possible exploit

• 9 Replies

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
possible exploit
« on: May 02, 2009, 04:58:19 »
I'm posting this here because it concerns a level at Knytt Stories Archive and I'm not sure where else I would have posted so if this is the wrong place...I apologize.

Someone with the author name, Bentendowhis, has twice posted a level call Super Juni Bros., two diff. versions. After installation each version has come back with error: possible exploit. I've seen this before and really don't understand. Maybe I don't have to and this is my sneaky way of letting Bentendowhis know he/she has not uploaded their level correctly.  ;)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: possible exploit
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 05:54:07 »
This sort of error is addressed in the [FAQ].

Presumably once the archive is finished, there will be some feature allowing users to tell level uploaders that their level is corrupt. For now, there's no real way to let this person know that their level is corrupted directly.
good bye

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 06:29:29 »
If it says 'possible exploit', that means the level is corrupt for one reason or another; even if it was uploaded correctly. The only way to 'fix' it is to download another, working version. In this case you'd have to ask for the author to do so, which may be hard to do. This seems to happen a lot, and it would be nice if the level archive saved checksums, to automatically alert if a level has somehow been corrupted.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 20:41:04 »
It can also mean that the level directory has a non-allowed symbol, e.g. a dot.

If the level is called "Super Mario Bros." that sounds like a reasaonable explanation.

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 02:48:55 »
I ran across this same problem and it can be fixed like this:

1. Open the file in notepad or wordpad
2. On the first line, find the . in the name and delete (so instead of Super Juni Bros. 1-1, it's Super Juni Bros 1-1)
3. Save the file
4. Re-install it

That should fix it right away.
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 01:43:19 »
Thanks for that solution but though I followed your instructions to the letter it still does not work. I tried first time with notepad, dropped the file to install and the install bunny just stayed at the left and stayed and stayed and stayed.....never moved. Had to ctrl, alt, del and close that out. Tried again removing the "." from the title in wordpad and this time got a "file corrupt" on install.

Maybe the solution for this type of problem can be better addressed once the new Knytt Stories Level Archive is up and running.....some day.  X)

Offline TechnoGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:49:48 »
i could upload a bugfix version sometime, as soon as i can find it...

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 02:29:20 »
i could upload a bugfix version sometime, as soon as i can find it...
Is it your level? If not you would need the author's permission. Of course the first thing to try would be reinstalling the level, or you could pm the author for a zip.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:01:59 »
I'd modify the file in a hex editor rather than notepad to keep the binary data intact.

Offline TechnoGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 23:02:06 »
I'd modify the file in a hex editor rather than notepad to keep the binary data intact.
my bad, i actually used notepad++ (which does keep binary data intact)