Reporting abusive comments/posts/etc.

• 8 Replies

4a

Reporting abusive comments/posts/etc.
« on: May 07, 2009, 16:18:29 »
This is just something I was wondering about a bit.
When you choose to report an abusive comment, you get this warning thing that says doing so will allow the moderator/administrator to see your email address. Does this mean they normally cannot do so?

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Re: Reporting abusive comments/posts/etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 17:16:33 »
Not necessarily. Admins can see your email address by default, but there are different levels of moderators with various  levels of privileges. Reporting a post will sort of "broadcast" your message (along with your email address) to all mods, even to those who would normally not have the privilege to see your email address. I think that's what the message warns about.

I reported messages before, and the mods here are trustworthy enough not to abuse that privilege. :)

4a

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 17:22:01 »
I was sort of wondering why this would matter in the first place. I guess there is that chance of getting spam mail or something, but it'd be really weird for a trusted moderator to do that. :O
Doesn't matter though, thanks for answering.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 19:20:29 »
Actually normally they can.

Normally if you use such function, an email is being send to all the moderators and the FROM adress is your email adress, so they can reply to you.

However, the report to moderator function now creates a topic instead of sending out an email, so the staff can reply to this topic and the rest can see what action was taken for this post.

The entire issue therefor is not an issue anymore.

As SiamJai does point out, Admins can still see the emailadresses regarding if you hidden it or not. Mods cannot. Not sure if we allowed smods to see them, but I can't remember ever changed this settings, so most likelly not either.

Then again, if a staff member (doesn't matter what rank) would abuse this, they would get kicked out of the staff immediatelly, and possibly even banned from the site.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

4a

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 19:24:28 »
However, the report to moderator function now creates a topic instead of sending out an email, so the staff can reply to this topic and the rest can see what action was taken for this post.

I bet those secret moderator boards are filled with junk. :O

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 19:28:50 »
I dunno, I never click past page one XD
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

4a

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 19:34:18 »
I dunno, I never click past page one XD

:O :O :O
A look inside the world of the administration.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 23:03:17 »
it's not really necessary to browse through the old topics anyways, since they're all dealt with already. ;)
I mean, we could just go and delete all the "finished" report-topics, but there's mroe important stuff I'd say. X)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 23:40:10 »
Not sure if we allowed smods to see them, but I can't remember ever changed this settings, so most likelly not either.

I suppose I can confirm that we cannot. ;)
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula