The Machine [Large][Very Hard][Challenge]

• 27 Replies

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
The Machine [Large][Very Hard][Challenge]
« on: February 14, 2024, 10:11:19 »

Download: Nifforum - The Machine 48.48MB

Seventeen years ago there was a little Knytt named Juni that managed to turn off a machine and save her world. But what about the other worlds? What if an alternate reality existed where the machine was still on and still needed to be turned off? This is that story.

This is a collaborative level made by members of this community where every aspect of the original Nifflas level has been remade, remixed, and expanded. See and hear the interpretations of some of the best level designers, artists, and musicians that inhabit this community. Can you turn off this machine? Can you find all the secrets hidden throughout Juni's altered world? It's easier said than done. New sights, new sounds, and new challenges await in this familiar, yet, changed world.

Level redesign by Comhon, egomassive, Gliperal, ixMarcel, plural, Polana, sergiocornaga, StraightFlame, Talps, Vegetal Gibber, and Wibi
Music remixed by Fubaka, Lit Knob, LPChip, Lucinda, Vreschen, and Wibi
Art redrawn by egomassive, plural, Polana, Talps, Vegetal Gibber, and Wibi

The level can be played in vanilla KS and KS+. The latter enhancing the experience slightly.

Screens:

Thank you to Kilicool64 and lokser for advanced beta testing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 22:56:07 by LPChip »

Offline fabiche

• I love 2D games :-D
    • View Profile
Re: The Machine [Large][Very Hard][Challenge]
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 16:11:49 »
Awesome ! Thanks to you programmers of the community for this great start of the year gift.
At home in the east of France it has been raining for 2 weeks this new level will be my ray of sunshine
I'll get started on it this evening, great :-D

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 21:42:21 »
Awesome! I've been lurking in the discord channel following the later stages of development these past months, congratulations on releasing it! Can't wait to try it out  C)p
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 13:15:51 »
Ok friends,
i have just finished the level (normal & secret ending) So where to start...
Refreshing is the first word that comes to me. Then I can see  how good it is : the backgrounds, the musics remixed, the level design, details, etc... you really put the best of yourself. I will say in all honesty and without relying too much on flattery that it is close to the perfect level (for me). What a pleasure to modify the benchmarks of this level that we all know on the tip of the fingers. Change is good

But .... I couldn't completely finish the level because I only found 9 GC. I'm missing one to open the door marked with an X.
What is weird is that I found 2 others GC but they weren't managed (a dog and a kind of mollusc, I don't really know how to describe it lol)
I will wait for other people to play it and then I will start it again with great joy.

Congratulations again, very good team job ;-)

fabiche

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 02:06:02 »
Ok friends,
i have just finished the level (normal & secret ending) So where to start...
Refreshing is the first word that comes to me. Then I can see  how good it is : the backgrounds, the musics remixed, the level design, details, etc... you really put the best of yourself. I will say in all honesty and without relying too much on flattery that it is close to the perfect level (for me). What a pleasure to modify the benchmarks of this level that we all know on the tip of the fingers. Change is good

But .... I couldn't completely finish the level because I only found 9 GC. I'm missing one to open the door marked with an X.
What is weird is that I found 2 others GC but they weren't managed (a dog and a kind of mollusc, I don't really know how to describe it lol)
I will wait for other people to play it and then I will start it again with great joy.

Congratulations again, very good team job ;-)

fabiche
If you want help, you'd have to show which GCs you have. There are a total of 11 so that players can afford to miss one.

Alternatively, I played some late beta versions of the level, so you could also find the GCs there: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPY6G2hmt_KrTaB287-kznA_9YTSc7y4r

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 10:35:11 »
Hi kilicool64
Here are my GC ;-)
thanks

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 13:58:02 »
Hi kilicool64
Here are my GC ;-)
thanks
You're missing these two. Get one of them.

Also, the UI in your screenshot looks weird as hell. I can't even find one of these GCs on there. Are you using YKnytt?

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 14:55:06 »
Hi kilicool64
Here are my GC ;-)
thanks
You should avoid Yknytt, KS+ is better
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 14:56:43 »
Hi kilicool64
Here are my GC ;-)
thanks
You should avoid Yknytt, KS+ is better
Maybe he's not on Windows?

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 15:19:23 »
re kilicool64,

Thanks a lot, I actually remember meeting this two GC, now that I see your screens. It's just my memory that's failing me

I am on Windows 10 pro and I use Yknytt version 0.6.3 (sounds and bugs have been fixed)
link here if you want to try : https://github.com/jakerosado/KnyttStories/releases

Why ? Quite simply because it's less visually tiring for me, due to FPS and better fluidity (I wear big glasses) and ... because I can play KS with a joypad !!! (too difficult for me with keyboard) :-)

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 15:27:47 »
I agree with you Lit Knob, KS is better, and I used to play KS
In order to play it with a joypad I used a small program called "JoytoKey", but it seemed to me that it slowed down the game a bit...
Yknytt is made to be playet with joystick and and it works directly without slowing down :-)

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 15:28:39 »
you corrected, I was talking about KS+

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 15:48:53 »
0.6.3 only fixed some sound effects, there's still many bugs and inaccuracies (maybe even regressions?), and it's unfinished anyway.
Kili seems to play KS+ with a gamepad, so maybe she can help you with that.

Also, this forum has an Edit button
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 01:25:53 »
0.6.3 only fixed some sound effects, there's still many bugs and inaccuracies (maybe even regressions?), and it's unfinished anyway.
Kili seems to play KS+ with a gamepad, so maybe she can help you with that.

Also, this forum has an Edit button
Yeah, I play most of Nifflas' games with AntiMicroX nowadays. I can share my KS configuration if anyone wants it, though some may find it a bit weird (I personally find it a lot more comfortable to use the bottom and left face buttons as the primary ones rather than the bottom and right ones like most games map them). It also has special stuff like a dedicated D+S button for optimized double jumps.

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 15:44:17 »
Hello kilicool64
AntiMicroX actually looks a lot like JoytoKey, the program I used before Yknytt. I'm going to try it for the curiosity, to see if it slows down KS+ or not. Have you tried Yknytt ? if so, what do you think of it ? I would be interested by your feedback ;-)