[Challenge][Hard][Medium][KS+] Shalev II: Shamira

• 18 Replies

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
[Challenge][Hard][Medium][KS+] Shalev II: Shamira
« on: February 24, 2024, 06:59:40 »
This is a sequel to the level Shalev, which I made in 2017. It's got the traits of the first one: peaceful nighttime atmosphere, ambient music, gameplay-focused design, and a "metroidvania open world" (allegedly, cause I still don't really know what that word means). I think the main difference is that this one's a lot more melancholy. There's also a lot less text, because I want to move away from making story-heavy levels for a while.

Important! This level uses several early access tilesets by Purple Ink that will appear in her forthcoming level, Tree of Life. I've beta tested it and it's really really good, you are all in for a wonderful surprise when it comes out before long.

I watched about 40 movies while making this level. I think my overall favorite was the 2011 film Margaret.

Version 2 features almost imperceptible bug/graphical/void fixes, and I've decided that the level is Medium, not Large.
https://knyttlevels.com/levels/Lucinda%20-%20Shamira%20v2.knytt.bin
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 05:09:36 by Lucinda »
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Challenge][Hard][Large][KS+] Shalev II: Shamira
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 15:55:00 »
Very enjoyable level, and I'm glad to see all the "big ticket" issues I pointed out fixed from the beta version.

From what I understand, the term "Metroidvania" is an ad-hoc name for a subgenre of (typically 2D) adventure platformer where you explore a large area that gradually opens up more and more as you obtain new abilities or otherwise unlock new zones, and also typically involves a lot of backtracking through old areas. As the name implies, this style was pioneered by games like Metroid and Castlevania (specifically Symphony of the Night). Technically, the original Nifflas levels The Machine and A Strange Dream are also Metroidvania levels. By contrast, Knytt Underground isn't so much a Metroidvania because as soon as you hit the main "open world", you already have your full kit and can go basically anywhere.

Anyhow, before I digress further, I'll say again that this is a well-done level, and the challenge for the most part isn't too distracting from traversing the various areas. The music choices are very nice. I particularly like the use of SineRider's tracks from the Music for Sleeping - Volume 1 album. I also appreciate the reference to Last of the salad days (however unintentional it may have been).
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 17:47:18 »
Thank you friend :D After you pointed out the accidental reference, I decided it was now officially "purposeful"

Offline pacifishi

• Av intet blir intet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 23:05:44 »
Imagine my surprise when the 'queen of dialogue' creates a level with minimal text that completely transcends the original. Absolutely love the atmosphere overall. The environment has a dream-like quality (wow that purple) and the music really ties it together (my personal favorite is the heavy synth song that plays in the floating cloud area, very bladerunner-esque).

The challenge was at a good level IMO. There were some a few trickier parts (like hopping over the baby spike ball inside the castle) which gave a feeling that this place is more dangerous than the first adventure, to good effect.

Looking forward to another playthrough of this!

P.S. THANK YOU for incorporating the minimap.

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 05:21:44 »
Thank you fishi! <3 I was really going for atmosphere. Haha, Blade Runner! Also, who me, queen of dialogue?????!!!!!

Offline fabiche

• I love 2D games :-D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 17:03:16 »
Hello Lucinda,

I just started your new level last night and I love it : the atmosphere, the association of colors and music, the small details (I play on videoproj and in large image it makes the whole more lively, more dynamic or more poetic depending on the desired atmosphere). I also like the layout of the blocks... there is an overall coherence that is super pleasant to navigate. I get into the level and relax :-)
I'm only at the beginning but it seems to be quite extensive.
More precisely I am at the place where there is the message "go back to the beach", just after finding the double jump power-up. So I returned to the boat but now I don't know where to go. Did I miss something? because I can no longer take the boat, it is not managed...

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 21:43:06 »
Go to the other beach, the one on the far right side of the map!

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 08:42:21 »
i will say this level was really hard until you got double jump but the challenges (except for jump over the copycat jumping spike ball on a single tile and grab the same tile's wall) felt really good. i liked going down the well and going into space.

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 09:50:58 »
Merci Lucinda,
I feel confused, yes I ended up going to the right, the huts and the statue should have reminded me of that
As I often play late at night before going to bed, I imagine that fatigue is playing tricks on me...
I am now in the place where the eye and the ghosts are, I'm going to go to the well now :-)
Thank you

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 14:46:11 »
i will say this level was really hard until you got double jump but the challenges (except for jump over the copycat jumping spike ball on a single tile and grab the same tile's wall) felt really good. i liked going down the well and going into space.

Thank you plural :) I've been working on improving my challenge design

Offline Aradiant

• Creativity is only limited by ability
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 08:09:13 »
I just finished this level, and I want to say that it was extremely satisfying to play. The aesthetics of this level are pretty good and even better when paired with the music. I also appreciate some design choices, such as the light providing helpful tips for exploring and other minor cool thingies. There was not a lot of story, but it was still touching. Thank you for making this awesome level. <3

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 15:30:56 »
Hello Lucinda,
I also just finished it. I won't elaborate here on everything I saw or felt there, but thank you for infusing it so subtly into your level. A lot of sensitivity, beauty and spirituality emerge. well done ;-)
PS : if you are interrested, I found a wall you can walk inside. At first I thought it was a secret but I think it's an oversight ;-)

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 00:44:57 »
Thank you friends! I fixed that enterable wall, I'm putting out version 2 before long.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 02:35:03 »
This level was a treat. I loved the music and, like plural, I found the gameplay really enjoyable. I also hope that couple tilesets Lucinda used don't spoil too much for my level.  X-P

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 18:47:17 »
We use the tilesets in such different ways, and Tree of Life is such an epic standalone experience. I doubt much is spoiled <3