[Challenge - Very Hard] - Doden Vantar: Chapter One: A Harsh Winter's Night

• 144 Replies

Offline MilkMan

• Drink Milk
    • View Profile
cool but not very scary :/ i got to say that i got bored of walking (!!!) around and not knowing where to go :oops:

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
cool but not very scary :/ i got to say that i got bored of walking (!!!) around and not knowing where to go :oops:

Not knowing where to go is the point sometimes. You have to figure it out without being shown the way.

4a

Not knowing where to go is the point sometimes. You have to figure it out without being shown the way.

I also didn't find it very scary and boring walking around. It took me quite a few minutes to figure out where to go after getting the umbrella.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!

This is the first Chapter :D .  Think of this more like a book, or even a movie.  Most things dont just start out with everything right there for you.  I wouldn't want to open a book and have everything laid out for me in Chapter One, I expect it to be kind of slow going. 

But I can understand if you expected more out of it in general, just be assured that the next Chapter will be much longer.  In fact, I have already made 100 screens and am not even close to finishing the level design itself.  Everything I've made up until now has been EXTREMELY linear, this is my first go at a level where you have to find out where to go.  So, I will learn more as I go! :D

It took me almost two weeks to finish Nifflas' "The Machine", now, I can beat it no problem, 'cause I know where to go.  If everything was told to you in The Machine, it wouldn't of been as fun.  Just explore, so what if you're walking, you don't have to be in a rush all the time.  :D
Teeeheee

Offline B-Man

• View Profile
Pretty good for a first chapter. I enjoyed it overall. :)

Spoiler: Deeper review (click to show/hide)

Looking forwards to Chapter 2! :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 00:05:33 by B-Man »

Offline Morendo

• View Profile
Heyyyyy can I get some help?
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I don't wish to poke around in the editor and I was being ignorant earlier.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
Updated.  I have fixed a few things, I will figure out a way to subtly give a hint to the umbrella password thingy, but give me some time, I got some other stuffs to do also :P .
Teeeheee

I just wanna say one thing about a level like this. A great KS mod comes along with such wonderful features. And this level takes every one of those and presents them in the most annoying way possible. Death from long falls, cutscenes going on without control, etc.
Lurk more.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
I just wanna say one thing about a level like this. A great KS mod comes along with such wonderful features. And this level takes every one of those and presents them in the most annoying way possible. Death from long falls, cutscenes going on without control, etc.

Actually, you can skip the cutscenes, which is mentioned in the FAQ in Blox's post.  That was very detailed feedback, thanks for that :D .   <_<
Teeeheee

Offline special_d

• View Profile
Man. Just barely gotten around to getting double jump without dying and I still got killed. This is certainly a challenge.

Well as i see it someone has to complain bout something dont they? (im not saying everyone but as i read i see a few)
i actually quite liked the intro (more like loved it , the atmoshere and everything was very good) and i started playing and it was a nice way to start chapter one  C)p
(sure i can say some bad things but they are mainly bad because im not used to it [long death fall thing] )
(also i havent finished the level, ill give you a detailed report when i do XD)

i look foward on how Doden Vantar will continue and progress

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
Downloaded.

Started playing.

:shocked:

Realised it's awesomeness and will finish playing when I got some spare time on my hands.

With other words, Great job sir James!
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
I can say that this level is presented very nicely and has a great theme. I can't wait for the other chapters.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

I take it back. This level is awesmoe. Except I'm stuck.

Was I supposed to go down the tunnels before this point?
Lurk more.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
You need the umbrella, you must go back up and then to the right to get to the umbrella puzzle.

Spoiler: Puzzle Solution (click to show/hide)

I am glad everyone is liking it!  I will try to work on the bad points in CH 2, so I dont annoy too many people XD .  There is no walking in CH 2 just to let you all know :P .  I wont promise that there wont be anymore walking throughout DV, but I can assure you that there will indeed be more running in the next installments.
Teeeheee