Metal Venture v1.03 [+Update] [+Youtube Previews]

• 95 Replies

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
Re: [WIP] Metal Venture
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 16:47:42 »
Uploaded a new version, with many many new features!

Please, please, try it and give me some feedback! I would really appreciate some help, especially when it comes to bug reporting!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4aklwnmymim

(15.02 ΜΒ)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 18:47:01 »
It's very nice (of course).

I don't like the highly psychedelic coloring in a few rooms, but aside from that the graphics are very good.  I was actually unable to find any bugs, so...I'm pretty useless really.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 19:36:54 »
It's very nice (of course).

I don't like the highly psychedelic coloring in a few rooms, but aside from that the graphics are very good.  I was actually unable to find any bugs, so...I'm pretty useless really.

The current tiles/ambiance maps (lighting)  is merely a placeholder for the real graphics :)

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 20:30:09 »
New WIP version out. Many many new stuff implemented make the trip to awesomeness even shorter! Teleporting works fine, customizable cutscenes are added, the main char and enemies can fall off ledges, transition to the next level doesn't happen instantaneously, messages and inventory tooltip messages are added, well, I must make more room and ambiance graphics, items, weapons, enemies, option menus and also add some music and call this chapter in my life as a game maker closed :)

I don't really have to remind you how valuable feedback would be.

Latest link (15.82 MB zip file)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1yqrwmxdqmf

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 19:36:16 »
All these days and no comments...what am I doing wrong? :(

I am not active on other boards these days, my internet connection is not so stable and I have to post to what I consider to be my "top priority" at each forum. I expected some feedback though.

Anyway, I am still making progress! Options and Credits menus are ready, inventory item icons were redone from scratch (in order to include alpha transparency):

Here are all item icons so far:

(Poser 7 Rules  ;))

Currently I am currently making new weapons/enemies. I'm going to leave audio to be the last thing.

I was wondering, many people here have written very good music pieces, is anyone interested in contributing some ambient tunes to use as background music for my game?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 19:43:12 by vdweller »

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 19:50:01 »
I might do some ambient music, if you'd like. :3
grao!

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 19:52:48 »
I might do some ambient music, if you'd like. :3

I will PM you when I can about details, thanks :)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 01:27:51 »
I think the reason that nobody is posting is that nobody has anything to say.

Seriously!  This is the sort of thing that doesn't provoke a lot of excessive commentation.  Certainly, it's awesome, but there's just not a lot to say about it that hasn't already been said.

I should think that once the game is finished, there will be a lot more activity; also, the download link for the latest version wasn't working for me until now.

EDIT: Okay, I've played the new version, here are my comments:
-The standard GM effects (smoke, ring, etc.) do not fit with the other effects (and don't look good aside from that, either).  Replace them with proper particle effects please!  (Of course, they're probably just placeholders, like the psychedelic colors).
-The teleport effect is epic.
-The game lags slightly when there are large amounts of enemies on the screen (the bug room in level 2, specifically).  Although this isn't a major problem, it should be avoidable with improvement of AI code.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:06:14 by minmay »

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 23:25:02 »
Aaah...progress...such an unavoidable thing...

• New weapons: Shotgun, Jammer (reduces enemy movement speed), Mass Driver (knocs enemies back and off ledges, Sonic gun and the feared Stein 9001!
  • New enemies, items, graphics and objects!
  • Louigi Verona already started working in the game's music. I'm really curious as to what the outcome will be!

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 00:34:35 »
It's good that you got Louigi to do the music. :<
I'm really sorry about flaking out on you like that.
grao!

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 03:39:19 »
Now would be a good time to say that I love the look of those floor graphics.  What method do you use to make the sprites?  Do you do actual 3D modeling, or do you just use the various texturing features in GIMP/Photoshop?

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 05:02:51 »
great choice on music composer.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 15:08:34 »
It's good that you got Louigi to do the music. :<
I'm really sorry about flaking out on you like that.
You shouldn't feel bad, since the music genre I asked you to compose wasn't excactly your field of expertise. Plus, you told me about Louigi, so actually you have my gratitude  C)p

Now would be a good time to say that I love the look of those floor graphics.  What method do you use to make the sprites?  Do you do actual 3D modeling, or do you just use the various texturing features in GIMP/Photoshop?

There is a Photoshop plugin called Filter Forge which makes good textures for walls,tiles,etc. Plus, one can google for an image with a rusty floor tile with wires and a running bunny and find it  XD But yes, Photoshop is my main source for tile making.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 20:17:18 »
Update time! New downloadable version + video!

Link (WIP version 7 -  23 MB)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzdial1dmgh

Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgeOmhc3wQ

If you want to test all weapons so far, open the "worlddata.ini" file located in the "worlds\World1\" folder.
Edit the values startweapon1,startweapon2,startweapon3,startweapon4, with a number from 1 to 12.
Weapon values are, so far,
1-Rifle
2-Flamethrower
3-Missile Launcher
4-Plasma Gun
5-Stinger Missile launcher
6-Gauss Rifle
7-Chaingun
8-Jammer
9-Stein 9001
10-Z-36 Bulker Flechette
11-Sonic Gun
12-Mass Driver Cannon

Also, if you press the number keys (not the numpad ones, but these might work as well-I'm not sure), enemies will spawn. So far, 0-9 and Shift+1/Shift+2 keys are used, for testing purposes of course.

Try starting the game with a Mass Driver Cannon (its weapon number is 12), spawn enemies near ledges and open fire at them!

Also be sure to test the Stein 9001 (weapon number: 9), it's very cool!!

So basically it's almost done...the difficult parts that is. What remains? More graphics,enemies,weapons (2 laser cannons whose projectiles bounce off walls, as well as as rare,stronger versions of existing weapons or totally new ones),decorations, audio (=BIG ISSUE),and a complete world of ~10 levels to distribute the game with. Phew.