[Challenge/Playground][Hard-Lunatic] [KS+] Gustav's Retribution

• 53 Replies

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Playground][Hard-Lunatic] [KS+] Gustav's Retribution
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2023, 23:26:22 »
And so, after two abandoned playthroughs, I finally played through the whole level again. Overall, my opinion has gotten more positive. The added save points and some toned down challenges really helped make this playthrough a lot less frustrating and more entertaining than my first. The added experience probably contributed as well. The level is in a pretty good state now. Obviously not without some further room for improvement, as my feedback made clear, but I'm rather satisfied now. Won't be forgetting about it any time soon.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 23:28:27 by kilicool64 »

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2023, 14:05:01 »
So I recently started making video playthroughs of Nifflas' games, which spontaneously inspired me to cover this level. Just finished it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPY6G2hmt_KrK2D04VroJVxc-GQ1g3AKw

You don't seem to be active at the moment, but if you come back and are still interested in giving this level some more polish, my playthrough could give some useful insight on which parts I found the hardest and where I discovered exploits. I found a few bugs on this playthrough as well. Don't remember much, but it turns out you can skip the fight with Bella by walking past her and picking up her coin that's just lying around.

Edit: Just remembered another tiny issue. On the left screen of the Azure Outpost, there are a handful of tiles that don't get transformed by the Astral Corruption.
« Last Edit: Today at 13:43:32 by kilicool64 »

Offline fabiche

• I love 2D games :-D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2023, 11:50:00 »
Hello kilicool64
I have not started yet Gustav's Retribution (I love Shreeps levels) because I am playing Reditus for the moment
I am a little bit lost in Reditus, not knowing where to go and going around in a loop
I saw that you finished it 100%. I'll see if your videos can help me to continue because I was a little discouraged not to find the exit
Thanks ;-)

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2023, 17:04:36 »
I can't wait to start this level... I would like to finish Salty Seas before  :) <3

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2023, 17:09:54 »
I can't wait to start this level... I would like to finish Salty Seas before  :) <3

Just so you know, Chapter 1 of Azure Serenity: Tranquil Dreams is significantly harder in difficulty than this level, mainly thanks to the final boss, which took me almost two hours. Feel free to play that first regardless, but you'll be in for a real challenge.

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2023, 13:37:04 »
Ok thanks kilicool ;-)
I finished Azure Serenity: Tranquil Dreams but the first version from 2014...and I even found everything including the 50 GC
however I don't remember a boss at the end. Is this new in the latest version ?
because here I only play the "Salty Seas" part, choice that I made in the menu of the last version

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2023, 23:43:34 »
Ok thanks kilicool ;-)
I finished Azure Serenity: Tranquil Dreams but the first version from 2014...and I even found everything including the 50 GC
however I don't remember a boss at the end. Is this new in the latest version ?
because here I only play the "Salty Seas" part, choice that I made in the menu of the last version
Just so you know, The Salty Seas is just a small part of the remake. It has a large chunk of the original's content as well with significant changes and additions. You missed out on a lot. The option to be sent straight to The Salty Seas exists for players who already played an earlier version of the remake, not for those who only played the original, which was just called Azure Serenity without Tranquil Dreams.

The final boss is the one you're struggling with right now, the Silver Priestess.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 23:46:24 by kilicool64 »

Offline fabiche

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2023, 13:37:17 »
ah ok so in a way it's a new adventure... so I'm saving it for later, thanks ;-)

Offline Shreeps

• View Profile
v7 on Apr 29 2024

https://knyttlevels.com/levels/Shreeps%20-%20Gustav%27s%20Retribution%20v7.knytt.bin

There is a new high quality music pack that you can download separately (256kbps for most) and just replace the music folder: https://mega.nz/folder/xG8WTTwT#zswssDikS6J3Y7BkurhHKg

Thanks to Kilicool64 for the higher quality default nurykabe tracks and Lit Knob for advising.

Higher quality sounds for most sfx are in the new version (7+) and don't need to be replaced.

Other notes and remembered changes:

Penitence Village credits spellcheck

Penitence Village interior 'eye' lights rotated

Some screens with ambi 1 should be fixed, like in Battlefield, Amberleaf, Echo Grove knyghts camp and Peach Woods defense.  new ones might come up?

fixed shadow guy during 1st esmeralda fight at 1hp

Added some message bubbles during tour
Added message bubble to sacrifice

you can no longer go back after triggering the last warp during the final escape screen

fixed some diving spots

fixed sand pit background

Hazelnut a few gradients changed in phase 2/3 to give more variety

added ghost to every screen on last phase of consecrate

Act XVIII message should not play more than once anymore

added save to scarlet hill gem spot

spirits of silverwood shift should put you on top of the eye and fixed void with warp

Fixed Ellictus icon on guide and .png

twilight falls build icon should be in front of the water now
argentfall defend icon should be in front of the water on every screen now

black text on the Wyrmridon Catacombs' half of their credits image.

Abandoned Camp is now just Autumn Plains for world map 2nd phase.

Gustav's farm interior should have a new screen where hes gone for inbetween castle assault and astral corruption

Mount StarFlame defense,  Peach woods defense, and pumpkin village defense are just a little harder,  others may have minor tweaks

Ellictus and Bella are given shields for most phases of their boss fights and so are a decent amount harder, Ellictus is still easy but hopefully bellas not too hard now.

Bella skip should be fixed.  You should be able to run past her and keep going around the zone.  If you come back she will be gone until you leave the zone or come back from the left side.
Also, this has bugged me for a while, but why are the entrances placed to the left of Mossgate Village's small doors? -  I dont think the author meant for people to go inside these for in his own level paradise last but he just let people use the tiles.

Edit 2: Why is there a second instance of a golden creature at the bottom of this screen of the guide?   -  the icon is just part of the background and the one popping up is a golden co.  it has to be close to the player to pop up and when its collected the background icon version will still show up. 

Edit 4: Okay, so if I understand correctly, the level has two separate flags for the consecration of Silverwood Cemetery and the appearance of the evil wizards, right? And I believe returning to Gustav's house after the former is triggered is what's meant to trigger the latter. However, if you head to the Valley of Rust with just the former, the evil wizards will already be there (but only in the second part of the area). Rescuing Gustav's lion then progresses the story, causing the evil wizard flag to be triggered despite Gustav never telling you his lion was kidnapped. That seems unintentional.  Edit 4: Looking at the guide, it appears that perhaps the evil wizard flag is actually meant to be triggered by saving Gustav's lion in the Valley of Rust. So perhaps it actually is working correctly after all. It's just a bit weird that you can save the lion before even learning that it got kidnapped.  - the wizards occupy valley of rust with the lion after consecrate but wizards camps don't show up in the world until after the castle assault.  the knyghts at the castle tell you to go talk to gustav but you dont have to talk to them or gustav before getting the lion.

Edit 8: Considering it's the knight to the right of the castle rather than the wizard explaining the orb who tells you of the existence of the library, would it not make more sense for the former to explain how to navigate it?  - I think more people will talk to the mage but some might accidently skip the knight

Edit: With the flippers, you can actually dive right through these blocks. Though I'm not sure anything can be done about that. - I think this would be a cool thing to use as a mechanic.  Super-drill?

Edit 2: This text box suddenly popped up when I reached that spot, despite me having already seen the same text when I fell into the Rosecore. Perhaps it's because I also got the text box for the Altar of Xethiz? - This spot is the entrance to the zone from the scorian portal shortcut

Edit 5: The dialog for the yellow wizard who can remove Nyx's barrier is bugged. He falsely claimed I still needed two more feathers. Perhaps it's because you didn't expect players to have not only the two feathers from the evil wizard tents, but also the one from the Rosecore? Regardless, I was still able to progress. - hes saying HE needs 2 more feathers but I took out the word more

On a side note, these weird floating enemies in the Forbidding Archives rotate so rapidly that looking at them too closely actually makes me physically uncomfortable due to my photosensitivity. Can the rate at which they rotate be slowed down? - it seems to be unaffected by whatever anim speed i put, i guess the object's settings override?

Edit 6: Is the entrance to that house supposed to disappear once the Valley of Rust becomes the Valley of Dust? - yes theres no more need for this house and I never even made a post astral version

Edit 8: I believe it got nerfed, but the third-last phase of the Nyx battle is still by far the hardest for me. I find that I can only really keep track of the projectiles somewhat reliably while I'm holding down the button. I usually died either before or after that. Dodging side shooters from both directions at a medium distance is already hard by itself. With the addition of lots of homing projectiles, it becomes more than I can keep track of at once. -  climbing on the side of the solid white  blocks can help a lot here when theres so many bullets

Edit 9: What's that item near the right wall in the Penitence Village shop supposed to be? It looks like the thing marking the last column of the guide. Don't recall what that is, but I don't have it yet. So the shopkeeper's claim that I already have everything he sells except the watch isn't really true. Also, is that magnet supposed to represent anything? Technically, I don't have that either.  -  The icon is the shield for the 'defend' icon, and he says 'basically', there still might be some things juni doesn't have yet but none are significant or worthwhile enough to get or talk about.  a long time ago i made a magnet and was going to require it to progress in lace citadel, probably buying it from Paladin shop.

Edit 10: The moon has plenty of spots where enemies can partially shoot through solid tiles as long as you don't have the radiation suit. Was that a side effect of implementing the whole radioactivity mechanic? - yes i couldnt find a way to place the invis death blocks right on the moon blocks but also have the platforms be totally solid to projectiles.  The parts touching the safe zones should always shield you from shots from the other side

Edit 17: Okay, so Agatrix is also one of Xethiz's minions? In that case, why did she throw the fight in the arena? I originally assumed she was just some random weakling who had no idea what she signed up for. - just to get info on the other fighters and agatrix is supposed to suck and be the weakest of the disciples in his knytt form but he is  still throwing a little in the arena.

Edit 20: The world map behaved a bit weirdly after Xethiz appeared. At first, my movement was slowed down and I couldn't enter locations. But after moving to the screen to the right, the normal behavior was restored again. Was this deliberate? - yes to make it less likely people skip it on accident

Edit 22: At the end of Bella's Eternal Annihilation phase, I could see the screen with Gustav for a split second before it turned white and faded back to it. That didn't happen with the others so far. - dont know why, I see most of them a split second but theres also lots of screen layers and effects on all these screens that don't load before the tileset/gradient

Edit 25: Does its credits image really depict the foliage in the Celestial Oasis accurately? I thought it had a trippy filter applied to it. - just the underwater part is trippy, the regular part is a little misty

Edit 28: The last credits image doesn't seem to say who made the sprites for the five disciples.  - So Much Work So Pointless by Nifflas

« Last Edit: Today at 12:09:25 by Shreeps »