a bit nervous with this one because I wasn't sure what people would think of all the searching for the keys...

But I do admit that the graphics are a bit dull in places, that was another worry for me...

Spoiler: but how... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 05:49:43 by TheSquashedOrange »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:31:37 »
Lol I have been waiting for this one...  Ill post up a review asap (prob next week)
U ROCK MANTalk to u on monday lol

*Downloading*
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:43:15 »
Heh, I was wondering whether I should send this to you lol. X-P

You wouldn't believe how long it took me to copy everything over lol, all the warps (especially ghost hall) take forever to get right...

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 13:32:44 »
This really was a great level. Not too hard, but challenging enough in some places. I enjoy this type of exploring - not too annoying despite the backtracking, and not too many maze-like bits. I also enojyed that each area had a different kind of challenge (and that you didn't go overboard with lasers!)

My only complaints are the relatively dull scenery in some places (and lack of custom stuff, but that's no 'biggie', really), and the ending. I wanted SOME kind of reward...

Oh, and a couple of voids: one when you return from screen with the route for dark area, and another just up from the red key.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 14:43:20 »
Good job! A classic-style level with good design and attention to details, consistency in the setting and fair challenge. You could say it's missing a bit of atmosphere and life, but the gameplay and length make up for it.

Wow that is a big one with such a small file. How does that work?

As long as you don't use custom tilesets and/or music, a level takes very little space: the map file of this level only makes up for half of the knytt.bin size.

I found a wallswim while wandering around, see below.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 01:23:38 »
Great advice guys, I'll try to fix up the bugs and maybe add a little scenery at some point.

Offline Joozey

• It's a clockwork universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 01:35:07 »
Yeah great level. I did got annoyed by the backtracking but bit through it.
Other than stated above, there was another wallswim, but I can't remember where.

So, nice job, just missing an ending :P.

Wow that is a big one with such a small file. How does that work?
No custom tilesets ftw.
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 00:18:45 »
This one is really well done, I liked it a lot.  The pacing was nice, and the level seemed to flow relatively well.

The only real problems I found were three times I was able to get into a void.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 01:53:19 »
I've fixed up some bugs (forgot about a wallswim right after I submitted it >() and the like since I posted version 1, so I've updated it. YAY FOR BUMPS. C)

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 03:28:15 »
the new fixed version comes up as possible exploit. tried it twice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 05:00:53 »
I'm not sure what's wrong with it, this is very confusing...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:02:47 by TheSquashedOrange »

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 05:09:27 »
Oops, did something wrong, by bad. O_o

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 21:43:31 »
OK, help. I do have the eye, and I'm at the ghost maze thing or whatever it's called, but how do I get through it? And if I'm not supposed to, where am I supposed to go?