[Challenge][Hard/Very Hard][Small][KS+] Pest Control

• 8 Replies

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
[Challenge][Hard/Very Hard][Small][KS+] Pest Control
« on: July 12, 2024, 06:32:57 »
Hey folks, it's been a bit of a dry season over in Knyttland so I thought I would spice things up. Because Robin (pie_sniper) visits my city every year for family things, we just created our second jam level out of possibly many. You may remember our first being Ride the Train to Beck, you know, the level where you ride around on the train and actually play as the train. This one is called Pest Control and you play as an exterminator helping various families rid their homes of unpleasant creatures. It took us a week to make, much of the time spent in my living room with our laptops along with some chips and hummus. Like the last level, this one has a lot of jokes, gimmicks and weirdness. Have fun and definitely don't take yourself too seriously.

https://knyttlevels.com/levels/Lucinda%20and%20Robin%20-%20Pest%20Control%20v2.knytt.bin

(version 2 to fix a glaring graphical error in which Juni had multiple phone handsets)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 16:46:07 by Lucinda »
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Aradiant

• Creativity is only limited by ability
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge][Hard/Very Hard][Small][KS+] Pest Control
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 17:59:49 »
Great silly level! A nice little treat in these times (although, there were not as many challenges as I had envisioned originally >.> ), with that of approach and quirk to humour, which definitely made me smile a few times. It's also quite satisfactory that the quick replayability of the level allows to gather all endings (each is worth it's own replay! :Р)

Spoilery afterthoughts:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 03:03:36 »
I played this with a friend this evening, it was really funny and clever! I think we found all the endings...

Amazing work you two!! Looking forward to your possible future creations <3

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 04:40:08 »
Fun level with a lot of technical achievements. Definitely worth a few playthroughs.

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 09:34:54 »
Thank you so much people, my heart is truly warmed. Also, hi pfrangip!
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 22:44:03 »
Nice little level here. I think the concept works pretty well, as well as the ability to modulate the difficulty with optional powerups for different endings. Makes me wonder though if this concept could me modified a bit for a future level. Perhaps after each section, you select from a full list of powerups and that selection sets you on a different challenge the next day. Just a thought, of course.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 18:42:59 »
A beautiful one. Enjoyed it from the start to end and I totally will replay it again to get to all the endings. Music is great, giving it a memorable atmosphere.

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 02:36:36 »
Thanks, everyone! Glad you enjoyed our level. If you liked the transitions, here is the tool I created to make them. It is not at all polished, sorry! You can upload a custom image instead of the circle—SVGs will work best. Also, if anyone knows how to reduce the flickering I'd love to know.

Makes me wonder though if this concept could me modified a bit for a future level. Perhaps after each section, you select from a full list of powerups and that selection sets you on a different challenge the next day. Just a thought, of course.

I think there's a lot of room to explore this sort of progression in the future. We didn't really get to do that aspect of the design justice, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 03:01:59 by Pie_Sniper »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2024, 23:00:01 »
Great level, really sets the bar high for little funny levels. I hope you two will continue to work together from time to time. I especially liked the flat earther farm.